Iron Man #11, with spoilers

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by thefrozenred, Aug 30, 2006.

1. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    In the penultimate issue of Knauf's first (and hopefully not final) Iron Man arc, we discover:

(a) how Tony's being controlled (and it's not be Extremis!)
    (b) who the grand manipulator was (well, meh)
    and
    (c) why Tony was building all those several other Iron Man units

I kind of like the notion of Yin-Sen putting a magnetic control device in Stark's brain, but at the same time...even WITH the updated mythology (ie, this all happening in the 90s, not 60s), that's still a pretty big stretch. But, in any case, it's a lot better than Extremis being used to control Stark.

As for the manipulator being Yin-Sen's kid...I don't like that much. Mostly because we didn't even know he EXISTED until now, so using him feels like a copout. I would have PREFERRED if Yin-Sen's family had been framed for all this, while someone like the Mandarin's son (a WEALTH of untapped potential there, especially given the work done by Grell) would have been a far more logical choice of character. Also still not crazy about the updated mythos; Tony gets hurt in Afghanistan, not Southeast Asia, he's not captured by that one fat Asian guy, etcetc. I think you can STILL use the fundamentals of the origin story, but update it for modern times (by saying something like, "the Taliban were in Southeast Asia," etcetc). But, if you look back at the past few years of Iron Man, they've had THREE new/retellings of the origin story (Grell and Miller in v.3, and then Ellis in v.4).

In any case, this arc could fit in well with Civil War; perhaps the reason Tony was so gung-ho to go AGAINST Cap was in part because Cap wouldn't back him here. Maybe Tony's part in CW is, partially, in response to hurt feelings inflicted by Cap's distrust of him during this arc.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the conclusion, and how Tony smarts his way out of this predicament.

(And, for the record? Beating the Sentry by having Cloc tell him about various fictional disasters all happening within seconds of each other? Awesome)

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

It's been a great arc. I have you and Wreckgar to blame for getting me hooked on the current series. Bastards! :p 

3. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    :D 

We indeed do our jobs very well, my friend.

4. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

so iron man isnt a dick? whew.

5. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

So tonight I caught myself up through this new series, I gotta say I'm hooked as well. This arc has been really interesting and it's been a long time since I gone and read a Iron Man comic(solo book I mean). I'm really curious to see how Tony is going to get himself out of this one.

Oh and Tony using Cloc to make Sentry's head asplode trying to figure out how he'll save everyone, brilliant!

6. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

This reminds me, I have to e-mail Zircher to see about getting a page of art from him.

Anyway, the Cloc thing was fantastically awesome. Talk about screwing with an already confused mind. It's like sticking Twin Twist in a round room and telling him to sit in the corner.

Otherwise, the run has been above and beyond what i expected. Sure beats the hell out of the Avengers Disassembled crap story and since it's on time and I can remember one issue to the next, it also beats Extremis. I hope these guys stay on the book for a good long time.

7. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Well...he sort of is. He doesn't trust his friends (Reed, Cap (this is pre-CW), Fury, etc), so he sends them on a wild goose chase so that they can't interfere while he apprehends the real mastermind behind this whole mess. He intentionally misleads them, and (to boot) he has Cloc give Sentry a 5 hour guilt session, with feelings of powerlessness and responsibility over letting thousands of (fictitious) people die.

So yeah, he's still sort of a dick. But a dick for a good cause!

8. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Genius!

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

:lolol 

10. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Please refer to my sig :) 
    Ahem as for the issue. I love the part where he goes, "Heres a live feed from my cortex." And everyone all of the sudden figure out that the suit was empty. It was a subtle way of Tony saying, "I'm STILL smarter than you primates!" :rock