iPod Convoy

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by CrockAlley, Oct 10, 2007.

1. CrockAlley

CrockAlley Gween donkey! Mine!

I got my iPod Convoy yesterday.

The new head looks very much like Masterpiece Prime's head. It rotates, which is weird after all these years of static head. All the joints are very tight, almost to the point where I feel like I'm going to break it.

The trailer: There was a small problem with the strip of black plastic that runs along the underside of the trailer. It wasn't in place properly, which caused the front end to sit up a bit high when connected to the cab. But it popped into place easily and everything's fine now.

There are slots on the underside of the trailer for the fists to be stored, but no place for the gun. I'd have liked something along the lines of Pepsi Convoy, where the gun could be stored under the trailer. (The fists already fit inside Optimus Prime in vehicle mode, so I don't know why the made the space for them under the trailer.) The transformation is simple; rotate the top of the trailer, and the speakers are revealed.

My iPod fits nicely. There's a power button, which makes the adjacent Autobot symbol glow red. There's also two volume buttons. I'm not picky about audio quality, so I can't say if the sound is great of awful. It's good enough for me.

All in all, it looks fantastic on top of my computer desk, all shiny and white. Having received an iPod last year for my birthday, and being an Optimus collector, this was an easy purchase for me. I love it, but I can understand why it might incite apathy in others.

Sorry, no photos, camera's broken :( 

2. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wish they could have made Optimus red, maybe a black repaint is on the way?

3. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Since I don't have the proper cable on hand to test this (nor an iPod, so I can't do this test myself): There's a standard 3.5mm stereo audio jack on the back. Is this a headphone output, or a signal input so you can play things other than iPods? If you play your iPod through it, connect headphones back there, and get no sound from them, that would qualify it as an input. :D 

4. CrockAlley

I was wondering that myself, but I forgot to check. I'll check when I get home. Seems kind of sill to have a headphone jack on the back of an iPod dock. Why not just plug right into the iPod?

5. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    what type of batteries does it use or does it have a ac power adapter?

6. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    If it WAS an input, you could play MP3 Soundwave thru Mag.., er, Prime :D 

That would be sweet, IMO, let us know, and thanks for the review!

7. CrockAlley

Well, it seems as though it's an "out" port. Darn, I wish it were an input!

It comes with an AC adapter, with no allowance for batteries.

And after some more exploration, I found out that Convoy's head is actually ball-jointed!

8. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hate to threat resurrect, but I got my iPod convoy today (who is now clearly Ultra Magnus bc/ a Prime colored one is coming...) and I really really like it and the speakers sound fine and all, but I noticed that the G1 Convoy toolings seem to be getting kinda tired... especially on the die-cast parts, the crispness of details and general fit of the parts is not nearly as nice as I remember it being on my original G1 Prime... it's especially bad on the lights and horns on-top of the have lots of ick around the borders of the part where it meets the rooftop that I know was never this bad on my original figs...

I also found it funny that the gun is the bloated mold version... do all reissue convoys come with bloated guns?

9. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

yeah. Speakers are ok. Toy is fine. If you need an ipod station get this one for the novelty. Good excuse to display a TF in a main part of the house ;) 

10. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's what was so great, bc/ BBTS had the toy on sale for Thanksgiving start of holiday season, and my iHome just crapped out (no music... at all...) so it was meant to be. To be fair, I would have preferred a Prime colored one, but that doesn't come out for a real long time (March...)...

11. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's exactly what I was thinking. :D  I can't wait for the G1 colors.