Interviews with Eric Holmes and James Roberts

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Denyer, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Two different interviews for you, both courtesy of Dave (spiderfrommars) at TransFans.

The first is with Eric Holmes, game designer and writer on the Megatron origin miniseries coming our way in May:

http://transfans.net/interviews_holmes.php

Second is with James Roberts, British fandom mainstay, writer and Marvel UK afficionado:

http://transfans.net/interviews_roberts.php

Eric seems a thoroughly nice guy and any worries I had about this Megatron story being a Dreamwave throwback have been put to rest. Sounds as though we'll be getting real, solid characterisation.

James' Eugenesis will also be well worth you checking out once the site for it is up; it's one of the most enjoyable books I've read, not just one of the best TF fics. Particularly recommended for fans of the Marvel stuff.

Whatever your hopes for the movie, 2007 should be a great year for Transformers. :) 

Oh, and while I'm here, the Movie Prequel #1 comic's apparently been pushed back -- hazarding a guess, it might be Diamond squeezing other titles over to get the final Civil War part out to stores post haste. (edit: Printing issue. Nevermind that conspiracy theory...)

2. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WOW!!

Normally, I am pretty firmly a Auto-gal. But this hinting at choices (perhaps poor ones, or betrayal) that makes Megatron into who we know & "love", sounds great. And that his personal evolution does involve some of the other known characters.

And I LOVE that cover!

3. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    Nice interview Eric. Thanks for the read.

Spencer.

4. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    YES! YES! I have nothing but praise for that book. Marvelous story, really puts you in the scene. Definite buy for any fan who really enjoys a good adventure with detail to characters and their varied personalities.

5. Goodchild

Goodchild Masterpiece Con

That Spencer guy is crazy.

But his girlfriend is hot...

6. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Man, I've always wanted to read Eugenesis! Can't wait for the chance. If anyone knows where I can get the print edition, or has a copy for sale, I'd be interested in buying it.

Oh, and the interviews rocked too!

7. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

The Megatron Origin mini looks very cool!

I managed to snag a copy of Eugenesis at BotCon several years back. The dealer was going to put it in the auction, but he was willing to sell it to me for $70. He said the average going price for the novel on ebay was like $100, so I think I got a good deal. And no, I'm not parting with my copy, sorry.

As for the story, it's a good read. A satsifying conclusion to the Marvel UK comic book series with an epilogue that leads into BW. Some of the characters like Thuderclash seemed to come out of nowhere, but I'd say 90% of the novel is easy to follow for those who have read the major UK comic stories. If you've read the Titan reprints, you should be fine. Rodimus is put in critical condition early in the story. Nightbeat investgates the mysterious disappearances of several Bots. The Quintessons are on the move. Death's Head is back. Several Autobots endure Decepticon capture and torture (by Shockwave's forces I think), not all survive. Prowl struggles with the presures of leadership. Kup makes a heroic stand. Soundwave steps into a leadership position again. And Optimus Prime time travels and saves the day. It's been a while since I read it, but I'm sure if pressed I can remember more for anyone who is curious.

8. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Wow @ #12!

I’d like to do is show a technical evolution of the characters and how their ideologies tie into their physical appearances. For example, the seekers have their weapons ON their arms. Megatron has his fusion cannon ON his arm. Shockwave has swapped out a hand for a blaster. Soundwave has his missile pack mounted to his shoulder.

There are exceptions of course (Trailbreaker leaps to mind), but it seems to me that more Autobots carry their weapons in their hands rather than having them ‘mounted’ through physical modifications. Wouldn’t it be neat if there was a reason for this?

?!?

I never REALLY gave that much thought,,, He might be on to something there.

9. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Any idea if/when Eugenesis may re-appear? I didn't even know about it, having not had a lot of access to the UK comics. SOunds like a great read.

Even though I'm not a big fan of retconning, I do give Furman bg props for attempting to make things mostly sync up (if what I gather from different threads is correct).

*note to self: add UK TF compilations to wish lists*

10. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Hmm... maybe I should've mentioned Eric is writing the Megatron origin in the thread title. I don't think that many people have made the connection...

Last I heard, within the next couple of months -- James is busy with a young family at the moment, but he's keen to get it out there with additional notes so that people who haven't read the material it ties into will get the most out of the story.

I'll post once I see any further news; it's a pretty unique thing within the fandom, and certainly the best piece of extended TF fiction I've read. There are things that can be done in prose that just aren't possible or work very much as kludges in comic or cartoon form, particularly with description and character work.