iPod Rival Alleges Patent Infringement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Primal, May 16, 2006.

1. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    Source: Yahoo! News

2. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

What a long time to wait to file a complaint.

3. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Depends on the facts available ... 8 months after being awarded the patent could be long, could be short, just depends on the case itself.

I'd be interested in knowing the specific language of the patent and what specifically it is about the design that they're claiming Apple ripped off.

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Well even though they had an application for the patent, they had to wait for it to be granted, which didn't happen until this past year. Then they had to figure out whether they had a case against Apple and get everything in order to pursue it. It sorta makes sense that it took this long.

5. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

Well, here's the full patent text. The principal claim seems to be:

6. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I imagine they would have used the time it took to get their patents approved to research their claims against apple.

7. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I have a serious problem with a patent on logic. If they directly copied the code I could see a problem, but I'm pretty sure that all similarities are superficial. Patents should be for gadgetry, not digital constructs. The code is proprietary technology, but the interface should be free to create with a different code. What would have happened if Apple had patented the GUI? Or if Nintendo had found some way to patents the button arrangement from the SNES which was imitated on every console since except thier own.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I agree.
    They'd have a hard time doing that, since it's more or less documented that they copied the idea from Xerox.
    They did patent the + pad, but everyone seems to have gotten around that somehow.

9. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If apple tried to work a deal out with creative it does suggest that there is a case against them

10. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay, that just seems silly to me. HOW ELSE are you suposed to select something out of a potentially massive library?

This is as silly of a patent as the Olymic commity and their reserve on EVERY variation of 5 rings.

Damn I can't spell today. :( 

11. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Or that company who sued RIM for BLACKBERRIES infringing on the patent of "Wirelessly accessing email through a handheld device"

Which they have had lots of success on winning and got a massive settlement out of.

Many patents are silly and it takes a lawsuit to BREAK the patent to see if it can stand up. Even patents on simple concepts and processes can stand up and cause millions of dollars of damages. Apple will have to ride it out and see what's up.

12. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

'sfunny, I could have sworn this complain was filed last year and Creative won.....weird....it was all over NPR for a while....