Intimidated by Shopping for TF

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Brrjit, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Brrjit

Brrjit Fembot in Disguise

Do you guys ever feel embarrassed when shopping for Transformers related merchandise (clothes, toys, cartoon DVDs etc.)?

Do you make up excuses about buying stuff for your "younger cousin"? Or are you completely honest when someone asks you about it? ("Hell yeah, I love Transformers!") Do you try and get in and out of there as quickly as possible? I wanna hear some stories!!

I usually buy my toys online (I prefer as little human interaction as possible, lol) but when buying a TF carrier bag a little while ago, the cashier was also a big TF fan so that was a good experience :) 

You guys?

2. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    depends on what the figure looks like. it was a little embrassing walking to the register with a pink and white ice cream truck in my hands....... otherwise I could care less

but if youre embarassed by TFs try buying PR toys in stores. youll definitely get some odd looks there

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I freely admit I collect them so say it loud! say it proud!

4. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

I don't give a shit what other people think.

5. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Not really embarassed, when the sales personnel ask "for your kid?" I say upfront "no, for myself". TRU personnel seem to be more knowledgeable about collectors, they almost always ask "for your collection sir?"

One time, I ordered the Takara BB Ez clear online. When I went to the store to claim it, the salesgirl said "oh, i thought it was a kid who ordered it." I jokingly replied, "yes, for my son." My gf was with me that time and we had a good laugh over it.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    never embarassed to buy anything. fuck, I want them, it's their job to sell it to me. if I wanna go to a store and buy 20 jars of vasoline, a barbie, razorblades and bandaids, I'll do it. Well, no, I wouldnt make that purchase, but, well. fuck. I was going somewhere with this, but it's gone now.

7. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    Exactly. There are adults in the toy aisle all the time (at least when I shop). No one really ever asks about me buying toys, but if they do, I'll just tell them as it is.

8. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Nope. Well, not when it comes to Transformers at least. I'm a Disney-holic, though. Namely The Little Mermaid. So sometimes my niece comes into play when I'm buying Ariel stuff. XD

9. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    When I go food shopping I take a gander at the toy section, gawking at the TF's while kids are all over the place and nagging their mums to buy them something. I do feel like a tit to be honest but meh its only a momentary feeling. The plastic crack makes it all better again.

10. Brrjit

Brrjit Fembot in Disguise

I know what you mean. I see kids running around and I think "Man, this stuff I'm buying is REALLY meant for them..."

Then I stop giving a shit and buy it anyways :D 

11. MegaCepticon

MegaCepticon Well-Known Member

I actually joke with the cashier that I open them and play with them in my sandbox, usually it makes them smile. They joke back, and I have a good time!!! I'm proud to buy toys for my collection, why hide it?

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I've just gotten too old and too crazy to really care what people think about me because there are far worse things about me than my enjoyment of action figures.

Only real rule I have about shopping for toys at a store is that if kids are looking at the figures I'll be polite and let them have the first shot at the figures and then I'll for figures myself. I don't mind people thinking I'm some crazy bugger that collects toys but damn I'd hate for people to think I was scalper scum.

13. Embryoyo

Embryoyo Destron

i don't give a shit at all

14. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

Honestly, its never bothered me. Plus, TFs are so big right now, you get looks when you dismiss it. ;) 

15. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not scared at all. Who should be more embarrassed anyway.

A. The Adult with money to buy Toys?

B. The Adult that works as a cashier at walmart?
    :popcorn 

16. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    i could really give less a shit what they think. Once i bought my TFA megatron at toysrus, and when i opened my wallet to pay a condom fell out, got a pretty weird look from the cashier but w/e. Its pretty funny when people are staring at you when your hiding toys for another time though.

17. SpicyRichter

SpicyRichter Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My cousins hot friiend the other day and saw my pile of 30 MISB deluxe toys and 15 MISB voyager toys all stacked up along the wall in my office, and said, 'Uhhh... that's not wierd or anything'

bitch

18. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I only play the "it's for my nephew" card if the girl is cute and has a thing for kids. I like my toys, but I like girls even more ;) 

19. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    ...Neither?

20. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    could have been worse you could have been buying classics Astrotrain when it happened :lol