Ipod battery has died (or dying)...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by jourdo, Jun 2, 2009.

1. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Has anyone ever replaced a battery on their own? We looked into the costs to sent it in to Apple and it seems to make more sense to buy a new one.

Any tips?

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Battery died in my 20 GB iPod last year. I bought a refurbished 30GB iPod for $100 (buy.com) instead of paying the $70 to replace the battery.

3. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    What model do you have? If you're having battery issues it's usually much cheaper to have it replaced through Apple. Even first gen Models have a cheaper battery replacement that anything else.

I think it's roughly $69 Canadian. So unless it's a shuffle it's usually a great deal since you get a different unit back with a 90 day warranty coverage.

4. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    It can be done, but it's pretty intensive, from what I've heard. Some models involve sodlering to the board, IIRC.

5. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    I've replaced a battery in an iPod before and it was very simple. This was one of the older 4th generation models, before they went color with video. I ordered a kit online and it was very easy; the hardest part was opening the case and they provide a tool for that. No soldering necessary even on the 5th generation models. Just open the case, plug the new battery in and you're good.

6. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I was thinking of specifically a Touch (I mentally default to one since it's what i have), but that's good to know, as my wife has both. :) 

7. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It was a Touch that died. I found a battery kit for around $40 online, but it involved some soldering to replace.

We did luck out though... took the Touch into the Apple store and they replaced it with a new one (well most likely refurbished... but whatever) for nothing. We were even 90 days past warranty. Colour me surprised. Good on Apple.

8. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

On the topic, I just bought a 16gig 4th Gen Nano, and the battery power is nothing compared to my 3rd Gen. Is this normal, or should I exchange it for another?

9. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
  10. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    90 Days of Phone support. 1 year hardware warranty. What are the first three characters of your serial number? I can tell ya if it's a refurb or a replacement.