Introducing old characters to new fans

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tehKOREANdude, Jan 29, 2011.

1. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude inimitable, original

News Credits:
    Hey guys! The latest WTF@TFW got me thinking about something. With the Generations toyline being arguably the most popular of the TF toylines available right now, what sort of demographic is it reaching?

Are the littlest kids still buying HFTD toys because they grew up with the movie aesthetic, or are they too going for the Generations?

As a 15 year old, I've been able to freely access the internet to watch things such as Generation 1 and talk to other long time fans on open forums such as this one. As such, I've been loving Generations cuz it allows me to get "G1" toys that I missed out on (cuz I wasn't alive in the 80's >.>), and it's also introduced me to new, awesome characters (MERCY IS NOT DISPENSED HERE FOOLS! ONLY-wait you really don't know who I am?).

Of course, a major part of the fandom is the adults who grew up with TFs. What kind of TFs do your kids go for? Do they enjoy the more movie inspired designs, or do they like Generations? Do they have any attachment to the Generations characters, if they haven't been able to watch G1 or other older Transformers series? HFTD, with its slew of original designs and name slap-ons can be just as alienating as Generations to younger children. But are they gravitated to one more than the other? And do you guys introduce/tell your kids about the old characters like Tracks or Perceptor?

I'm just wondering what you guys think about which toylines are reaching who, and if familiarity with characters has anything to do with it?

2. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I have no kids but the day I have Ill strap them infront of the tv feeding them G1 untill they can recite the whole show and move...must keep the legacy going.

3. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    My 8 year old little brother past couple of figures have been gen/rts toys because they are easy to transform and he likes the g1 look more than movie. I also think that kids like gen because it similar looking to animated. Example Compare tfa soundwave to gen and movie and what character looks more like the animated will win the child choice. But my little brother knows about g1 and plays alot of wfc.