iPad 2 Officially Announced

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by soundwaveCA, Mar 2, 2011.

1. MicroZone21

MicroZone21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was planning on getting an iPad this month anyway, so I'm glad I waited. It's twice as powerful and with the news that Gameloft is gonna be making games with the Unreal 3 engine, it's certainly not going to hurt to wait a couple more weeks to get the new one that can take so much advantage of that engine. That being said, the clearance priced 16GB iPad 1 for $399 is VERY tempting. Refurbished for $349.... Willpower, where are you?

Don't really care about the new movie & music apps. Couldn't carry a tune if it had a handle.

As for the other tablets, the HP and Blackberry tablets have potential. I wouldn't be shocked to see them do well, nor would I turn one down if I had the clam$ to buy either (or both) or them. (not that I'd ever need 3 tablets)

I wouldn't pay $300 for an Android tablet, even as a toy. Too much bad experience with the OS. But $800 for a Xoom is a joke. It needs a credit check from Verizon to even purchase outright. *A big F.U. to anyone that thinks turning over a soc sec # just to buy a tablet is no big deal.* AND after getting Verizon's permission to blow $800 on the thing, it STILL needs to be returned to the factory in a few months for 4G. People say that the iPad 2 was 'rushed to market', while the 4g, Flash-ready Xoom ships with neither? WTF-ever. Don't tell me they're a big deal and then dismiss them when the main Honeycomb Tablet (sounds like a breakfast cereal) for 2011 can't do either just so that it can get to market before the competition.

2. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Thanks to Ipad 2, it look's like I MIGHT get an Ipad 1 hand-me down from Dad. Geee, thanks Dad.
    I'd rather have Ipad 2 myself. We'll see what happens though. I still want an Ipad, I just hate getting used stuff. LOL!

Anyway, Ipad 2 look's great, just wished they would've increased it's capacity. I want my 160GB Ipad folks! If it doesn't have 160GB's, it'll never replace my Ipod.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yeah storage is a major drawback of the new iphones,pads,and touches. Heck I wish my 160gb Ipod had more space.

4. autobotguy

autobotguy Well-Known Member

Wow....alot of "up to" in the performance ratings.
    Give it a year and everyone will ditch their new shiny apple product for the newest release. Rinse and repeat. Apple does not revolutionize, they only evolutionize.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But the features that you listed can be done on the iphone without even a cable. I can show people pictures, video, music on my computer from across the state. Still, like with any feature, I would certainly not say "NO" to having it.

I thought it was a bit more than that, mainly because of Retina. That was such a huge improvement, that friends of mine who buy new phones are still amazed at the quality of picture. The Retina also made HD Itunes videos a possibility on the phone (whereas previously, you would have to use the Ipod versions when viewing them on your phone, now you can use the same 720p versions).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  6. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I am going to take my time deciding on what tablet I should get. I want one that can allow me to download and read books and comics, play some games like Angry Birds, and browse online using WiFi. I know iPad is nothing special in those regards but it may have the most apps supporting it and that's good enough for me.

7. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Jeez....a few friends just got their's for X-Mas and now this. As always, with apple products, expect major differences in the devices within a 2 year span.

8. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

I'm surfing the web on my iPad right now and seeing this article I'm thinking, "why would I want this barring two new cameras?". Its thinner with a different colour, that's it. I'm happy with my existing model.

9. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I see Apple as the Capcom of the tech industry. Comes out with something just to release the same thing a few months later, only with some better features, thus forcing you to upgrade.

10. An Army of Bees

An Army of Bees WTF@TFW Podcast Editor Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Call me when it runs a full fledged version of the latest iOS.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's partially true, but as a non-mac fan who only buys into their portable products, and someone who works around Mac obsessive nerds, I have observed that even the most die-hard don't buy every new release. Some of the guys I work with skip one or two generations and will only upgrade if there is a significant change. For example, I upgraded to iphone 4 from 3, and skipped 3GS, and I will definitely skip this new iphone.

I think they update and get new customers, but they don't expect you to buy a new ipad every year.

No, I'm not defending Apple. Out of all the tech companies out there, I can't stand them the most. But I think the iPhone and iPad are pretty god damn sweet.

12. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm hoping to upgrade my old phone to an Iphone, it's just I hate how they constantly upgrade their products over the span of a half a year at most. Not everyone can afford to buy the same triple digit cost phone or tablet every few months.

13. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    It's not so much the fact that Apple does this as the fact that they are so secretive about it. Would be a great help if people had a better idea what to expect when buying something like this as it's not exactly a trivial purchase. The big "what if" holding me back from buying the iPad 2 right away are the rumors that Apple will introduce yet another new model come the fall as there are strong rumors that Apple wants to make a stronger push for the Christmas season this year.

14. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    From what I have heard the rumored Fall release will either be the denied 7 inch version or a better resolution version. Perhaps they can make retina work in 7 inch without adversely hurting the battery life.

I am mostly a stay well behind the tech curve kind of guy, Iphone and Ipad will be a major break from that tendency for me. But with these kinds of products, you wait a year and you are not supported.

I think it is better to draw your line in the sand, and buy a model, because there will always be new stuff on the horizon.

These are not like PCs where the possible specs are so far ahead of regular usage needs. Maybe in a few years specs will settle down, but right now you are either going to be watching the horizon forever, or settling on a device for the short term.

15. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've had an iPad for almost 6 months and love it. My wife's getting an iPad 2 and she doesn't know it. :) 

16. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    More overpriced crap from Apple?

More overpriced crap from Apple.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can I be like your second wife?

18. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do you like cats?

19. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    Agreed and couldn't put it any better. There is no reason at all that Apple couldn't have done all of these upgrades in the original release. I would love to have e cameras on my iPad, but there is no reason for me to rush out and buy the exact same thing again for the same price. I will eagerly be awaiting iPad3 though.

Once again, agreed, but I would certainly love to have those cameras.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  20. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Considering I've used the I-pad on several occasions and eventually got a Samsung Galaxy (which is easily better IMO), I think I'd have to pass.

Even if I was an apple fan, or non "hater" I'd be hard pressed not to buy one of the other competitors tablets before the I-pad 2. I'm not worried about which tab sells the most, I'm worried about getting the best product.