Iron Army Try-outs

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by asphalt, Jun 11, 2012.

1. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    I ended up with a handful of PCC combiner commanders so I decided to gather them all up as well as a sampling of weapons. Some work pretty well. Some not so much. I do hope they decide to make more sets, I could go for some sea themed and rescue themed.

This is my favorite body combo. I think this is the one I will stick with for display. He is holding the guns from Headrobots.
    [​IMG]

with Bruticus Shotguns
    [​IMG]

With Shadow Commander's Sword
    [​IMG]

With Protector's Gun and Kup's rifle
    [​IMG]

with Windburn's rotors
    [​IMG]

So even if you don't have the military based cores the iron army set is still worth getting, and it does indeed appear that the hands can easily hold any 5mm peg.

Attached Files:

2. leobreaker1977

leobreaker1977 Well-Known Member

bombshock looks the best IMO, but I can't get my head around the estetic of the set, why did they think circa WW2 vehicles would look ok with the pcc choices? I have said it before, these limbs are what the should have been with the 5 packs, but the only thing i am interested in at the moment are the hands and feet.

3. Thunderthruster

Thunderthruster Autobot Supersoldier

News Credits:
    I was starting have second thoughts about this set, but these shots have re-affirmed that they're well worth the purchase.

4. Spyne98

Spyne98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    These look pretty neat. I have some of those PCC guys so I may go ahead and buy them to try this. Thanks man!

5. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ...while they do look quite neat... why is this thread not on the 3rd Party forum instead of Radicons? Do you mean to repaint the batch eventually..?

6. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    I do plan to do some painting, but at the moment you are right it probably should have been in the other section since it is just parts mixing at this point.

7. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No big... just that odds are this'll get moved by a mod soon... anyway...

Windburn as a commander with those limbs looks surprisingly good. Thought it was a nice scout, but at least with stock drone limbs, it looked bad in combiner mode... guess it really is the damn limbs at fault, as usual.

Smolder looks goofy. But then again, I like his scout mode way more anyway... hehe.

Huffer and Undertow look pretty good... but they make rather odd leaders for a military combiner team.

8. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    I think they are all promising with the exception of smolder. The way he transforms to be a combiner core just makes him too gangly. All of the others have good potential if more limbs are ever produced.

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Simply start a new thread in Customs when you get to this. :) 

10. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    really liking the first and third pictures.
    any chance you can take pictures again with the tanks turned sideways for leg modes?
    can't wait to get the iron army sets and do some experimenting myself :D 

11. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This has probably been commented on many times by now, but I happened to notice this morning that the main colors of the four Iron Army figures match the colors of the G1 Bruticus limbs. Makes me wonder if that was intentional.

12. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^ Pretty sure it was. At least subliminally when combined with Bombshock it should make us think of Bruticus. XD

13. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    Now if only we had gotten a WW era core to go with them. I like them with the various PCCs but a matching era core would rock.

14. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    If TFC made their own WWII commander for the limbs I might be interested. But as it stands right now I just see a huge clash in styles with all of these combinations. As if that wasn't bad enough, if these Iron Army figures come in VS packs, what they hell are they doing teaming up for a combiner?

15. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    photo2.JPG

Sorry for it not being a good photo. But basically I think of this guy as "1945 Burticus" the older smaller verson of modren Bruticus with the much cooler guns.

Overall he's not bad for a cheap little combiner. He's actually around the same size as my G1 Devy with it's power o dDestruction addon set.

For the money spend on it I'm plensently surprised with my mini old Bruticus.

16. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Scramble city!
    [​IMG]

17. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    I suppose if one wanted to come up with some kind of G1 reasoning for Iron Army's existence, you could say he's the base version cobbled together by Starscream out of abandoned military vehicles from Guadalcanal in "Starscream's Brigade," but when the Combaticons later properly joined the Decepticons (offscreen) they were upgraded into the more modern forms we're familiar with.

Obviously this is flatly not so in the show, the Combaticons are always shown to have the forms we're familiar with, but that never made sense since there was absolutely no way a Space Shuttle (for instance) was abandoned on Guadalcanal in 1945. Space shuttles wouldn't be invented for almost 30 more years.

18. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Actually the combaticons change alt modes on screen. A split second before their robot mode you can see the beat up vehicles transforming into the modern vehicles.

19. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    Ah, I could well be misremembering it. Well, I suppose it still sort of works. Are the alt modes distinctly something in particular?

20. Hellbot

Hellbot Jaeger

Actually, I didn't know that either. I'll have to see if I can find that.