Ipod or PsP- Which to buy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blackconvoy_D01, Jan 31, 2006.

1. blackconvoy_D01

blackconvoy_D01 Destronger

Ebay:
    I want something to hold at least 200 songs, and i want something to watch anime and other movies on too. im not interested in games but screen size and quality matters. I also dont want to spend more than $400.00 on gear and accessories alone. Ive done a little reasearch and im lost. Which one would best suit my wants? Please help.

2. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Not going to play games? Then buy the I-Pod. PSP is pretty much useless without games, despite what Sony likes to believe IMO.

3. blackconvoy_D01

Ebay:
    But will the moves on the Ipod be the same quality as the PSP?

4. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    No idea, really. But why anyone would want to watch real movies and not videoclips on such a small screen is beyond me anyways (never understood that appeal).

5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    If you want to watch movies, then there's really no discussion to even make. You have to go with the PSP. The iPod's screen size is entirely too small and its (video) battery life too short to use for anything other than short clips. The iPod is a solid music player that happens to be capable of playing video, but it isn't very robust in that department. The PSP is a game system, true, but it's also a pretty good portable device for movies and music.

6. blackconvoy_D01

Ebay:
    only because i dont want to deal with the bulk of a portable dvd player for long trips. if i can get moves and music in one ill be very happy.

7. blackconvoy_D01

Ebay:
    ive read that the PSP can only hold upto 60 songs, is that a fact?

8. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

PSP can hold as many songs as you like. Just buy new MSDUO sticks for it.

I have 3 gig sticks, one with two full length movies on, one with 200 songs on, another with... uh... stuff.

*edit*

For the record, the PSPs screen is 16:9 ratio, sharp, crisp and clear.

The iPod video's screen is poor in comparison. It's square, too shiny and i suffered with blur on mine before I traded it in against a shiny new Camcorder.

9. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The amount of songs a PSP can hold all depends on what size of memory stick you have for it.

The bigger the memory stick, the more you can store on it.

On my 1GB stick I've got a film, couple of TV shows and a save file for Wipreout Pure (plus downloadable content for it) and still have about 75MB of free space.

Do remember that depending on how you compress the movie files (I used PSPVideo) will determine the quality of them and how much you can fit on the stick.

Also the iPod beats the PSP hands down in terms of size for carrying.

I'd much rather carry round my 20GB iPod (that's no where near full) that my PSP that can only have a maximum (at time of writting) of 2GB through a memory stick.
    There are 3rd party Hard Disk you can get for them that give you storage space comparable to iPods, but they add to the overall weight and bulkness of the PSP.

10. Bubbles

Bubbles Member

11. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

I just bought the 30GB Ipod Video model. Had no interest in PsP games so it was a no brainer. Lots of space for music and videos. Podcasts are cool too. There is plenty of nice freeware out there too if ya look around.

12. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

The PSP has the better screen, but the iPod has better capacity. Also, a UMD disc is buying the same movie twice. You can also boost your battery life if you buy a nice add on battery pack.

13. Rokkit 2.0

Rokkit 2.0 Nay, we are but men.

If you don't care about games, that's the only advantage (other than the screen size) the PSP would have had over the Ipod Video. (Though that seems odd, since the PSP game library is a little unimpressive right now)

For about the same price, you'd either have a PSP with 1 or 2 gigs of space, or a Ipod with about 30 or 60 gigs of space. The Ipod video quality isn't as great, obviously, but to me the trade off (30gigs or 2?) is more than worth it.

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

We should sticky this kind of thread into an uber "which portable media device do i buy?"

15. dragontron88

dragontron88 Your new Lord, & Master

Personally I would go with the psp, the bonus with the PSP is if you happen to be in a hotspot, you get internet access

16. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

If you're not going to play games, don't bother with a PSP. And don't bother with an iPod unless you're looking for a good music player.

My recommendation - the iPaq rx line of PDA's. They run Windows Mobile, have a HUGE color screen, support mp3s, .avi's, .mpgs, SD memory cards. Buy a decent sized memory card, load up a movie and some mp3's, and get all the benefit of a PDA that has a full internet browser, Wi-Fi, bluetooth, you name it.

[​IMG]

17. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Between iPod and PSP, I would get the PSP. Larger screen, UMD movies, external speakers (dont have to use headphones all the time), AVC video, and internet (which is nice because you can download podcasts using wireless). Just make sure you get a larger Memory stick.

18. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I personally wouldnt buy either. If you want to just listen to music, buy an ipod, if you want video and games, get a psp. If you want all of the above, buy a laptop.