iPod Problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by a person, Dec 24, 2007.

1. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Hey guys, one of my Christmas presents was a iPod nano and when I try to connect it to my computer it asks for a file called usbstor.sys

I have searched all over my computer for this file for about 3 hours and have found nothing. The file is needed for my iPod to connect to my computer.

All help is greatly appreciated.

2. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    This may sound stupid, but is ITunes installed? If not, download it, if you do have it, try removing it and re-download.

Good luck.

3. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Yes, ITunes is installed and it is at the latest version.

4. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's Windows' USB driver.

5. Synical

Synical Well-Known Member

Just search for it on google, download it and install. Searching your computer won't help, it's gone somewhere.

6. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    I will try that thanks.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Shoulda got a Zune, man.

I kid.

8. BallaTron

BallaTron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thats an issue with a driver on your computer,try searching the driver and installing it and if you have windows xp make sure it is service pak2.Also make sure you have high speed usb ports

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Thank Primus! Zunes are evil!

10. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I say humbug to the iPod. I LOVE Apple products, but the iPod doesn't offer the user enough freedom with their files. I bought one at the beginning of November and my initial dislike was the fact that I HAD to use iTunes to manage my music. Prior to the iPod I had been using a Creative Labs MP3, which was as simple as plugging it into the USB and then drag-dropping as if it were a folder. Nothing else to it. I spent two hours with iTunes just getting all of my music set up and ready to listen to. I really liked the fact CoverFlow is on the new iPods, but I found that it wasn't able to find covers for most of the music I listen to so I had to go onto the net and find cover files, then drop them into the appropriate place in iTunes if I wanted cover images on the iPod.

Then, once I actually got used to all the maintenance, the thing crapped out on me. It started skipping over random tracks here and there, even when I would dump the files and re-rip them. Then CoverFlow crapped out and all of the images turn into a jumble of 'static'. I made sure everything was updated, and it was. Then I 'reset' the thing and put it back to it's factory settings. Then the it started skipping over tracks even worse, like every other song it would play for two seconds and then skip to the next. And that's when iTunes just stopped working with my internet connection for no reason that I've been able to determine.

At that point I emptied the iPod of all my files, packed it up and returned it. It was a very terrible first impression for me, but I do realize I may just have gotten a lemon. Even still, I found there to be more maintenance than necessary. Maybe it's because I'm using it with Windows on a PC and maybe it would be more pleasant to work with on an Apple machine, I don't know. For now I'm back to my Creative Labs MuVo, which is old and only holds a half-gig, but still works beautifully and is quick and simple to use. I'm shopping around for a new MP3 player, but nothing looks that great to me. I do plan to get a Mac this year, and at that point I may give the iPod another try, but it really was a bad first impression for me.

11. McBradders

Every fucking thread, without fail.

12. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Yup - as predictable as the tides.

Anyway, original poster: any luck? Sounds like an operating system problem to me, too.

13. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    No luck

14. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    I have got it to work. Thanks very much for the help you guys, I would never have been able to do it without it.

15. McBradders

Welcome to the club of awesome yo!

16. Rewind

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree, every thread without fail has people who can't stand to hear any kind of logical dissent. Truly amazing.

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i thought eriku's post as balance and impartial. helpful since im currently deciding between ipod touch and iphone.

18. Rewind

News Credits:
    Thank you, that's exactly what I intended. I've never once bashed the iPod, or Apple products (which I actually said I LOVE and even would try another iPod), but I thought it would be helpful to the original poster to share my experience. That certainly seems more helpful than the usual "iPods rule and anyone who doesn't think so is an idiot" style comments that I read in nearly every iPod related thread.