Customs: Interview with Frenzy Rumble by TF.SG!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by doubleclouderr, Mar 22, 2009.

1. doubleclouderr

doubleclouderr ROTF, hell yea!

Hey Guys of TFW!

Not sure if this is the right place, as I see alot of amazing customs and their thumbnails. But if this thread is not relevant here, do feel free to move it to some place k!

Anyway, we have managed to get an exclusive interview with the great and amazing Frenzy Rumble!

In this interview, we get upclose and personal with him, and he has shared a couple of things about himself.

Definitely worth a read. This is front paged at:
    TF.SG, the fan site! Uniting Transformers Fans in Singapore and the region! - Home

The interview is archived at this location:
    TF.SG, the fan site! Uniting Transformers Fans in Singapore and the region! - TF.SG Interview #4 - Frenzy Rumble

Enjoy! :) 

2. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Yeah!!!!!!!! Congratz FR!

3. doubleclouderr

doubleclouderr ROTF, hell yea!

its really an informative article..

we are really honoured to have FR answering our questions!

hope everyone like it! :) 

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

That was a great interview. Awesome to read about someone who influenced why I'm doing all this now.

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I have to say I'm surprised that you didn't even mention how the community (ptivite most notably of course) taught you how to make your first combiner (devastator). The interview reads like you went through trial-and-error and did it all yourself.

6. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

harsh but i can't disagree, a rich man makes his own wealth, a wealthy man amasses greater wealth by sharing it. my adaptation of a fortune cookie i got someplace.

7. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

Yep, great interview! Wish it had been longer...
    As for thanking the community and all that, let's not get into another argument over who influences who etc etc etc...please? We can't always be thanking everyone and giving credit every time we show a new custom or talk to someone...
    It's a community, we cooperate and share ideas and have fun. Let's avoid hurt feelings, bruised egos and squabbles!

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I see where you're coming from, but the interview wasn't specifically about Devastator at all. I feel like I've said this before, but Ptitvite's Devy inspired mine, however every connection and the technique to put him together was unique in my own way. I did waste/learn from many parts and figures, until I got my formula working. I wasted hundreds of dollars in wrong parts/figures and countless hours, seems too many people think Ptitvite walked me through the entire process, while he really didn't. I think it's also safe to say all of us were inspired in some form by another artist. Always thought that all goes without saying.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  9. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Very cool

10. Makxsh1mum

Makxsh1mum Well-Known Member

Nice interview. Look forward to seeing more pics from new projects.

11. daelite20

daelite20 autobots

News Credits:
    good interview....frenzy_rumble..

12. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

Congrats F-R!

13. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I don't think it's just safe to say, I consider it a fact. I don't believe there is truly such a thing as "original art."

No matter how unique an artist's piece of work may be, that artist has either been influenced and/or inspired by work that someone before themselves have done. There will always be a touch of someone else's art in your own. It's just how it is.

14. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

That was a great read. Hopefully, other TFW customizers will get the opportunity to be interviewed by TF.SG as well.

15. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I suggested this interview awhile back on TF.sg in one of my postings over there. didn't realised the mods & admins there were thinking the same thing.

Nevertheless great interview, finally get know more abt the "origins" of this talented customiser himself. :) 

16. TheDevastator

TheDevastator Decepticon

Congrats on the interview. I just have a few things to add to what the others were saying and then I'll have my peace.

It is true that every artist is inspired by another, but you were more than just inspired. Ptitvite taught you the details of how he did his Devastator. That's not something he offered anyone else. Even though you may not have used those ideas or changed them to better suit what you had in mind, you still tried to make your Devastator look like Ptitvite's. Granted, you changed a few details, but Ptitvite more than inspired you, he worked directly with you. THAT is why people keep getting upset that you fail to mention him in your interviews.

17. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Not at all, THAT is where people and comments like this are wrong.

I think I need to clarify this to help end this confusion, as I don't know where you got this info, and why it's even being discussed (what looks like) in private. I might have exchanged a handful of emails with Ptitvite during construction, merely asking questions such as "what figure is that" or "Where is that part from"...basic stuff. My knowledge for TFs was much more limited back then. Anyone can plainly see the parts/connectons/basic construction between Pt's Devy and mine are miles different than one another. Never did he provide any type of "step-by-step" help for me, nor share any secrets. He thankfully just gave me some pointers as to what cement trucks to use (which I didn't even end up using) and parts he was having success with. The only thing similar between our Devastator is the figures used. He helped with basic pointers like : to be cautious of weight issues. At this point, his Devastator had many WIP pics on many different boards. One with a handful more knowledge of TFs would be able to get the same amount (or more) help by looking at those pics.

This interview isn't only about just Devastator, gimme more credit than that man. It's funny yet disappointing how people still continue to (try) and burn me at the stake because I took Devastator into the right direction, and the auction did well. I took a good idea and successfully took it to the level it belonged. When I worked on mine, it was never aimed for ebay, I was just starting out, however - I would get offers and interest on it, so decided to let those with interest duke it out on ebay. I wonder how much shit I'd get if Devastator only fetched a few hundred bucks.

The countless variants following never get ridicule. It's funny how things are measured right or wrong by the amount of money tagged to them. Maybe next time I should site every inspiration and mention every person who sparked every idea to make the interview more appealing to other kitbashers so everyone can be happy for me. I guess one day once every TFs been done, we'll all have to site the original or get rocks thrown at us.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

It was inevitable that an interview highlighting F_R's achievements would turn into an argument over "intellectual properties" and artistic credit. Jesus Christ, it's like we all want a piece of the pie or something. Can we please stay on topic?

19. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

Poor Mikey, when things like this happen, give me a heads up.
    What you said is true (well most of it!*)
    F-R PM'd me about 10 times a day asking for Qs...Drove me mad cause most of the information was in the thread.
    He said he wanted to make a Dev for himself so I tried my best to tell him what connectors to use, what bots and how it was holding together.
    He decided to use the NeoShifter joints... I was using Lego Knights.
    I was using bots for the knees, he was using Unicron's original knees.
    My Devastator is G1 cartoon/toy. His is live Movie style.
    Of course, when F-R decided to sell his dev, I also decided to ignore any incoming messages requesting help... I was getting dozens of requests of people that had near to zero posts on the forum..

*I'm just not sure about the "successfully took it to the level it belonged" :p 

20. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    See, I should have just read your posts better and never gave you credit ;)  just kidding. In all honesty what I meant with the "level it belonged" was wildly advertised and promoted. I have a knack for marketing, spent many years working in sales type industry where more page hits = bigger paycheck (secret)