Iron Factory Legends not-Stormbringer Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Scaleface, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You hankering after a job with these lads as well? ;) 

In the main I agree. The only issue I have is the leg armour occasionally popping out but that's more me trying to do things it can't do than a poor fit. Everything else is solid as.

He does creak a bit which is a new thing for IF but he doesn't feel cheap in any way shape or form - different to say, their Magnus - but still great in hand. I'm not really noticing much of a difference with how he feels compared to Trident and Gladius from the Knights set. And these limits on articulation, they're simply not an issue for me. He poses really well. Several video reviews out there now, countless pics, and the shoulders are still not being utilised to the extent of their range by most (I'd recommend the toy being at room temperature breaking that ball joint in given how tight it is).

Reposting to demonstrate, my apologies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Armoured up legs are limited in forward motion, yes, but again, I'm working round it and getting decent poses;

[​IMG]

I don't think he's their best figure, I do think he's a very good toy and I do admire the potential he has as a playset and armoury for other figures. I bought two, because the look of both robot forms are so good and so different that it warranted both in my display. I don't do that. Wary of me fanboying here, but hey, his achievements are worth defending.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I got the job because I am critical of mmc's work, not defensive or apologetic.

100% agree, perfectly accurate assessment of his ups and downs. And that's just it, you've reasonably critiqued him in a manner that is appropriate and fair. Some other people however are being needlessly picky and overly negative over things that this figure simply shouldn't be judged so harshly over in my opinion. Were it a voyager, an ultra, any other larger size class a lot less of its drawbacks could be excused. Buts its not, so it should be assessed as the legends scale tiny deluxe set that it is. Armor figures have a history of severe posability limitation, it goes hand in hand with that gimmick. And even by those standards this guy is exceptional despite being so tiny.

Again one of the best things in this size class I own, would happily buy another copy of him despite the drawbacks he has.

• Like Like x 3
  3. huggniceman

huggniceman Active Member

Might be a stupid question but want to double check before ordering from Kapow...

Does every Ultimate Commander come with Elita-1? She's really going to seal the deal on whether or not I get this guy.

4. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As I understand it, the first run of Ultimate Commander comes with Elita-1, but later runs won't.

5. GunplaGamer

GunplaGamer Swerve’s Best Customer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I have had this guy for like a month or so and really enjoy this guy!! Also Alleria is awesome as well! :D  I did a video review that I just kept on becoming way to busy to upload...also had to remake it twice cause the first two were WAY too long.

6. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Got this guy mint with Elita anyone interested PM me. Reducing...

7. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I completely forgot this guy came with Elita, never opened her.

Is anyone interested in her? I know some people didn't want the prime.

8. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  9. kukuburd

kukuburd Eh?

i've had time to fiddle with this guy for some time now, and I'm sorry to say but I don't think i will be touching any of Iron factory's future releases. The poor transforming precision, creaky, arthritic joints and lack of general polish on stormbringer was something that i felt on the day i received my figure, and it has just gotten more and more unbearable over time. Especially after factoring the price. I love the look of this guy and all IF releases in general, but I also like to play with my bots. I have this guy on my office desk, and each time i reach out to transform this guy, i always end up feeling sad and unsatisfied.

It's the same story with my first IF figure, City commander. Looks great, poses great, but transforming him is no fun at all as it just makes me painfully aware of all his little imperfections. The feet with poor fitting tabs that don't tab together, the faux wheels that don't sit flush with surface he's on, shoulders that don't lock together in alt mode, etc etc. Say what you want about Hasbro stuff, but I have more fun transforming my TR Kup and Triggerhappy, even with their cheap shampoo bottle plastic.

However, each time i look at my IF toys, and of the awesome pictures posted here by fellow community members, they always look amazing. Simply amazing. And i can't help but want to buy and collect them. There is a major disconnect between my visual appreciation of IF products vs. my actual in-hand feelings abt them.

i was genuinely looking forward to their bruticus set, but after much deliberation i've decided to pass on IF's stuff from now on. They've been on the scene for some time now and if strombringer is the best they can do up to this point, I doubt they will be improving the fit & finish of their products any further.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Kuma Style

News Credits:

11. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  12. NemesisGamer

NemesisGamer Bane of Your Wallet

I really like this figure, even with its faults it's still one of my favorite!

image.jpg

Oh I also figured out a way to store everything on him, even the big sword! Which makes him better to me. (I like to be able to store everything and I think having the sword on his back looks pretty cool)

image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. IronMagnus

IronMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's something you can do.

Put the twin blasters on the red wings (I like to peg them on the 'forward' side, as he balances better).

In his hands put his main rifle in one and his combined sword/axe in the other.

Now here's where it gets fun. The 'double' cannon, you can take each one off of the center piece. If you look at the rear part of his waist, the pegs that his arms fit on to in vehicle mode will fit these cannons. Then, take the middle piece and stick it on the bottom of the handle of the sword/axe as a pommel.

14. Spadeshock

Spadeshock Mostly unpleasant

This guys bot mode rules, but wow is his transformation and alt mode totally slap dash. I don't feel like this nice action figure is worth the 70$ I paid for it.

15. Grievlocke

Grievlocke Omni Armory

News Credits:
    The alt mode is a pretty faithful recreation of the War Within / Stormbringer rendition.

16. Spadeshock

I don't mind the aesthetics of the alt mode, i just think it just lacks polish. I mean, if the hands could fold away, and the torso section could lock somehow so all the wheels would touch the ground I would feel very differently. Maybe my expectations are a bit high for a tiny figure with a transforming armor set, but I just don't personally feel it's worth the asking price.
    But holy crap does it look good in pictures.

17. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is one of the less pleasing IF figures in hand for me. Enough that I'll be hesitant to pick up the pending repaint at anywhere near full price. But knowing IF can really nail colors in a satisfying way, it'll probably look fantastic. Tbh the articulation and somewhat messy armor attachment methods are the biggest downsides. Visually he looks pretty cool. I just like dynamic posability a lot for these little figures and in this case he can barely do even some standard poses when armored up.

18. kmopotato

kmopotato spends too much on this shit

My experience with the IF figures are that they all just needed one extra little oomph. Usually it involves one or two more extra bits of articulation. For example, windblade really needed wrists or a bicep swivel.

19. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    It would be nice if Iron Factory did a run of this with just the Optimus figure at a cheaper price point. Its the perfect size Optimus to face off with the DX9 WIP Megatron, but mine is in full God Ginrai mode cause... God Ginrai.

20. Spadeshock

DX9 has been improving a lot over their past few releases. Hopefully iron factory takes notice. I'd love if their Brutics was great.