Ipod Video LCD Screen Replacement

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Deceptikitty, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Why hello!

Anyway, I have an Ipod video. One of the older models. It's been fantastic since then, but now the screen has some black lines on it. Since this means the LCD screen needs to be replaced, I have a couple of dilemmas. First off, the Ipod store wanted like 150 dollars to replace said screen. Then there's a guy on Craigslist who said he'd do it for 30. I really don't want to give my Ipod to some guy who doesn't own a business or even have any references to see if he has the skills to fix it. Is it difficult to replace the screen on your own? Are there any other options? And I've already heard "buy a Zune", but this is my BFF music player and it's been good to me for so long. If I attempted to repair it would it be a disaster waiting to happen?

2. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    can you post a picture of the exact model you have?

what's the HDD size?

3. Deceptikitty

30gb 5th Generation

Not my ipod but the same kind:

[​IMG]

If it's needed, I'll take pictures of mine. But it's no different than that, besides the lines on the LCD screen. :( 

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

BFF music player? What the hell does that mean?

At this point, I'd say just go for a new player. But if it means that much to you, swallow the $150 and have it done by Apple.

5. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Best Friends Forever?

6. Deceptikitty

I was being stupid... as usual. :tongue: 

I really don't want to shell out 150, but if worse comes to worse I will. I was just wondering if there was another way. It was a birthday gift like 3 years ago, and besides the screen it's perfect. Hence why I don't want to replace it.

7. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Well, there's the cheap route of trying to fix it yourself, or having someone else do it. But the risk's of doing those are high.

It's $150 for Apple to do it, or say $30 for you or someone else to do it. But if you or someone else screw it up, then you're out that $30, with a nice iPod paperweight, and having to shell out $$$ for a new player.

8. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

If you can get a screen off ebay, the repair should be quite easy. Just get a plastic flat head screw driver. I now that shounds hard but you do not want to damage the connections inside. It comes part with snaps on the inside of the case.

I have replaced many HDs and batterys over the years, but I am Apple Cert.

9. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

if you want to do it yourself or get it done professionally for under $100 try here.

http://www.digiexpress.us/

I'm gonna order a new click wheel and replacement battery from them this week.

I have the same model as you only in black.

10. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  11. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    It figures your iPod would be full of fail :wink:  Can you find any references for the guy who will do it for $30? Testimonials? With the correct tools, knowledge of the product and the spare parts, I hear replacing that stuff is cake.

Coincidentally there's a guy around here who does the same type of repairs and advertises on Craigslist. My friend had his fixed and polished in person in 15 minutes.

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'd do it myself, but I have experience with this stuff. It's really not that hard to do.

If you can't do it, I'd trust the craigslist guy, as long as you can be there when he does it.

13. NSJ23

MMM does anything need to be soldered? to replace the battery, click wheel or screen?

14. Deceptikitty

Thanks for the help guys. ;)  I'm thinking about checking out one of the websites, or even buying the toolkit.

And yes I know ipods are full of fail, but this one has been so non-fail that I've grown attached to it.

So now the question is - do I trust my clumsy self and save 60 dollars, or do I get it done by someone else for more money?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  15. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    I don't know if you trust me more than you trust some other guy. But I fix iPods from time to time, and I have a 5th Gen iPod video just hanging around that's a parts iPod. (I used it to swap out a damaged mainboard.) The screen on it works just fine, and I can fix it for you easy. Heck, since I have the parts, and labor is easy, mail it with a self-addressed package and we'll call it good.

16. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    When I say I've done this stuff, I don't mean this EXACT stuff.

I would guess that no soldering is needed to replace the screen or battery, but I've never taken an iPod apart so I can't be sure. Usually parts like those are swappable and easy to replace in most devices.

This is probably the best offer you will get.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  17. Deceptikitty

That certainly is the best offer... :eek:  PM'D!

18. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    My wife just bought me a 16GB iPod Touch as an early birthday present so I can retire my dinosaur gen2 iPod.

I will say this: the iPod Touch is the single most kick ass piece of technology that I've owned in a long long time. The thing is just amazing! He'll I'm typing this message from it right now!

19. NSJ23

Good to hear, Razerwire.

I'm Thinking about getting the 32G touch next week, and fixing up and giving my Video I-pod to my roommate.