Interview with Shane McCarthy (All Hail Megatron)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Omegatron, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Newsarama has posted an interview with Shane McCarthy, writer of the upcoming IDW series 'All Hail Megatron.' Probably the most that's been said about this series to date. I'm looking forward to it, and Guido's art.

-Tony!

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Makes me think that Spotlight: Mirage was in continuity -only further ahead than the current titles.

3. STL

STL Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    can't wait for this to start.

4. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    I'm in two minds - I liked the Furman direction and the spotlights, and reboots are generally a sign that mistakes have been made or that the writers have penned themselves into a corner. Given the lead up to the whole "Dead Universe" scenario, dropping it at the 11th hour seems to indicate a lack of confidence.

On the plus side, I love the artwork and inclusion of more characters. I just hope it lives up to previous IDW highlights like Stormbringer.

5. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Haha - reboot/alt universe shoehorned into continuity.

Poor Simon Furman, if he had to ditch his future storylines to accomodate this (not McCarthy's fault, to boot).

6. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    That sounds pretty cool, though there have to bbe suviving autobots so the fight has to go on but hopefully it is more violent.

7. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    I really hope that the Autobots left at the end of Devastation are still around. If not, I hope we get a satisfying explanation for why they're not.

8. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

No Autobots , the bad guys win AND humans will be thew main oponents? Now that just ain´t right...:( 

I could have dealt with the cons wining, but humans being their main oponents now? Sorry, that is wrong....

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    QFT. I'll be passing big time on this.

10. General Magnus

Hopefully the storyline AFTER "All hail Megatron" turns things right. Shame I was hyped about this, but now with the humans as the main antagonists of the cons, it just a big "meh".

11. GrantB

GrantB Drink it

News Credits:
    I'm not clear; is this a fork of the continuity? Or will "All Hail Megs" be the canonical IDW main TF continuity?

12. General Magnus

From what I gather it´s cannonical IDW unfortunaly...

13. STL

STL Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From what we've heard it's a bit of mixed message. I think IDW are trying to market it as in continuity w/ Furman's stuff but, ultimately, I think that it's more of a "what if" type tale. Just everything about the plot doesn't make sense. Expansion and Revalation are running at the same time this is. I doubt Furman is going to let his stories take a back seat. So i think IDW is misdirecting us somewhat, trying to market it as in continuity to keep existing readers while trying to appeal to the broader readership that has dropped off by offering something new. I could be wrong but the book just doesn't gel.

The interview gives strong indications that Prime will return imo. Just the question of where is Prime suggests that to me.

I don't think we have to worry too much about the humans. I particularly look forward to how the Decepticons handle ruling.

14. General Magnus

I also want to see Megatron rulling with an Iron fist. But I´m afraid of instead an Autobot Resistance, we will get a human resistance as their main oponents. That´s what I don´t want to to see.

15. STL

STL Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really recommend you wait for the TPB then, General Magnus. It's what I tend to do w/ new series from Marvel or DC that I'm not so sure about. It saves me a bit of money and grief and is easier to sell on eBay than single issues. That's unless you like covers (like me) which can be rather expensive. But I appreciate how TF comic art has progressed to what it is today rather than the old Marvel/UK stuff (tho there was the good odd bit here and there).

16. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are so many things wrong with this series...

-Art designs. Why would the seekers 'downgrade' themselves from F-22 to F-15? Or Megs back into a Walther P38?
    -Shane not sure why the Cons are on Earth? Umm, Ore-13? Anyone?
    -End of the war in one year?!? Hardly... The Autobots just left Earth to stop the first prototype of Gestalt technology (akak Monstructor) to fall into Con hands, leaving Megs and co. on Earth alone.
    -Some people saw the Focus of Cons preview and there, people on the street th thought the Cons were 'giant props' for some action movie. One year after the events like Sixshot blowing up a town and the Ark almost crashing into a city?

Although I like Shane's writings and love character-driven stories, this should have been done out-of continuity. It'll just mess up the existing storyline, like Patyk/Mick messed up the War Within stories with pushing the silly Quintesson origin onto Simon's stories back in DW. And unlike Megatron Origin, this new 12 issues cannot really be thought of as if 'Hunter O'nion dreamt it'...

What bugs me most is that the Cons seen so far only seem to be the ones in Season 1. of the cartoon... meaning that's what Shane has seen and what he bases his characters on. Which will pretty much go against Simon's so far established character personas (Shockwave, Soundwave, Blitzwing) and besides - why are the Constructicons on Earth anyway?

I'm really hoping for this series, but I'm pretty sure that as it'll go on, like Megs Origin, it'll be harder and harder to shoehorn it into regular continuity.

I'm mostly pissed at Chris Ryall for giving a relative newcomer a 12-issue series and not to Furman, who often expressed he'd be able to write more fluent stories if not confined to the 6-issue limits.

17. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Megatron has the same design that he had in Escalation/Devastation. The same arm cannon attachment, same legs, same trigger on his back and lower torso.
    As for the Seekers, that's the subject of debate on the IDW boards right now - but apparently there IS a story-related reason.
    Again, I wonder about this one - it makes me uncertain. However, I also kind of get the impression he's targeting his answers to newcomers to the series who don't know what Ore-13 is.
    Again, it's been a year. A lot can happen in a year, especially if Prime and co. get sidetracked by the Dead Universe/Nova Prime. And I assume that the caption refers to the end of the war on Earth - again, directed towards the newcomers to the series.
    I hope this is properly addressed as well. Considering the 'cons have plants in the US government, it's entirely possible this will be explained.
    I get the impression Simon's staying hands-off on all this - that he's leaving all the pieces to Shane. Simon will likely be focusing on the 8 issues in between Revelations and this story, so I doubt he'll be restrained too much by this.
    Soundwave's bio in the preview fits with his characterization in his Spotlight. I'm wary about the Insecticons myself, but it isn't all Season 1 characters - we have no Reflector trio and we have the Season 2 'bots Blitzwing and Astrotrain in the mix. And I'm sure the Constructicons are there for a good reason - Megs probably needs them to build something for him.
    Again. Since nothing's been announced yet that comes AFTER it, it won't be hard to shoehorn. All it needs to do is explain what happened in the 1 year period at some point and if it does that well, we'll be good. This series is going to be ESTABLISHING continuity, not trying to fit into established continuity.
    I'm wary as well. But the guy's written Batman rather successfully, I understand. So he's got comic book experience, unlike Eric Holmes had (not to mention Batman experience to boot- that has to count for something, since they don't let just anyone write Batman).

18. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    *DROOLS* at the thought of a 12-issue Furman series. His last 12-issue series is still among my favorite TF stories.

-airfox

19. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Gotta say that I was excited about this series, but after reading this interview I have a lot of doubts. BB Shockwave pretty much said it best, but this guy seems to be implying that most of the groundwork that Furman laid down for future storylines will be ignored.

20. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

Why all the negativity, people?

Oh, yeah. Forgot I was talking to Transfans.