Non-TF: Iron John (wip)

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Superquad7, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey guys, well I was snowed in and I got to looking back through my portfolio of older works. I came across this piece that I illustrated for my illustration class in college a few years ago, and had always intended to color it [e.g., finish the colors, as I had laid down the flats]. I figured, "I'd like to see this finished." The next thing I know I had PS opened and was coloring away.

If you aren't familiar with Iron John, perhaps this article will help acquaint you: Iron John - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Our assignment was to illustrate the story, essentially with a bit of re-imagining. Of course, I love robots, and I wanted to draw a huge, clunky, grunged out robot. I also wanted the illustration itself to be really grungy, so I added a lot of ink splatter. :) 

I haven't finished it yet, but I thought I'd share my progress with you guys. I've still much to do on this guy, and you can probably tell the areas that I've left to go. I also want to add some reflected light from the background. The figure still only retains much of his flats. I remember when I first brought the image into PS that I hit the flats with one gradient and then just closed out.

It's been a while since I've colored an illustration of mine, and I found myself trying to get some of the rust off. Mind you, it's not like I've completely not done anything! :lol  I've done some illustrations here and there, mostly for CybCon. As with anything in life as well, I'm still learning, too :) 

Anyways, enjoy! :thumb 

*UPDATE* I did more work :)  I played around with the background some. I hadn't really intended to, but I liked how it turned out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  2. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm really digging the background, but the darks make some of the details less obvious.
    Can you post a shot of the piece before colors? It looks like the inks are really nice.

3. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Sure, I'll try to do that later tonight. Thanks for the comments, and thank you for posting :thumb 

4. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well, I didn't quite get to it as soon as I'd liked, but the line art is posted now :) 

5. jazz_00

jazz_00 legen wait 4 it dary

im really digging the grunge effect here i like it a lot

-Jazz

6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks man, I really appreciate the comments and you taking the time to post. :) 

It's always nice to change things up a bit, and making a robot (and an overall illustration) this grungy was certainly a bit more outside the norm for me. I must say that even prior to this illustration (circa 2002-03), I noticed that I was attracted to a lot of the more grungy type illustrations regarding robots in general, even Transformers. One of the results of this observation is my preference to scan my illustrations inked by my hand rather than to ink over my pencils in a program. Though, I also think this is just the oldskooler in me, too :) 

7. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That looks really cool. :) 

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks a lot, buddy! I appreciate you taking the time to post :) 

I really love to illustrate, but this piece really reminded me how rusty I am. I hope that I can take the rust off soon :) 

9. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Pretty good, I'd say.

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks for the kind words and that you took the time to post; it's really appreciated :)