Iphone 3GS: Is it good/worth getting, if it costs me $0?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Treadshot A1, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

My father just got the chance to upgrade his phone for no extra charge to an iPhone 3GS.

The problem is, i have no idea what an iPhone 3GS is, especially in terms of how it is compared to the regular iPhone. I do know the 3GS seems to be somewhat reduced in functionality, but exactly how it differs, i don't know.

We're currently running HTC's Legend phone, so i was just wondering if anyone here has actually used the 3GS, and could tell me whether or not it's worth upgrading? I think i heard somewhere the 3GS lacks Wifi, which is a worry if it's true. Does anyone have it/know if it's any good?

For the record, i do have an iPod Touch 3rd Gen, and an iPad first gen, which is again making me reconsider whether the 3GS is really something i would want. Help?

2. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    They're essentially giving it away because the iPhone 5 is somewhere on the near horizon, and the iPhone 4 is about to take the entry level iphone position currently held by the 3GS.

3. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's older. No front facing camera, so no Face Time. It looks like the 3GS came out in June 09 while the Legend you have now came out in March '10, so the Legend may have better hardware, but you'd have to google them up and do a side-by-side.

4. autobotguy

autobotguy Well-Known Member

Mediocre hardware coupled with crippling service and horrible service agreement from Apple makes this a lose-lose in my book. Then again, I do despise everything Apple and I'm not a big fan of AT&T either. :p 

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It has Wi-fi. I got mine back in Feb and its the only smart phone I've ever used but I love it and I have no complaints.

6. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ...it's a free smartphone.

Free. Of course it's worth getting.

If nothing else, it's a great game and A/V player. Seriously.

7. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

I suppose why i ask, is that i don't want to be locked in for nothing.

You see, we have two contracts with our current provider, one for me, one for my dad. I upgraded to the Legend a while back, and am stuck on that for 24 months. His can be upgraded at any time, to either a second Legend, or the 3GS.

However, as time goes on, more phones will be added to the list of phones we can choose from, exactly which phones we don't know. If he does get the 3GS, then we're locked in for 24 months, which means that we'll have to live on a 3GS and a Legend for that long. My dad's not exactly eager to upgrade (he couldn't find his way around a smartphone anyways), so to him, he can wait for 10 years and not upgrade if his phone doesn't break.

I guess i just wonder if there might be something the might become available soon, which would render both machines obsolete.

I'm leaning towards trying to get him to upgrade to a 3GS (which i'll probably swipe off him, since my Legend isn't exactly pleasing me). Good to hear it does have Wifi, looks like Vodafone's website was inaccurate.