Intimidated by Shopping for TF

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Brrjit, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    I used to be conscious when I was a little younger, around 16 or so, and I bought a toy here or there.
    Now I don't give a rat's ass, I work hard on my money, and if I want to spend them on toys, I will damn do it if I please.

Why is buying condoms so embarrassing? If I'm going to the store at 1:30am for just condoms, the cashier damn knows why I am, and I'm not going to deny that I'm getting laid.

2. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

i feel a bit awkward when buying the toys. usually i get a cheap-o birthday card with it so it doesnt look like it's for me.
    when buying clothes/posters/etc. i don't feel uncomfortable at all.

3. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I think my first TF toy was Car Robots Fire Convoy, that was the 1st line i seriously got into. I was a spunky 16 year old then and madly obssessed with Black Convoy! Ah, sweet memories.

4. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    For whatever reason I always feel more embarrassed for other collectors(or more likely scalpers) than I do for myself. Especially when I see them feverishly digging through everything like their lives depended on it. I'm sorry but, please show a little composure and dignity.

As cashiers go, I've actually had a couple at Target strike up a conversation about Transformers. It simply isn't an issue these days.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  5. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Thinking about it, I probably get more looks for my well dressed, but slightly scruffy hippy appearance.

Also, people are still embarrased buying condoms? Perhaps when you're thirteen and filling them with water, but adults? Being responsible makes you embarrased?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  6. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    Ahh, yes. Despite no longer feeling the angst outside of Sainsbury's Baby isle, I too had a habit of buying infrequently before the straw broke the camel's back a little over a year ago and I delved head-first back into the world of TFs. That straw was MP Starscream.

7. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

The only flak I've ever gotten is from my mother. Another reason I can't wait to move out.

8. Brrjit

Brrjit Fembot in Disguise

It's the opposite with my mother - she thinks my hobby is adorable.

"Oh, are you going to buy more Transformbots to play with? :D "

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Brrjit just be strong there is absolutely nothing wrong with you collecting Transformers and if any family gives you flak about it ( you mother doesn't and thats cool) just tell them there are alot of worse things you could use your money on

10. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    hahah.. I think it is obvious it is for when considering I am wearing my autobot hat, shirt, and wallet when I buy stuff:) 

11. RodimusPrimeYV0

RodimusPrimeYV0 I

Ha!, ya'll think that is bad try Buying all three Coraline Dolls at one time lol ,funny thing The Security guy was also buying one so I felt a bit more comfortable ,but as far as TFs (or just about any other figure ) I have no shame actually .

12. Brrjit

Brrjit Fembot in Disguise

That's what I love about my parents - they've always been incredibly accepting of my dorky hobbies over the years. Hell, my mom has always helped me gather supplies for my cosplay costumes, my dad built a Keyblade for me back when I was obsessed with Kingdom Hearts, and my mom continues to keep an eye out for any TF related stuff that I might be interested in.

13. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

Nope. Not embarrassed at all. Maybe a little when I first started collecting, but I got over real quick. If they ask if it's for my kid, I just tell them "it's for me".

14. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Intimidated/embarrased when paying for TFs? Hell No! :D  The only time I can recall when a checkout-chick gave me a dirty look was when I was paying for Classics Skyfire at a local Target. The 50-something year old gave me a look of disgust & I shot her a cheesy-grin back. As if I care that I'm a 29 year old who buys TFs/toys? I'm proud to be a kid-at-heart living inside a 29-year-old body. :D 

15. jerky123

jerky123 PSN=deadpoolistheman

News Credits:
    I'm not embaressed. But I don't talk about it. ;) 

16. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

I sometimes feel embarrassed buying them when other people are in the same aisle, but when I get home and get them out, it all becomes worth it!

I know, I should care less for the oppinion of someone I don't know, and never will know, but I just am for some reason.

Oh well, It's worth being a TF Fan. :D 

17. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

:rolleyes: 

By the way, I don't think xenophobia means what you think it means. And obviously the cashiers at your Wal-Mart are Harvard-educated intellectuals who play chess with each other during their lunch breaks. Whereas the cashiers in my US hometown, by all appearances, just climbed out from under working on a pick-up truck.

Sorry if I hit a little too close to home for you. Take a few night courses, and remember "cashier" is a JOB, not a career.

In any case, caring what anyone thinks about a purchase is just silly.

18. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    I am sometimes embarrassed.

19. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    This is true for me as well, maybe a little bit embarrassed at first, but I made friends and allies with all the toy people and managers very quickly so now I don't think about it when they call me to tell me the new truckload of TF's are in and what can they hold back for me?? Usually I've already had that conversation, but just in case they got something in I didn't expect, and like many others of you I show up in my TF t-shirt of the day...well, 1 more thing, the guys get the biggest kick out of a woman who knows her Transformers!!
    They Love it!! and so do I!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Zigholtul

Zigholtul I am the Waffle Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At first I was alittle embarrassed (back when the first movie came out) but now I could give a crap.