iPod - Which one should I get?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Predaking, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Please no Apple bashing in this thread. Thanks.

I want to get an iPod that I can take with me to the gym or listen in the car (already got the adapter for it). I am torn between Nano, Classic, and Touch. All three fit my needs. With Nano I can clip on my shirt when I go jogging and is the cheapest of the three. With Classics I can store all the music I want but it's big and no touch screen. With Touch I can play games, surf the net, but is the most expensive (I can probably get away with 3rd gen). Which ones do you have and which would you recommend?

2. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    I have a 5th gen Nano 16gb and I love it.
    Very small, long battery life, FM radio, video camera, pedometer, tons of storage. Great little mp3 player, I use it at work every day. I think I paid $160 for it last summer.

3. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I've got the 160GB 5th gen Vid. It can hold about 80 movies, and a shit load of music and photos. More than you'll ever need, but nice to have in hand.
    I'm hoping they'll make a 1TB Ipod Vid with larger screen.

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd just get a refurb or a cheap Nano on Craigslist. :2c: 

I loved my Nano, but sold it once I purchased my iPhone 4:thumbs2: 

5. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I only have an old 1GB shuffle and a 16 GB iPhone 4.

However based on my experience I would recommend either the nano or the touch. Don't undervalue being able to watch videos on the Touch, great for when you are in line, travelling, or at for instance the doctors office.

I used to watch video all the time on my iPhone until I got my iPad, and still do when my wife steals it from me.

6. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

i had a 1st gen touch for 3.5 years and it was my best friend. then my dad got me an iphone off of craigslist so i could unlock it and use our carrier, and now my parents and i all have iphones while my ipod touch has been neglected for a few months. with the ipod touch's cameras and stereos, you can't really go wrong with it, although i'd recommend investing some time looking into finding a cheap iphone and learning how to mod it to your needs, especially when the next iphone is released and the more-than-adequate 3GS is bound to become even cheaper.

7. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    The Classic is great if you have a TON of music, but otherwise, I'd go for the Touch. I've been happy with mine for over a year now and I really do use it for a lot of things, especially for web when my laptop was temporarily out of commission. Plus after I jailbroke mine, I've been able to do all sorts of fun things with it.

But if you just want a pure music machine, the Nano or Classic will do just fine.

8. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

This man speaks truth.

I have a Classic and I love it. I have a few movies, a ton of TV eps (TF: Prime, Renegades, Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, etc.) and a LOAD of music on mine.

9. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOVE my 160g Classic. Easily holds my CD collection of about 650 discs, plus movies, plus all sorts of CDs I've been borrowing from the library that I wouldn't pay full price for (community-owned = still legal!). Watch for eBay bargains on something like this. I got mine with a protective case for about $150.

10. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    get any nano that not touch screen or buy an ipod touch 3rd gen+. Could you wait 2 months though? new ones are released then.

11. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Get a $100 Iphone 3Gs and use it as a Touch :) 

That's what I use.

12. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    I've got a modern generation touch; I love it. It is versatile which adds to its appeal. Of course, the primary use is as a music player, and trust me, mine gets plenty of use as one, but when I want to do something else - apps, movies, whatever - I can.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    How far do you jog? I run marathons and had more than enough music for any 4-plus hour training run or race with only a gig of space. I think the clip-on version would work best for your needs, especially given the low weight and cost.

You can put the savings into your next pair of shoes, I know my Adidas usually run a hundred bucks a pair and I go through 1-2 pairs a year.

14. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

For me, the Touch. I've owned a classic for gym use and it's great, but the touch wheel for volume control is a pain in the ass if you use an armband with a sleeve.

My touch (3rd gen) has side volume up/down buttons which I can just press through the sleeve, so it works better for me.

Plus I watch video and podcasts on it, I like the bigger screen on the touch and the fact that it doesn't cut off the sides of the video if you are watching something with a widescreen resolution

15. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Have a 2nd gen Shuffle (used mainly when riding my bike or as a backup) and 8GB Touch (also 2nd gen, use it mainly for pics, internet, vids and music) and love 'em both.

If you want small, go for the Shuffle.

16. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I am leaning toward the Touch at this point, but not sure if I should get a 3rd gen or 4th gen. I want at least 16Gig so maybe an older model would be better (and cheaper). Besides, my phone is a cheap $50 one so it'd be nice to have one that I can surf the net and do other stuff with it besides just listening to music.

Thanks for all your input guys. Really appreciate it.

17. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Then just get the most affordable one. Why was this so hard to deduce?

18. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    cheap ipods don't work out as well if you are trying to control one in the car. the shuffle has no screen and the new nano is way to small for an adults hands. go touch or classic.

19. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Just for the record, before I bought my 5th gen Ipod Nano, I tried several other brands of MP3 players over a five year period. None of them really worked that well or lasted very long. I tried the Nano and have had zero problems with it over the last year. I am very satisfied with it, although it was a little on the pricey side($160 I believe), it was well worth it.

20. Syn3sthesia

Syn3sthesia Well-Known Member

I have the Classics and love it. I can take all my music library, movies, podcasts, games, pictures etc with me and still have space to spare.

I don't take it to the gym though. Even if I had an armband, I would be affraid that I would drop it. Besides the gym got music and tv to get me going.