Iron Man 3 Official Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by RebelMan, Dec 14, 2010.

1. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    12/14/10 at 3:15 PM
    Source: NYMag.com

The poet Robert Browning once wrote that "a man in armor is his armor's slave." By that logic, director Jon Favreau is now a free man: Insiders tell Vulture that Favreau has just informed Marvel Studios that he won't direct a third Iron Man film.

It's unclear whether the impasse was financial or creative or both. One informed source hears that he was frustrated with Marvel's urge to stuff more of their in-house heroes into the next film in the wake of The Avengers. In a recent interview with MTV News, Favreau explained that based on his conversations with Marvel Studios executives, he had no clarity as to what a third Iron Man film would even be about. “In theory, Iron Man 3 is going to be a sequel or continuation of Thor, Hulk, Captain America and Avengers,” said Favreau at the time, “This whole world … I have no idea what it is. I don’t think they do either, from conversations I’ve had with those guys.”

Still other industry insiders look at Favreau's growing price tag and speculate that he was getting too expensive for the frugal Marvel and its equally cost-conscious parent company, Disney. In fact, one Hollywood player familiar with Marvel's playbook theorizes that the company had been pushing a confusing and packed vision of the third film as a tactic to provoke Favreau into leaving the project. Favreau, after all, is said to have received $10 million for the Iron Man sequel; it's unclear what he'd be seeking for a third film, but reps familiar with these sorts of gross participation deals tell Vulture that he likely would command $12 million to $15 million up front, plus a 15 percent percent of the gross after the film recouped. With star Robert Downey Jr. also participating in the gross (and so far it's a $1.2 billion global franchise), that's an enormous amount of cash headed out the door. Disney has got to be protective of their profits for an IM3: It bought Marvel for $4 billion in 2009, and then this October paid Paramount Pictures $115 million for the distribution rights to The Avengers and Iron Man 3 in order to reunite the titles with their parent company.

Regardless of why, we’re told that Marvel quietly began the process of finding a director to replace Favreau last night. But Marvel’s task is complicated by the fact that Downey Jr. has both contractually negotiated director approval and is currently the hottest leading man in Hollywood with first pick of dozens of "go" movies around town.

Favreau will be staying on the Disney lot, at least for now: His next project will be the studio's Magic Kingdom, about a family trapped in Disneyland and their magical encounters with all sorts of Disney attractions and rides. Marvel currently has no script for a third Iron Man, and while it has no plans to shoot the film until 2012 at the earliest, Marvel execs hope to put a director on the project to guide its development as soon as possible.

2. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    There it goes.....

3. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    And my anticipation for IM3 slowly begins to go down the drain....

4. exclusacon

News Credits:
    Disney is slowly but surely will kill Marvel......

5. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

Definitely terrible news for iron man fans but at least we got two awesome films and the third might still turn out good. Look on the bright side, u could've been tf's fans and gotten screwed from the get go. We got a shit director and two shit films with a third shit one on the way.

6. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Having all the movies in the same universe is cool but if it's going to cause a lot of problems then I'd rather they just try to focus more on each movie being it's own story!

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That sucks.

8. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    I wouldn't go THAT far.

This is nothing new in the movie industry. While hearing this hurt my expectations of the 3rd movie, I'm not gonna go around saying "RUINED FOREVER".

I like the Tf movies, thank you very much....

9. exclusacon

News Credits:
    its called IronMan, but they want to include 4 other franchises into 1 movie? So is it Avengers 2 or IM3?

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Many, many people do, both casual movie goers and diehard fans alike.

11. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    It's going to follow IM after the events of "The Avengers". You know, like a spin-off comic from a big crossover event.

12. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Marvel was cheap before Disney. That's how they lost Terrance Howard for 2. I can see this going the way of the comics if they are not careful. But yes if they try to cram too many characters in or rush it into production, it could go the way of Spider-man 3. The third movie is almost always the worst superhero movie. It's the one where the studio and producers decide they need the most involvement in.

Movie break down order in a trilogy:

1st movie: Most of the movie is spent on the character and their origin.
    2nd movie: With all of the origin out of the way the director can focus on the action and upping the stakes.
    3rd movie: Usually the last in a trilogy, so the studios get involved in what characters they want(usually for possible spin offs) How things look, so there can be more merchandise, and putting their own stamp on it so it's theirs not the directors. Because this is the third film, the mindless sheep will go to it based on name alone, they need to worry about the spin off. This can usually be seen in the script process and that the script will have 30 or so rewrites. This is where the move jumps the shark and becomes either tolerable or awful, but the 3rd movie in a superhero series is rarely good. 3rd movie is all about making money and merchandise, not about the plot, or making a good movie.

13. iwasherenotyou

iwasherenotyou Medical Officer

News Credits:
    It hasn't been confirmed by Jon Favreau himself so for me it's just a rumor right now. I just hope this isn't true.

14. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Meh, I'm okay with it. Iron Man was amazing, but Iron Man 2 was only good. Give someone else a shot at it.

15. exclusacon

News Credits:
    But don't you think that's doing too much?

Outside the fans, most people can't keep up with 2 villians, so I can't imagine everybody being in it would be any easier

16. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Um.....No...
    Do you honestly expect them to make Iron Man 3 without even acknowledging the Avengers?

17. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    Who's saying the entire cast of the Avengers is even gonna BE in IM3?

You're assuming things.

18. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    All I can hope for is that they use the same actors and same designs for the Avengers movie and give Iron Man some good action scenes and a lot of Tony Stark.

19. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    ...And there goes my excitement.

20. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I second that.