Iron Man #5 - An "Organic Webbing"-esque change?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by thefrozenred, Jan 14, 2006.

1. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    So...uhm...half of it as an updated, and beautifully illustrated, origin story. I guess they sort of needed one, but I'm irritated that I waited 4 or 5 months for this comic and HALF of it is shit I already KNOW.

The other half is [-------SPOILERS---------] a little too weird for my tastes. Anyone who reads Iron Man knows that Stark has a thing for upgrading the armor, etc etc, but as seen in ~#240 volume 1 on upward and the sentient armor/Ultron heart arc in volume 3, he's also a little paranoid about becoming too reliant and too involved with technology (in the latter instance, his body had a sort of technological system running through it that allowed Stark to be manipulated, first by some baddies in the "Armor Wars II" arc, then by Immortus when Tony went crazy evil before Onslaught). Essentially, previous issues have shown Stark to really be wary and uncomfortable when it came to making technology a big part of his personal being. And now he has part of the suit STORED in his body?

It could be very cool. It also explains how he's able to multitask so completely in the armor, as we've seen in issues of New Avengers where he's able to take in several I/O streams at once. But I fear that they're taking the "Invincible" in the title of the comic a little too far...a hero is no fun unless he has a weakness.

Also, this reminds me of the organic webbing change in Spider-Man...integrating a major change to the status-quo in the character's physiology, so that going back to the way things used to be doesn't make much sense anymore. I'm not sure I really like this new change, either...Marvel really does like to "update" its properties, it appears.

Granov's first full page of the fully suited-up Iron Man featured a mis-shaped head, too (chin too narrow)...it's a shame, because it would have been a REALLY cool shot.

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I actually thought the splash of the new armor was very well done. it supposed to be very thin and sleek. Remember, the suit is bulky because of all the technology, not the armor itself. Now that the tech is inside himself, the armor is only a very very thin shell.

Personally I am on the road to buying one of the original armor pages he did. Now those were awesome shots.

3. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Pencils? Yeah, they look damned nice, but for me it's the coloring that REALLY makes Granov's art fantastic.

4. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I kinda took it as the armor still has all the Hardwired hardware in it, repulsors, uni beam, sensors, force fields, etc, but now Tony has a direct interface to the armor, via his "wetware" upgrade. So insted of having the brain patterns pick up in the helmet, the whole underskin is now the pick up.
    Look at it like this, in the past, when Tony needed more strength in his arms to hold something, he would have to "manually" reroute power from other systems to compensate the over boost he needed. Now the suit will pick up that his arms are straining and auto ajust power. Plus I am sure it will give him a limited telepressence control over the armor, so he can really be in two places in public, to show he is no longer Iron Man.
    I am not completely sold on the idea, but damn, its a fresh idea in a book thats been sorely lacking any.

5. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    True, but I'm always wary when it comes to (what appear to be) permenant changes to a character's status quo. These are things you can't go back and undo very easily, unless you just choose to ignore them (see: volume 3 Ultron heart, which has vanished completely (perhaps blame can be put to Wanda Maximoff for that)).

I think it's a really neat idea...essentially being SKIN 2.0. I just wonder how long it'll take before Iron Man's editorial team gives someone the go ahead to write a story in which Tony's new Extremis programming is somehow hacked and manipulated.

Although, if Tony did grow new organs...maybe that means he could start drinking again? That'd be an interesting path to develop.

6. Dangard Ace

Dangard Ace Well-Known Member

Ooo....Tony's become the Engineer from The Authority.

7. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    What can that character do...? The Engineer, I mean?

I guess, if you really want to get creative with the new Extremis suit, Tony might be able to build new components of his suit on the spot, like the Eidolon warwear. Not sure if they would do that, but I guess they could.

8. Dangard Ace

Dangard Ace Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer_%28comics%29

After the first Engineer was killed, Angela "Angie" Spica's home computer filled up with all his notes in nanotechnology and started linking it to her work in human-machine fusion. She had known him in real life, but she didn't knew he was the Engineer until then. She distilled an incalculable number of intelligent devices into nine pints of liquid machinery and exchanged her blood for it. This nanotechnology gives her vast mechanical abilities: the liquid metal covers her body at will, allows her to fly and to create anything she can imagine, like any kind of weapons or radiotelepathy bugs.