iPhone and Battery death.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Aaron, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    OK, I've got a 3Gs and have had it since about a month or so after launch. I recently noticed my battery life has gone to crud in rapid fashion. I want to ask those of you I trust more than the dude at the Apple store a question.

What's my best option and why?

I know there is a 6 or 10 dollar battery replacement deal where I get the chance to peel apart my expensive phone and hopefully not eff it up.

The first suggestion of the Apple guy was of course out of cycle upgrading to the iPhone 4. I think I would get a 100 dollar credit towards purchase costing me $299. I liked the look of the iPhone 4 but am unsure if it is worth the out of cycle purchase.

The third option is the Apple iPhone battery "replacement" where I get a refurb phone for 79 bucks.

I am leaning towards the third option as a cheapskate, but I don't know of anyone first hand who has done the DIY battery replacement.

Inform me!

2. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    You better be sure the battery life you are seeing is real. My 3G has a wicked bug that shows red even on full charge.

3. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It does a slow burn through a day that seems to drop at a relatively even rate, but about 2 times a rate of what it once was.

4. Sangron

Sangron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Had my Iphone for a year now and no problems with battery life

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    It has to do with the new OS, it uses more battery life, the newest update is supposed to fix it.

6. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    OK then, I did a whole restore to blank phone last night as a preliminary recommendation from Apple dude. Sucked that all of my prefs and game saves and all that went out the window.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    You should be able to back everything up on itunes on your cpu. I've had to restore a few times and have never lost everything. Just remember to back up before you restore if you can. And always backup your phone one a week.

8. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It was suggested that I restore the OS and NOT restore from a previous backup. He thought that I might have a corrupted app that wasn't releasing on close and was keeping processor active. That's not the case apparently... :( 

9. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Yeah, if you're restoring always make sure you restore as new as restoring from a back up most often takes the problem off, then puts it back on.

I'm sure you've gone over everything here but check out: Apple - Batteries - iPhone

Lots of little tricks to prolong the life.

Also, there's no issue with the 4.0 affecting battery life on the 3GS. You'll see an increase of the battery battery depleting, but that's because the new features use more battery life. 4.1 will not address any battery loss except minor tweaks as most of our software does.