iPad 2 Officially Announced

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by soundwaveCA, Mar 2, 2011.

1. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Discuss:

Apple - iPad - All-new design. Video calls. HD video. And more.

Will be available March 11 in the US and the 25th in other markets such as Canada, Europe, Asia, etc...

Pretty much everything I was expecting we would get from the announcement with the big three upgrades from the current iPad models being thinner and lighter, built in front and rear camera's, and a significant processor/memory boost. I know some were hoping for a retina display upgrade like what's on the iPhone 4 but honestly I'm torn as wile this would be a huge leap it would also probably make the iPad prohibitively expensive for a more casual technology buying public.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Not much of an upgrade. Still no SD slot, no screen upgrade, no USB, no additional storage space. Still the same exact system as it's been since the launch of the original. Other tablets will be passing this by (in terms of tech and specs) for the same price within a few weeks to months. Really nothing more than a fresh coat of paint.

3. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wanted the first model when it came out and held off for a year thinking the second generation will be even more refined.

From what I have read on cnet today from the apple event, the only question in my mind is standing in line for hours on the 11th or buying it online. It is actually my experiences trying to get stuff from SDCC off HTS that makes me want to stand in line, but frankly if their web crashes from online sales, maybe I should shop elsewhere.

I haven't heard conclusively if the 3g versions will be available at launch, I am definitely waiting for that.

I don't have alot of experience with macs, that is up until I got an Iphone 4 last december, it did die after 6 weeks. I walked into an apple store, they looked at it for 5 minutes and handed me a new one. You can't beat customer service like that.

In several months I haven't dipped below 7.5 GB free space on my 16 GB iPhone, so I think getting the 32 GB iPad will be more than sufficient.

I am planning to use this for watching movies as well as school work, playing with the handwriting recognition and what not. I have my textbooks for this semester on my iphone now, which works but a bigger screen would be much better. It will definately be seeing use as an e-reader as well. I only have basic cable atm, so may even spring for a hulu account. But anyways, I have been looking forward to this for many many months now.

I just wish it had flash for playing my lecture videos, but alas I have a laptop. There is also an app for using the ipad as a second monitor on a laptop, so I can kick it back dual screen while mobile.

Black, 32 Gb, with 3G through AT&T. That is what I am shooting for.

At least if I stand in line I will have my iPhone 4 to keep me company. Heck I can be doing reading for my class while in line.

edit: If the dell streak was at all a decent android device, I would be holding out for their supposed 10 inch tablet, as I am or perhaps was a Dell fanboy.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  4. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    And even combined, their sales won't begin to approach the iPad.

Resistance is futile, hater.

5. -Superion-

-Superion- Well-Known Member

I got the first iPad last Christmas, but since I have been busy I didn't really use it except taking the plastic off the iPad. I wonder if it will be possible to trade it in for iPad 2 (and pay the difference between the two prices), or has iPad depreciate in value so much that it won't be possible to do so.

6. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You are all sheep! SHEEP I TELL YA!

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    No USB -no sale.
    Ever.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just so I understand (no really, I'm not being sarcastic), why is USB a big deal in this particular case? I mean the system does have a USB cable, but it's proprietary on the iPad side, but USB on the other side.

I plug my iPhone to my PC all the time and move photos videos and crap around with ease. I've even used it to move non-related files around.

Are you guys talking like USB input? I guess I could see that being an issue, but not one that I ever considered until now. Like, I wouldn't want a huge USB stick popping out the side of it. SD slot, I can definitely see.

I might pick this up next week. I wanted to see what was up with that Playstation pad, because it's supposed to support PS games and incorporate with the crap I've bought on the PS store, including videos. But I have also bought some stuff in the App Store, so my investment will be warranted day 1.

You know that's not your only reason :D 

9. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Didn't the first Ipad come out like...last week?

10. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    this looks cool, but this just gets me more excited for the iphone 5 that might have a a5 chip in it.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    2 months ago.

12. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why am I reminded of Malibu Stacy with a new hat?

13. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    So I was right. Last week. :D 

14. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Wasn't this confirmed a while ago?

Anyways, quite excited, but I wish it also worked as a wifi hotspot so you could use it with your computer.

15. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Retina display would have been icing on the cake. Either way, the upgraded boost on the processor (dual core A5) and lighter weight is a pretty nice addition. The difference between the iPad and iPad 2 is like the difference between iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. It's a nice upgrade, but it's pretty much the same thing.

That being said, I skipped iPad and will probably grab iPad 2.

16. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    You can make your iPhone in to a WiFi hot spot if you know how to do it right ;) 

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Honestly, I don’t really even see the market for a tablet.
    What’s the point ? What can it do that even a lower priced notebook can’t?
    (Beyond the touchscreen, anyway.)

But the device should have a Universal Serial Bus port.
    My phone has USB.
    Hell, even the Wii has USB.

If I want to hook up my camera and show pictures or video I should be able to do that.
    If I want to do a hundred other things with USB I should be able to.
    At the very least, I should be able to replace the cable for less than the exhorbitant price Apple charges for the cable.

18. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    It came out last year at around this time.

19. Liselotte

Liselotte Revenge is coming... TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    mehhhhhh still the same with some minor upgrades. people, Apple will never give you memory storage expansion so don't expect it on their next gen products.

20. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm doing the same thing. With Apple products, SKIP the first model and wait for the second Gen:2c: . I don't know if i'll get it day one but i'll have it before my Birthday for sure (March 26th):rock