Investing: Who does it and where do u put it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 3.8TransAM, Feb 13, 2012.

1. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

Toys and collectible crap doesn't count.

Needs to be real: treasuries, ETF's, stocks, trusts, bonds, etc.

I've got a few great one's I've kept over the years like Pepsi and Union Pacific, also let a few get away from me in past times like At&T when it went to hell before the mobile craze or Yum when it was spun off from Pepsi.

I do my 5% in my 401k at work because they match the whole 5%, I hate my frikkin choices there(can buy company stock at 5% discount but its near record highs), not much of a mutual funds kinda guy......... Not donating is like giving up 100% match of my 5% I put in though, so I do it..

Really looking to tailor my portfolio in it's entirety to high dividend yield stocks and adjust it to the top 5 or 10 every year for the bulk of it. Maybe keep me enough to take some gambles or play some shorts or whatever floats my boat at the time.

So, what are you guys and gals doing?

2. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    I dunno....my portfolio tends to vary. I invest anywhere from $4 to about $10 depending. Right now the portfolio is worth about $40 million.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well for me, simply breaking even when it comes to interest & inflation + not being homeless is a successful investment at this point, and yeah. Toys are totally a good investment. Totally. ;) 

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a couple of Roth 403(b) accounts through my job, one with TIAA-CREF and one wth Vanguard, and I'm putting ~30% of my (gross) pay into them, split evenly between the two companies. For both Vanguard and TIAA-CREF, I'm in one of the Target Retirement Funds; pretty sure it's the 2045 Target Retirement Fund.

In addition to that, I have a personal Roth IRA also in Vanguard's 2045 Target Retirement Fund, which I max out every year ($5000) using some money I received as an inheritance a few years ago. I do dollar cost averaging on this account, so I invest $210 every couple of weeks, rather than a single large amount all at once.

5. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

There are two types of investing:
    1) Capital Gains investing, where your buy and sell for a one-time profit (stocks, bonds, real estate).
    2) Cashflow investing, where you purchase assets that put $ in your pocket every month (business and real estate).

You need to ask yourself what type of investing you want to do. How do they serve your long-term investing plan?
    Capital gains will not allow you to retire. Cashfllow will. At the end of the day, true investing is about creating passive income.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It really depends on where you live and what the laws are (especially in terms of taxation). But in this day and age, it is essential for people our age to begin putting away money in some form of a retirement savings plan.

7. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've got a few piece of real estate and I've also made some money from the cattle market.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I invest in my girlfriend. And where I put it is between me and her.

I've got some bonds somewhere my parents gave me when I was little. I really should check into those now I think of it. Probably worth nothing now knowing my luck.

9. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

Thought there would be more of us in here...................

Not a good sign if people are reading this lol

So no one is sharing any stocks that have done well for them?

I literally have everything of mine rolled into Roth IRA's. We won't talk about taxes that year ughhhhhhhh(when i moved everything).

Stocks are a form of cash flow investing if you go after dividends(also dividends account for 40-50% of gains) in the market. Same for bonds when the times are right and they are paying interest (not now obviously).

Wish we were seeing some more traffic on this one.

Damn Scantron how u putting 30% of gross into a retirement setup????????????????

10. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

This is true, I just didnt want to write out a lengthy explanation of the differences at 5:00.

11. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    Minus the word investing this thread could have been about sex :lol 

12. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

lol I wasn't expecting any dissertations in here, unless someone wants to do one.

Was just looking to see how other people handle their investing, stock picks, new ideas, etc.

How stocks have done for them, brokerages, stuff like that, unless u want to do a big 'ole write up

13. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  14. starbasetoys

starbasetoys Cybertronian Trader

Hey man...can you spare a few bucks?

15. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I fund my 401k at 6%, for the full employer 6% match. I keep it aggressive, all in equity funds. I've allocated 45% international, and 25% of that is emerging markets. The rest is 35% large cap and 10% each to mid- and small-cap. Did pretty well last year dollar-cost averaging, really bounced back from 08-09.

I keep my company stock at 5% too, having a little skin in the game helps me keep from slacking off :lol 

I keep meaning to get my own taxable account and start playing with some ETFs and maybe some options trading, but first I need to get more of my surplus toys liquidated.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  16. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

Something tells me u have the same for crap 401k setup I have thru my work lol.

At least you are posting what you have going on and trying to help rather than quoting articles or comments.

I appreciate it and for what its worth, without looking mine up this second, we have very very close numbers percentage wise in how we have our cash allocated lol

17. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

18. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Gold doesn't usually outpace inflation by much in terms of return (unless there's speculation effects), but it's pretty stable as well, so in an extremely unstable market it can be used in foundational diversification and portfolio hedging. That being said, there's other secure forms of investment such as government bonds or GICs.

19. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

All right.

Everyone needs to quit throwing theory and strategies out there and talk about what they actually have their money in and share some stocks they may actually own.

Gold is effectively useless and had no actual intrinsic worth or benefit, other than what people are willing to pay for it. Sadly wayyyyyy to much as of late lol

Let's get back to where u put your money(under matresses doesnt count)

If u bring in a quote from outside sources, relate it to your own portfolio.

There has to be more than 5 of us here who are active investers

20. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Well that's not completely true, while gold's main use is in jewellery, ornamentation, and financial backing, gold as a metal is highly useful in a number of chemical and electronic applications due to its malleability, resistance to corrosion, low melting point and ridiculous electrical conductivity.