Interview with Corey Burton

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Soundwave84, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
  2. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    interesting, thanks for the re-posting.

3. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Soundwave, I certainly appreciate the heads-up on this interview since I've known Corey for over a decade now. He's one of the nicest, friendliest people I've ever met in the industry and I can't say enough good things about him, his incredible talent, or his fantastic body of work.

But I would like to ask that a mod please edit Soundwave's post so it's just a link. This interview is seibertron's exclusive, and you can't just copy/paste the entire interview on another site. Seibertron may be a fansite just like TFW, but they still have rights on their own original content just like TFW does.

4. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Yeah - great interview.

Though I agree with Voiceroy that you shouldn't have copied and pasted the whole thing. Maybe a brief excerpt, but the interview is Seibertron's exclusive and should be recognised as such.

I loved the origin of Shockwave in Transformers Animated though - very humorous.

And a note to the guys who plan TFCon - though it sounds like he's very busy, Corey Burton would be an AWESOME catch.

5. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    oh sorry good point didn't even think about that if a mod could fix it i would really appreciate it.

6. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Corey Burton fucking kicks ass.

7. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    ...how is this General Discussion exactly?

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Very cool interview. Thanks for posting this.

9. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Goddamn that was a great interview. So glad to see Burton up there with Cullen & Welker on the respect-o-meter and finally shining in his own light.

The explanation of how Shockwave even came to be apart of Animated is pure gold! Hopefully he'll catch the same luck if he ever remembers out loud and within ear shot of the writers how cool it would be to reprise Brawn again... who happens to be my second all-time favorite voice in G1 just after Shockwave. Yeah I know, it's unlikely... but I can hope.

10. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Great interview, its cool to hear about his experiences doing G1 aswell as Animated.

11. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Nicely put, that man. :D 

Where else would you put it?

12. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

LOL at the irony of stuff being stolen from Seibertron instead of by Seibertron.

Burton certainly has a knack for the written word. I'd definately like to read the man's autobiography if he should ever find the time to write it. He definately seemed like he had a lot of fun with that interview and many of his observations about the state of the voice acting industry in general were very enlightening. He's certainly not a man who sugarcoats what he thinks.

I think my favorite part of the interview was his description of how he came up with Shockwave's voice. I'm a huge David Warner fan, but I'm ashamed to say that I never noticed the similarity to his voice until Burton mentioned it.

Anyhow, Burton is phenominal. As much as I enjoy his work in Transformers, though, I still think his most impressive role is Ludwig von Drake. Just listen to that guy, all the nuances and accentual details. Amazing.

13. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Sadly true. That's a primary reason I avoid them: lack of journalistic integrity. Even fansites should practice professional courtesy if they want to be taken seriously.

I've brought the autobiography thing up with him a a few times, always encouraging him to at least consider doing one some day. He has so many great stories about people he's worked with, and a massive amount of advice to offer not just on the VO biz but the entertainment industry in general.

But he really does enjoy his anonymity and his quiet life outside of Burbank with his pets and his collection of vintage vinyl records and the other stuff he collects.

And he's never said as much, but I wonder if his somewhat reclusive nature is the core reason why he choses not to do a book. Doing a book would mean doing appearances and signings, and you have to understand that's just not something he wants to do at all.

I do hope he does a book one day, just so other people and his fans can know the gentle, friendly, charitable, generous soul that I've come to know in him over the years.

In the meantime, I would encourage you to browse the forum posts on his website--full of advice and stories of people he's worked with. And he always replies without fail to any sensible question he's asked there.

When I first asked him about it years ago, he told me that I was the one of the first fans who'd picked up on it. I've brought it up in TF trivia threads ever since, like this one:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showpost.php?p=1731066&postcount=61

Paul Frees actually originated that role and voiced the character up until his death in 1986.

But Corey had done other voice matches for Paul Frees' characters for Disney (Captain Hook, namely), so when von Drake was slated to appear in an ep of Disney's "DuckTales" a couple years later Corey was probably their first and only choice. And he's been voicing von Drake ever since.

Of all Corey's vast body of work, my favorite character he's done was in a recurring segment called "How Things Work (With Mr. Werks)" that aired on Disney's One Saturday Morning. They were little short cartoons spoofing the 80's educational series "Mr. Wizard's World" that attempted to explain scientific stuff--they would go from simple to ridiculous in about 30 seconds. Corey was at his all-time comedic best in those. I wish someone would post them on youtube. I tried finding them with no luck.

I normally don't plug stuff I'm connected with in forums, but I do have a couple pictures on my "Voice Actor Apprecation Group" that I took with Corey when we met up for dinner in LA back in 2003. (You gotta be a member to view the pics though. Sorry.) See my sig for the link.

14. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Oh yeah, I knew Frees originated the voice, but the fact that Burton could copy it so flawlessly has always impressed me. The character's accent and nuances and manic pace have always just come across to me as sounding incredibly hard to immitate. And Burton always does such a good job. Ludwig von Drake is one of those Disney characters I just like listening to because his voice is so much fun.

To go off on a tangent, if there's one thing I've always loved about Disney is that they're very consistent with their voices. If they can't get the same person back to do a voice then they'll go for as good a sound-a-like as they can manage.

I think the only major hiccup they had for casting a recognizable Disney character was Daisy Duck during the 90s. First they got Kath Soucie for Quack Pack, who sounded like too much of a bitch. Then they eventually settled on Tress MacNeille for Mickey Mouse Works, which was a much better choice IMO, as she balances Daisy's personality much more faithfully.

15. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Was this necessary? As one who works on the news at Seibertron, I'm curious why you say we lack "journalistic integrity". To my knowledge, we credit our stories to where they originate from. If TFW happens to get an exclusive item, such as leaked official images, we credit them just the same. 9.5 times out of 10 though, TFW gets the things they post, just like us, from somewhere else. Whether it be Actoys, TFClub, Ebay, Transformers Movie Blog or elsewhere, the majority of posted content on both our sites comes from other websites than our own.

To me, there just seems to be a prevalent attitude of "We're better than them" that people look for ways to put down the competition as inferior, when in reality, we both do the samething. If someone wants to site an example of a journalistic screw up, I'd be glad to look it over and fix it. I doubt that will happen, since in the past when screw ups occured, staff from other sites have been vocal about it. We have been vocal in other sites screw ups aswell. To my knowledge, there haven't been any grievances between Seibertron, TFW, or Tformers in over two years. So by all means, prove me wrong.