Interview with Shoji Kawamori and more information from Japanese magazines

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Nevermore, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, talk about the rumor that just won't die. That "exclusive accurate Starscream" rumor was debunked almost faster than it was publicized. Yet it just won't go away. As for Kawamori being the one to pick green, as someone who's not really fond of the mold, I'd prefer if we stick to going after the true problems and where they actually originated. Kawamori wanted grey. Somewhere along the lines, that got turned into green. Who knows where? Someone, somewhere, deep in the bowels of Takara.

2. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    However, we saw green months prior to production. They never changed it from early samples to final. Kawamori certainly should know what color 36118 grey really is, being such a big F-15 fan, particularly of FAST-pack equipped ones like the E model. And with how many things that color are stationed in Japan, go to Japanese airshows, etc. I'm guessing Kawamori actually wanted/intended his own F-15E*ISH* green-grey, and not F-15E grey.

3. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Except there's no one screaming that Kawamori is raping their childhoods :p 

4. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Nope! Just the character and/or the vehicle he transforms into.

5. Subotnik

Subotnik Please Stand By.

I'm thinking about selling my Starscream because it doesn't have a 100% accurate cockpit.

Kawamori you hack, you can't get anything right!!!

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ... YET! :D 

7. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    no, no, no.

michael bay is raping your childhood.

kamawori is raping your starscream.

get it straight, people.

8. Kristof

Kristof Well-Known Member

Hmmm...there seems to be a raping trend with all things Transformers as of late, perhaps these are the latent effects of Kiss-Play, eh?

9. ArmadaSideswipe

ArmadaSideswipe Well-Known Member

First, I think your view of anime is ignorant. Only cartoons like Kappa Mikey would have you believe that all (or even most) anime have pink spiky hair, giant heads, or 3/4 body length legs. The eye thing, however, is certainly true, but that itself came from Tezuka modeling Astro Boy after Disney. Of course, if you were joking, as I realize is possible, then I apologize. Also, I'm sorry if you take offense to this. I'm a bit bipolar, and sometimes don't realize just how offensive I am when I write something until I reread it and shock myself. I'm editing it a little bit to not seem as much a jerk.

Second, if Trigun was changed that much (as much as you imply), I would probably be appalled. No, make that definitely, and I'm not Japanese. This Alex Ross guy. Do I know who the heck he is? Not at all. Trigun, however, is the best damned cartoon I've ever seen. Vash is the greatest hero in comic/animated history, and changing him in such a way would be akin to giving Superman the "pink spiky hair" you speak of. Now Starscream? He's been changed plenty of times. Different lines for different times. He wasn't redesigned to apease any one country, he was redeigned to better fit those lines, and this one is not an exception.

EDIT: I've seen some of Ross's work now. It's not only impressive, but extremely accurate to the source. Having seen that, I would be interested in how he handled Trigun, actually, because he would probably draw a perfect photo-realistic Vash (since Vash doesn't have HUGE eyes, it would likely be very accurate). It seems that Ross has worked with anime before, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gatchaman_boxart.jpg and those are DAMNED GOOD photo-realistic drawings of the Gatchaman cast!

Now this Starscream... I like the design. I think it's great. The color scheme, however, I'm not big on. Go figure. I'm sure they'll repaint it at least once, though.

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    .. with dual samurai sword sheaths (but no swords) ;) 

11. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

You don't have to deliberately mess with the colours to have a bad photo that doesn't really reflect the actual colour of the item. Bad lighting, taking a picture through poor lenses with innaccurate colour correction, scanning a photo with the gamma settings not correctly set up, using the wrong white balance settings etc can all throw photos off. Heck, colours are thrown off a bit simply by altitude as the thinner air is refracting the sun's light less.

This is a pretty grainy photo. It's obviously not perfectly taken - and likely taken from another military aircraft, where the camera was likely not set up with perfect colour reproduction as the number one priority.

Like I say, there are plenty of places you can buy the paint they use on F-15s, and it's simply nothing like this. If they were going for accuracy, they failed. I'd at least understand if they'd painted it accurately rather G1 colours, but they don’t seem to have done either, and effectively created a new seeker colour scheme. Which, after they'd done the other seven existing seekers might not have bothered me…

Phazer

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Ramjet, Thrust, Dirge...? Sunstorm?

13. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    I think for Phaze to sleep at night he's going to have to reclassify this as a new character. That would leave the seven named Seekers.

14. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

Yep. After that, if they wanted to add a new green seeker with an original bio? I actually might have thought that was pretty cool. But certainly Takara's tactic of not annoucing if they're doing an anime repaint or not, and hoping people will buy the mold out of panic and the offchance rather than informing customers properly of their choices is pretty low, IMO.

Indeed, I always thought it would be a nice E-Hobby exclusive with the reissues to try a dark green seeker mixing up the parts a little, say with Dirge's wings and the SS/TC/SW/Th missile launchers, maybe as a female seeker.

Phazer

15. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    Green? I thought Starscream was blue-grey but appeared green in yellow light.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    He is blue grey. I don't know where so many people are getting green from.

17. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, he's NOT green. There's a slight greenish tint to the plastic, but it sure as hell isn't green plastic.

18. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I got my MP3 from BBTS last night.
    I'm OK with the colors.
    I'm OK with the hip kibble.
    I'm OK with the size.

Can someone explain to me how I paid $100 and got no metal.
    All Plastic for $100? WTF!!

19. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

If you weren't aware of that at this point, you really can't blame anyone. It's been all over everywhere since even before his release that he would not contain diecast except for some internal load-bearing mechanisms.

I pay up to two-hundred, sometimes more, for a Valkyrie with fast-packs and it contains no die-cast save for the swing-arm. I WOULD like to see more paint on them for that price, but die-cast isn't the be-all, end-all.

20. butz

butz slippery when wet

Looks blue-ish, not green.