Irish company invents 'free' energy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scourge_151, Aug 24, 2006.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Does anybody else find this a little bit frightening if true? I mean, if they really found an infinite source of energy to tap that they don't understand at all, who's to say it isn't dangerous?

I can see it now...we start with tiny things like cellphones, and those work ok, and we work our way up to cars, power generators for houses, seems alright...so they decide to build a HUGE one for a city, start it up, and BOOM - or a gateway to hell opens up or something equally bad.

And the planet is gone, because we didn't understand what the hell we were messing with.

2. awful_gollum

awful_gollum Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You got a good point there. If they really have discovered free energy, they should think twice about what they're doing and be careful with it, since they don't fully know what it's capable of doing.

3. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    hate to break it to ya, but that's never stopped humanity before :p 

seems like everything we've built has blown up at least once :lol 

4. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The last thing these guys invented was to help prevent CC fraud. So yeah, color me doubtful. Especially since they didn't release the info in a journal but through the media like this.

It's probably just viral advertising of some sort.

5. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

:lol 

6. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I knew it was bull as soon as I saw the headline...

7. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

We are already screwing up our planet with current energy technology. We can't worry about what COULD happen. Anything could have negative consequences, but we will never know unless we try. If there is any chance that we can replace oil, then I say go for it. Nothing is accomplished without some risk. Everything we have today is because someone took a chance on a crazy idea.

8. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yes, but not with something we knew absolutely nothing about that seems like "magic". If our top scientists can't explain it, who can? Who's to say some application of this won't start some type of chain reaction that rips the universe apart?

Granted, if true, in the future this will probably be as commonplace and understood as nuclear power is today, but still, let's figure out what the hell it is before we start firing up magic generators everywhere.

If movies have taught me anything, it's that you don't mess with forces you can't comprehend!

God, I must sound like the guy who didn't want electricity to take off for fear of "demons in the wires" or something equally closed-minded. Still, I think we need to research this a bit more.

9. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Well-Known Member

Moving magnetic fields do generate current. I remember back in the early 2000's when they tested tethered sattelites from the Shuttle, they said that there was current moving along the tether because they were moving through Earth's magnetic field and that, if properly equipped, they could harness that electricty for power. This seems pretty fishy though because it's on such a small scale. The Shuttle was understandable because it was moving at orbital velocity but this is on the ground.

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, it's more exciting than waiting for the sun to go nova. :p 

And you can generate electricity with magnets. I have a flashlight that proves that.

11. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, one of those ones you have to shake a bunch. All it's doing is converting your motion into energy, and storing it in a capacitor. This new concept sounds like once you give it a push, it moves on it's own AND produces energy. Energy that comes from...?

Very cool if true. Also very not understood. Maybe it has something to do with this "dark matter" or "dark energy" we've been hearing about. What did they say, something like 70% of the universe is supposedly made of it, yet we can't see it or interact with it on a physical level?

Maybe it's simply converting gravity into energy. I don't know.

12. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    You mentioned dark matter...that is the key. The government is at least aware of this...and scientists are just beginning to acknowledge that it actually exsists...once they fully understand it...the the possibilties will be endless...we will be able to prove any unexplained occurance on earth, and it will make since...I could say ALOT more...but I know the reactions I would get...

13. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Go ahead. I'd like to hear it. It's not like this is a "prove your shit or die" thread.

Are you trying to say dark matter is the cause of stuff like ghosts and UFOs?

14. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    Yes...of course! Everything!

15. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Ok...how?

16. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:

..... the souls of orphaned children.

17. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Even little Billy? NOT LITTLE BILLY!

18. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

You silly conspiracy theorists, you.

19. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Well-Known Member

Well, dark matter and dark energy are pretty spooky stuff, but not for mystical reasons. Both are the inventions of scientists to explain observed condradictions with our predictions about the structure of the universe.

Keplers laws of planetary motion predict that for a body to orbit a certain distance from its partner, it must move with a particular speed and Newton's laws of gravity explain that this is because gravity gets weaker farther from the larger body.

In other words, for a planet to orbit close to the sun it must move faster to "cancel" the pull of the sun. This is why Mercury orbits in only 88 days but Jupiter takes about a year. Extending this model to the galaxy, logically, the stars closest to the center should orbit faster while those farther out should be slower.

However, looking at other galaxies, we see stars orbit at about the same rate at the center as they do at the edge. This implies that there must be a lot more mass to each galaxy than we can currently see. Hence, dark matter is dark because we can't see it. Not because it comes from Hell. Then again... :) 

In the last 30 years, astronomers and cosmologists have been searching for a suitable source. The current favorite is the neutrino, a weakly interacting particle produced by nuclear reactions, such as those in stars. If anything could be described as a ghost then a neutrino would be it; neutrinos are hard to detect because they don't normally interact with normal matter and may not even have mass. Right now you are being bombarded by countless neutrinos from the sun.:ev: 

If they have mass, even a small mass, there could be enough produced during the big bang and over the lifetime of the universe to affect the formation of the universe and galactic motion. If you are looking for spirits from hell, then neutrinos from the Big Bang comes close.:hookday 

Phew. :drunk 
    Sorry, this is turning out to be long.
    Dark energy is stranger stuff and might fit your suspicions better. Like dark matter, dark energy, is invisible to us and explains another contradiction with what we know about gravity. To make a long story short, if there is enough matter in the universe, its gravitational pull should slow and stop, and possibly even reverse, the expansion of the universe. However, observations show that the opposite is happening: the expansion is speeding up. To explain this, cosmologists hypothesized that an as yet unforseen property of the gravitational force or the fabric of space must exist where, at a certain distance, energy is actually supplied rather than spent to the bodies involved.

I don't know that much about Dark Energy so you might want to check into it at wikipedia. I don't think they could be involved because, as with the shuttle example, the scales involved are either too miniscule (neutrinos) or too large (galactic/universal scale) to be of consequence to our everyday frame of reality.

20. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

By "wikipedia," he really means "a reliable source other than Wikipedia," folks.