iPhone or Droid or other?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Dreweido, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I need to get a new phone today. So with that in mind, I want to get a phone that can do the things a smartphone can do. I just bring along my iTouch and use the wifi at work. So I want to not need to have my iTouch with me and have my phone with me. A merger of the two. So iPhone seems like a simple answer right? Well I want to make sure I'm getting the right thing and not going to regret it.

Here's a few things:

1) I want to keep my current number (I have verizon)
    2) I want to be able to access internet from wherever without paying out the wazoo
    3) I want a phone that won't seem out of date in 6 months
    4) I don't want to get reeled in for a crazy amount of money
    5) I really like the idea of having all the iPhone apps available
    Can you help? Tell me your experiences!

2. Cheez Doodle23

Cheez Doodle23 Plastic Crack Club Member

News Credits:
    I work for a cell phone provider Agent location and figured I'd give ya a few suggestions.

1) I want to keep my current number (I have verizon)
    I wouldn't worry bout that too much since there's local number portability you can take your number with you if you decided to change carriers.

2) I want to be able to access internet from wherever without paying out the wazoo
    whether you decided to switch carriers or stay with Verizon I would definitely compare data plan rates to make sure you are getting the best bang for your buck. I think, at least in my area Verizon has better/more 3G coverage. Definitely look at coverage maps and make sure there is 3G in your area.

Seems like phones are like computers, you buy one and then there's a bigger badder model out within weeks. Although Blackberries, iPhones, and Android devices seem to have a bit more longevity than WinMo devices. Not to mention I think WinMo is a pain to use and has more software bugs in them than most other smart phones.

like I said before I would definitely compare rates with other companies

Can you help? Tell me your experiences![/QUOTE]
    I agree, iPhone apps are great, but Blackberry, Android and WinMo have their own stores too, although Apples probably has the most apps available right now. Given time I'm sure the rest will develop some pretty cool apps.

Based on what you are looking for I would recommend either a Blackberry or an Android device. I really like the HTC Droid Eris and the Blackberry Curve 8530 or Storm2. I like the Android platform, it seems really stable and offers ease of use and a lot of flexibility. The Blackberry Curve 8530 is a great alternative to some of the higher-end blackberries without loosing any BB Features. it still retains wifi which is a plus and they also starting using a optical trackpad instead of a trackball which is a huge huge improvement. BB's that use the trackball would have issues with the ball sticking and not working properly over time.

Hopefully all of my rambling helps a little lol.

3. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    iPhone seems to be the easiest solution for you Drew. You can do just about anything with an iPhone, even lock your car with it or light up your Christmas tree. But it's not cheap by any means ... and as much as AT&T likes to bitch back at Verizon regarding 3G coverage, it's true ... AT&T has the worst 3G coverage out of all the networks.

Verizon: We have the most 3G coverage!
    AT&T: Yeah, well, that's great but you can browse the Internet *WHILE* you talk on the phone with our service!

iPhones are cool ... but you will miss out on Verizon's service and customer service, which has been top notch for so much longer than anything AT&T could ever hope to reach.

4. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i had a iPhone and now have a Blackberry...i like the iPhone better. Cant talk about the Droid cause i havent had one (or know someone who has one)

- rumor has it there's plan to come out with a bigger 3Gs Iphone next year. But it is like computers, there's always gonna be a upgrade within 6-12 months.

- if you swap carriers, you can get a new phone for really cheap compared to getting it at the renewal price.

The iPhone, Droid, and BB Storm is expensive...retails for $300+ and you can get it for $100+ if you open a new account.

My BB Curve (non-touch screen) retailed for $250...would be $200 for my renewal price but i got it for $50 cause my mom was added to my account and she got it for me.

- iPhone has the best apps. Lot of free ones that are good too. Most of the ones i liked on the iPhone that was free you have to buy on the BB.

Other note
    - Internet on the BB is a pain, the default one sucks major ass. Opera Mini is ok but scrolling takes forever. Sucks cause it cant open pdf files too.
    - Text messages on the iPhone is the best, its sorted my called. BB has it by day.
    - Upgrading space on the BB is better, it can hold up to 32gb micro-sd...which you can swap while the phone is on (though you gotta open the back cover to get to it)
    - Youtube on the BB sucks...it always be streaming it, even if you get to the end and replay it. On the Iphone, when it loads everything, you can play it over and over with no hickups.

i like the BB but after having a iPhone, it looks like a step down.

5. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really want an iphone. But refuse to get AT&T. Sure I could hack it, but my warranty would go out the window.

I'm satisfied with my t-mobile sidekick for right now. But will get an iphone if and when it becomes available for t-mobile.

The droid doesn't appeal to me. From what I've seen, it doesn't impress me. But Kickback is right about verizons coverage and customer service.

6. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    If you want a phone that will do all that, then I would recommend something with Android. Everyone I know that has an iPhone says that you might as well just have an iPod touch, because the "phone" aspect of the device is terrible. Constant missed calls and messages and crap 3G coverage. One friend has in the last year owned an iPhone, Blackberry Curve, Blackberry Storm, and Droid. The one he loved the most and settled on was the Droid.

Granted, there are a TON of apps on the Apple Store if that's your thing. However, I would argue that the Android Marketplace will rival or surpass it in a year, as phones using the platform become more common. Some things like Navigator (Google's GPS Software) don't work quite as well as what you get with AT&T phones, but it is still in beta (what at Google isn't) and there are constant updates and improvements.

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I'm not too fond of AT&T, so I would never bother with an iPhone, no matter what cool apps it has on it.

I'd go either with Droid or Blackberry.

8. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ATT BLOWS! That being said, I love my iphone so much I stay with ATT.
    As bad as it is, the IPhone is the best phone, gadget, tech toy I have ever owned.

Get it, you'll love it.

9. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I've been researching this for a month now, as my contract is up Jan 7th with Verizon, I have a Blackberry Curve

I've used both phones and use a Mac, so I thought for sure an Iphone was for me.

In the end, I wanted to stay with Verizon, I watched every review I could find on the Droid, and got to use one for a good half hour with one of Verizon's' reps who had one.

Bottom line for me: DROID

Not only do I stay on the carrier I want, 5MP camera and the best video camera for phones on the market.

10. Optimus Scourge

News Credits:
    Not to mention the free google maps, and voice activated/command turn by turn GPS voice feature for free (with data pack, which, who would have that without one?) WI-FI if you need free internet, too

Basically, when I used that guys' Motorola Droid, I watched youtube videos on it. very fast, very sweet picture, the screen is just absolutely amazing.

Now, the out-of-box browser cant "pinch to zoom" an area like IPhone, but Download the Dolphin browser if you need it, you can have it.

The only knock on the Motorola one with a keyboard/D pad (they have the all touch Eris as well, though the Motorola has way better features) is it's a tad blocky, but, for what it offers ME - Droid all the way.

People say is doesn't have Flash, but Adobe has promised it and will likely have something soon.

I'm actually lucky to be getting it, because my wife's upgrade of $150 credit will be applied, and she will cover the rest as part of my Christmas gift. :) 

Oh, and the apps will come, they will come.

11. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    1) I want to keep my current number (I have verizon)-
    First of all like others have stated if Verizon works best in your area stay with verizon, if AT&T work and you like it go that route. Porting the number is no big deal.
    2) I want to be able to access internet from wherever without paying out the wazoo. I can tell you that my friend has had AT&T IPhone for a while and it is great. I had Verizon Storm and while I could do a lot of the things his phone could do it was way slower. Maps and such, so (wanting to keep up with the Jones) I got the Droid. Now I keep up with his Iphone no problem and my phone works better than his. He also has dropped calls and we find that there are a lot of areas where my phone works and his doesn't. They are minor and very infrequent but none the less Verizon is better. That includes 3G coverage. At least in my area. Oh and I love the AT&T commercial that states they can be on the web and on the phone. They boost that they are the only network who can do that. WRONG, I surf the net and answer / make phone calls all the time AT THE SAME TIME. The Droid does it all. Something against the Blackberry is that it is pretty complicated to operate. The Droid uses a simple platform similar to the Iphone. Overall I would give it up for the Droid.
    Not gonna happen, too many updated models.
    shop around and find a plan that works for you. No matter where you go you will pay too much IMO. But what are you gonna do. I would love to pay $10 a month for my phone with unlimited everything but it is not gonna happen.
    Can you help? Tell me your experiences! Right now the Iphone has more apps but because the Android system is open anyone can make apps so they are increasing. On the negative side, because anyone can make an app the likelihood of a virus is greater. Also another negative, the Droid is new so they are still working out some of the bugs. I have gotten a new upgrade for my phone and love it. Before they upgrade to be honest I was about to see how many pieces I could break it into.
    The Iphone is the standard that other smartphones are compared to. It has been around for a while and has a nice look to it. The apps are great and it can do a lot. I always said if they ever got it for Verizon I would jump on it. But something the Droid has that the Iphone does not is Google Voice. I absolutely love this feature. I can place a call, get on the web, get directions and get navigation all by pushing 1 button and speaking. If I want to know an address or phone number I just ask. It's that simple. Now I did have some problems with this when I first got it but after the new upgrade it works great. A very nice feature indeed. Anyone need a TOMTOM? Mine sits in the glove compartment.....

12. uzi_the_klown

uzi_the_klown Well-Known Member

i rececamend the droid i got one and i love it

13. Optimus Scourge

News Credits:
    *high-fives megamus*

Hey, seein' as you got one, kindly post a pic you took with it. :D 

14. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I've got a droid. I like it. I HATE ATT's service. Had them for 4 years. Been with Verizon for 7 years, and the only way I'd switch back is if they gave it to me. I'm happy with the droids features, net usage, and apps. The camera is great for a phone, too.

15. uzi_the_klown

uzi_the_klown Well-Known Member

yea i took alot of pics at a christmas light show we wnt to with my droid
    just got rember load em to the pc

16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I have an iphone and I love it.

17. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I say iPhone.

Never messed around with a Droid.

18. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    I got the Eris and I love it. I preferred the no keyboard Droid and I upgraded from the abyssmal Storm family. I went through 3 Stroms in 6 months, and 3 Storm 2's in 1 month.
    AVOID THE STORMs.
    The Google Marketplace is easily as good as Apples was at the same age. Not to mention, I have found apps in marketplace, I would have had to jailbreak my Ipod Touch to get...

19. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I say iPhone too. Damn thing's a miracle worker.

20. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    I would go with a Droid or try a Blackberry Storm 2 which has WiFi (unlike my Storm 1). My wife and I have been faithful customers of Verizon for years and I don't plan on taking our service elsewhere. She actually is a manager for an AT&T sore and still greatly prefers Verizon's service and phones.