iPod artists listing twice? wtf

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nerdling, May 22, 2007.

1. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    For some reason two of my Beatles albums are listed together, as they should be, in alphabetical order. But another beatles album is listed somewhere else, so the artist (the beatles) comes up twice in my iPod. I've tried change the name of the artist in the info menu and nothings happening. What up?

2. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Right click the one that doesn't appear with the others and check the artist name and album artist and make sure they both say The Beatles. That should fix it. I don't know why they've got two fields for artist name, but they do.

3. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Nope, still no luck. One album is listed with the 'J' artists and the others are under 'B'. This makes no sense.

edit: I got the albums to appear in the same sequence, but still in the wrong place. Bah, I'll fix it some other times. Thanks dude

4. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    For some reason I feel like my friend's Ipod would separate material from the same artist based on who the "composer" is.

5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

They added the second field when they added Cover Flow and album view. Artist is used for the artist's name, Album Artist is used as an artist name alias of sorts. It's useful for two reasons.

First, when you arrange your artists alphabetically you have to (well, you should) put last name first. But if you set Album Artist to first name then last name, when you're in album view or Cover Flow, the artist's name appears normally. In other words, I can have Dylan, Bob as the Artist so he appears in the Ds, but set Album Artist to Bob Dylan so he still displays as Bob Dylan. It's a subtle feature, but I like it.

Second, for compilations and soundtracks you set Album Artist to "Various Artists" and Artist to whatever the individual track is.

As far as Nerdling's problem, it sounds like his settings have somehow got messed up and it's sorting by composer ("J" for John Lennon, who always came first with the Beatles). Click on either Artist or Album headings in iTunes to change the column it's sorting by. If that doesn't work just right click, open the info, and delete the composer info from the tags. That should fix it quickly and simply.