Interview with Sam Register, Executive Producer of New Transformers Animated Series

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by VaterKrieg, Jul 3, 2007.

1. VaterKrieg

VaterKrieg Super Awesome Professor

Ebay:
    http://tv.ign.com/articles/801/801348p1.html

Still reading it, thought I would give others a heads up.

EDIT: Probably the most interesting tidbit: show will premire around when the live action movie comes out on DVD

Show to take place in near future, Detroit (I am waiting for the Robocop jokes to start)

Took into consideration the toys. I personally see there being a hard time trying to make these figures look at all similar to the cartoon all the while being able to transform in reality.

2. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, they showed the toys at BotCon and they were pretty badass and show accurate.

3. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Are they the same style of the movie toys?

4. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Dam Botcon... shows pics... no pics here.. grumble grumle...

LOL

Not overly interested in the cartoon but I'm definatly interested in seeing how the cartoon models translate into toy form.

5. Godconvoy

Godconvoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info!

6. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    No, they're in the style of the Animated series, which has a similar art style to Teen Titans.

7. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Isn't that what Transformers is supposed to be? Robots vs. Robots? I mean, that's been the whole formula for EVERY TRANSFORMERS SHOW AIRED. G1, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, RID, Armada, Energon, Cybertron...it was robots against robots, and not one fan complained about the lack of human villains. Sure, G1 had its share of evil humans, but usually it's the Decepticons behind it (except Lord Chumley of course).

So basically, it's gonna be Teen Titans, but with Transformer characters instead. That about sums up everything. And I don't think it's a "cool idea" to have some Flash knockoff battle the Autobots. I wanna see Autobots battling the crap out of some OTHER robots. Hell, at least let them be Decepticon drones.

First off, this show isn't just gonna be for 7-year-old boys. Some veteran TF fans are gonna watch it, and some of us here like me are gonna think this show's gonna suck. Second, I HIGHLY doubt anyone besides voice actors or anyone involved with Transformers that are working on this show are huge Transformers fans. That right there is just utter bullshit. Third, if we're old enough to write posts on Transformers message boards, it doesn't mean we're TOO OLD for this show. Hell, some of us here aren't any older than the target audience for this show. I will give this show a chance, but I still hate the designs.

That better mean that the Autobots and Decepticons arrive on Earth in the Ark and Nemesis, respectively. Not just WARP there like the last three shows did (come on, Unicron Trilogy, you gave the Minicons a damn ship to escape to freaking Earth, why not the Autobots and Decepticons?).

Well, that's good news. I just hope the main reason the Decepticons come to Earth is because of new energy there, like what happened in G1.

$20 says it's the same guy who made the Cybertron theme song. Blech. *vomits*

Nope. Register here is going in the WRONG direction with this show, IMO.

8. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    They didn't allow any pictures to be taken. Sorry. Should have went to R.I.

9. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:

Actually, if the Executive Producer of the show say the target audience is 7 year olds, then that's what it is. Just because you're older, and watch it, doesn't change the intended target.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'm just interested to see this all come together. I may buy some of the toys like Prime, Megs and Blitzwing, but I'll probobly never watch the show in whole.

I just want to see how it all connects.

11. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    I hear ya. I'm not a big fan of the animation style, but if the story's good, i'll watch. I'm mostly after the toys, which sound like they're going to be fun.

12. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I dunno know...

I am still on the fence with the new tv series. I really don't like what we saw lately but I will give it a chance and pass judgement after teh first episode. But still I think the designs are way too teen-titans style.

13. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also, the Decepticons WILL be behind some of the humans getting powers... They want to make the Decepticons more menacing, so when they do show up, it's "Holy shit!".

We also got to see pictures of the Ark AND the Nemesis. And the Nemesis is freaking HUGE compared to the Ark...

I was really apprehensive about it at first too, but after seeing the show actually playing and seeing the toys, I'm so in.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    heh heh heh. That about sums it up.

15. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    To sum up this post for the tl;dr crowd, he basically says "I know this show is for kids, but I'm going to watch it so I can complain about it."

16. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

After seeing the Animation at Botcon and the toys, I can safely say this;

The toys are -crazy- awesome. They Transform from boxy cars and bikes in to the animation styled robots. It's really something to behold.

As for the animation, I can't really say much about it from how the story goes or the writing, but the quality of the animation is probably the best we've seen since the Animated movie and a couple of scenes from the latter parts of Armada. Please don't tell me Beast Wars had good animation, it didn't. If you liked it, great, but it did not have good animation.

The whole tone has changed, it's more like a Superhero show along the lines of Teen Titans and Justice League, it's a new direction for Transformers, and after the movie, it really needs it. We've had 20+ years of Autobots vs. Decepticons and that really has to put you in a creative rut when you're thinking about recycling the same settings, premise and characters over and over again.

Personally I'm really looking forward to it. The fandom has been crying out for quality writing and animation for years now, well... here it is. I'm waiting to be won over and I'm not going to put up a lot of resistance, the toys are simply too badass to be put off if the show sucks balls. Which I don't think it will.

17. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    LOL! Pretty much.

18. Shotoman

Shotoman Well-Known Member

The Ark AND Nemisis!? Cooooool!

And I kinda like the idea of Transformers against human supervillains, so long as the 'Cons are behind 'em. I LIKE that the 'Cons are only gonna show up every now and again, because like the guy said it means the get beaten less and seem more of a threat. Beast Wars is probably the only same-badguy-almost-every-episode show where the badguys don't seem like total wusses, and that's because the Preds won, like, once a season.

Apart from that, say what you will about the style, but the Bruce Timm/Glenn Murkami influence generally means good animation. Like the movie, if you've made up your mind to hate the designs, the good animation won't change your mind, but if you choose to be open minded, I'm betting, based on previous experience from these guys, that you'll be in for a treat. (Yes, that is basically paraphrased from Ben Yee's Movie review, but, hey, he's right. And when you're right, you're right, he says with a shrug...)

And the idea of, well, any of us being too old for the show...? Well, we kinda are. I mean, if we like it, great! If not, we're not the target audience anyway. I mean, this show is only going to put off a certain percentage of an group that only makes up a small percentage of the overall audience/consumers. So, really, if I was in charge, I'd think the same way.

19. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Well, there goes the last bit of hope I had for the toys to look good.

20. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Well one of the things I like about supervillains on this show is that scale won't be forgotten. When you have robot on robot combat you forget just how big they really are compared to the environment. But when a 30 ft robot is chasing a acid spiting monster man then you get the kids to think both: "this is a great super hero show" and "wow that's a really gigantic robot."

Also we know from a earlier article that the decepticons are influenceing the human super villains. So no problems.

The animation style should work ok in my book so long as the toys look good on the shelf with my other stuff then I'm on board. Seeing as blitzwing is supposed to fit in with classics then I have high hopes it will work out.