INtroducing myself, a blind Transformers fan

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Xonic, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey there. I'm a fairly new member to these boards. As some of you know by now, I'm totally blind, meaning I have no sight and work out all the Transformers I collect by touch, or a little help from my friends, since you can't seem to get hold of text instructions anywhere, other than bens world of transformers and cliffbee.com. I read the computer screen and indeed these forums with a text to speech program.
    People seemed quite interested in the fact I couldn't see and I don't mind any questions in that regard and about how i interact with the toys, so I started this new thread specifically for this purpose. So, if anyone has any questions, please just post and I'll attempt to answer :) 
    Mean time, have a youtube video review of DOTM ratchet from me, probably involves lots of hands and odd angles as I attempt to show the camera something that I can't see :) 
    Transformers, Dark of the Moon: deluxe MechTech Autobot Ratchet review - YouTube

2. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

ha

Thats awesome man.

Nice to see u dont let the little stuff bother you and are committed to having fun and enjoying something regardless

3. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Hi and welcome. You should post this in the General section, most probably the Non-Transformers section.

4. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    yeah I guess so. I posted it here as i'm mostly into the toys. Can i move it or do I have to start a new thread? sorry, very new to this.

5. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    The mods can move it I guess.

6. Flexx Ark

Flexx Ark Cyberverse Completionist

News Credits:
    Welcome bro. Glad your a part of this.

7. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Personally, I don't think it needs to be moved. It's a thread concerning transformer toys, and is therefore in the correct place. Welcome Xonic! I see you're from the London, drop by the UK toy discussion thread where we sometimes talk about transformer toys!

8. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    It's kind of a bummer that you're blind, but I still find this kinda cool!

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Considering Transformers has such a lot of visual stuff going on in it I must admit I've never really thought about a blind person being into the franchise. I can however understand where the tactile appeal would lie, with converting figures between modes.
    A lack of fully in-depth text instructions does seem like it should exist now you mention it. Although with the complexity of some figures in recent years I'd probably be lost trying to relate in text how some of the more finicky joints move. I have a hard enough time transforming some of them myself.
    My younger sister is partially-sighted and she's had a go on a few of my figures. I've never thought about how her level of eyesight might affect her use of them though.

On a similar track, I have wondered in the past whether there were any TF figure collectors that had one or both arms missing or lacking a hand or some fingers. My uncle lost an arm and I've often wondered if I would have gotten into the TF figures at all if I'd not been as able to manipulate them as I can with all my parts intact (if a little creaky).

Regardless of my musings. Welcome in. :) 
    Indeed. This is an interesting aspect of figure collecting that I doubt many have thought of.
    Although I would also hope that Xonic doesn't become defined here solely as 'the blind guy'.

10. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thread doesn't need to be moved, you talk about toys, this is the toys section.

Having worked with deaf people in the past, and myself having health issues, I find those of us that have these so called "handicaps" are the lucky ones. We've adapted and tend to be more efficent then people who are in perfect health in a lot of cases. In some ways, I feel we have an advantage.

Anyone watch Master Chef? There is a girl on there, Christine, who is blind. She's been kicing ass so far in the competition and I think last week, even made the best dish that Ramsey said was visually stunning.

11. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    The thread is fine here. Welcome to the boards. :) 

12. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    @Gingerchris, the sound in the Tf movies is honestly some of the best out there. The sound in general is amazing across all the series though I was never a fan of anything between g1 and the recent movies, although can see the appeal of annimated.
    RE the lack of arms thing, i can't imagine transforming something like sentinel prime leader class with one arm I should think it would be very impractical, he's an utter pain at the best of times and I've heard rotf prime is even worse. I'm getting Jetwing Prime soon, so we'll see how that turns out I guess without instructions.

13. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Welcome to TF World!

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Xonic, what are some of your favorite figures? Do you enjoy the television shows or the movies? I'm interested as to how someone in your position perceives the franchise.

15. VelcroShoes

VelcroShoes New Member

In the interests of full disclosure, I know Xonic in real life, I'm the girl that films his reviews :)  That said, I am interested to know things from other people as well (I'm a 'formers N00b, it's Xonic that gets me into these things) and I also wanted to know things that I just never think of to ask him! So here goes:

1) What's your favorite transformer?
    2) Which was the hardest/easiest transformation without instructions?
    3) Money no object, which transformer would you get?
    4) Which was the most tactile transformation?
    5) Which series has the best music?
    6) Why haven't you bought Grimlock yet, as he is clearly the best?!

16. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Favourite transformer is really hard. can I have 4? probably G1 ginrai Prime, he's the one i remember the most from childhood but i had powermaster, back then. Ginrai is amazing with his armor on, still for me the diffinitive Prime because of his shape and build.
    Then g1 Galvatron, big part of my childhood as well, he made sounds which was amazing and he felt liek a decepticon to me. He was all curvy and sleak and sinister. Plus he looked liek a proper robot and his fusion cannon was fantastic!
    G1 soundwave next. i never had him as a kid but he has the coolest voice of any former and he looks like what he's supposed to transform into, and he has cassettes. just got the 2009 exclusive of him and boy was he worth it.
    G1 Scorponok, this guy is just BIG! I had him as a kid from a car boot sale missing all his bits, got him boxed and almost mint for £150 recently and he's just impressive and huge!
    Others I love though, G1 Omega, very unique odd toy, Metroplex because he looks like a city and he has a ton of guns on him and leader Sentinel Prime because he's complex but elegant.

17. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Welcome to the boards Xonic!

I apologize in advance for my rudeness but if I may ask, were you born visually impaired or was the loss of your sight gradual? I am just curious as to your frame of reference in regard to transformers figures. I am curious if at one time you were able to see the figures and how they work visually and thus gradually lost your sight or have you always experienced them through tactile means?

I am also curious as to which TF series of figures you like and dislike. What interests you about them? Their transformation? The detailing on the figures? Do you also collect repaints? What if the repainted figures have retooled parts?

18. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hardest transformation so far might surprise people, it was actually G1 megatron. leader sentinel was hard yes, but I think i was so fearful of him because everyone said it was so difficult i didn't try as hard as I usually do. I watched a youtube vid with a friend, started working him out and finished. The hardest though was g1 megs for a few reasons. Firstly, I didn't want to break him, he's very fragile. Secondly, I honestly couldn't work out what to do with all the spare bits to make the bazooka and the gun emplacement when he was in robot mode. Again, youtube, and friend to help me. I fiddled with that thing for days but really just couldn't work it out on my own :) 
    Easiest recently was either leader starscream which was really easy and leader ironhide which I knew was going to be really easy given the reviews. most surprising was leader Bumblebee, since I thought he'd be harder but worked him out in about half an hour and whilst attending a management meeting on the phone. Most frustrating though was ROTF leader megatron. Not a fan of the robot mode, really hate the tank mode, annoying to transform and honestly felt like I had to smack it about before it all locked together properly :) 

19. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Money being no object, I'd buy Fort Max obviously. Wouldn't everybody? :)  also,I'd need to get a bigger shelving unit for him as he's almost large enough to guide me round the shops.
    I think the most tactile transformation is hard, i'm not really sure what you mean by tactile, but I do prefer the feel of the g1s with their metal parts and rubber tyers, I miss that now even though th quality and details are better. Am considering getting some masterpieces as I don't have any.
    Best music series is definitely either the recent movies or g1. G1 because it's just quirky and original and the ne movies I have the soundtracks on all the time. I think Steve J did an absolutely amazing job.
    Why haven't I bought grimlock yet? this is Velcroshoes favourite character. she means why haven't I bought masterpiece grimlock yet? 2 reasons. Number 1, I've been buying too much else. Number 2 and this is the more worrying, I don't have any masterpiece figures. I'm very scared that if I get one as cool as Grimlock, that'll be it and I'll have to get Prime, starscream, rodimus, megatron and who knows what else. I am definitely going to get MP soundwave though if he's any good!!!!

20. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    @seawing, I've never had sight. My Granny brought me my first transformer from a carboot sale many years ago when i was about 5. Actually some of you might be able to tel me what it was. I'm fairly sure it was a robot that came inside a pretendor. His legs folded up under his chest and he had big flat wings that folded out to either side of him, made a sort of spacehship type thing. I don't have them any more so can't get a picture. Anyway after this i got g1 blitswing. He was missing his turrit and all his weapons, but I fell inlove. AFter that it was every week down the sales and just getting used bots. I only had a few that were ever bought for me brand new. Ironhide, Thunderclash (god I wish I'd kept him), Flash from the turbo masters. All the rest of mine were used.
    What do I like about them? they're just so unique! at least 2 toys in 1, they're giant robots with guns and they have personalities. There were audio books of them, you could carry tons in a backpack, they're just brilliant. I like the g1 series because they're what I remember as a kid and they have rubber and metal so they feel different. I also like the movies because in my opinion, G1 and the movies are the only realistic and well acted stuff. I really hate the voices used for all the other series. Animated is ok and I do really like Transformers Prime I guess but other than that, just G1 and movies. I wouldn't get repaints, i hate buying copies of things :)  I'd just choose the ones that looked most like their onscreen counterparts. NO, I wouldn't buy ones with retooled parts unless it was the first time I was buying that mold.