Interview with Andy Schmidt

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by JazzSanti86, Nov 24, 2009.

1. JazzSanti86

JazzSanti86 Rockin Out! Latino Style!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  2. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Hmm. Good read. Seems like a nice guy, along with pretty much everybody there. But, still... ugh!

I can understand what he's saying about continuity issues coming up during the actual creation process. And he's right, there really have been relatively few continuity clitches thus far. Mostly during the transition between the -Ations and AHM. Still frustrating, but, eh, ultimately understandable I guess.

However, still no explanation for WTF was up with CONTINUUM! All the stuff was already written and the cration process was finished! What's with the clusterf*** of problems it contains!?

3. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you will find your answer in this interview made by TFormers:

TFormers Talks Transformers with IDW's Andy Schmidt Transformers

But i don't think, that you will be happy with it...;P

4. Boo

Ebay:
    Yeah, I just now saw that. And now I'm just done with IDW. That interview was the straw that broke this frustrated fan's back.

5. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

May I ask for clarification on that issue? I didn't seem to feel anything particualrly offensive or frustrating in that interview.

6. Boo

Ebay:
    Umm. The whole thing about him purposely combining and changing things in past continuity in the Continuum book. ANd even more for his reasoning behind the changes...

7. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Really? That isn't what I saw, I saw clear and concise reasons for why he chose to write it the way he did, he flat out says he didn't write it that way intentionally changing anything in the continuity. He simply made decisions to simplify the stories so that kids could understand it.

Personally I think he could have made a few alternate choices that could have done just as well, in a sense he's admitting to dumbing it down fo children, I mean I'm pretty sure the average Transformers loving kid, around 6-8 is going to be able to figure out that The Machination and Skywatch are two seperate entities. :eyeroll

8. Boo

Ebay:
    Except he's not 'simplifying' things. He's completely changing them, despite giving lip service saying nothing is different! Skywatch and the Machination were completely separate entities, and were in fact on complete opposite sides of the fight. This pretty much nullifies a big chunk of Maximum Dinobots, as it was all about Skywatch being infiltrated and manipulated by the Machination. Now that they are the same entity, Max Dinos doesn't even make sense and is even more confusing.

THen the whole thing about Megatron being a slave... really? Does he really think children (especially in this day and age) don't understand the concept of mommy or daddy losing a job and being angry? I mean, that's essentially what happened.

It was a hack job, plain and simple. It was bad if it was accidental, it was bad if it was intentional. He may be a nice guy, yeah, but he's finally succeeded in driving me away.

9. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    It's like saying Autobots and Decepticons are too complicated, lets just call em all Autobots.

Machination and Skywatch are NOT the same group.

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yeah, I like some of the things he says, like they're support of different artists' interpretations of the characters and such, but then there's things that I hate like this:

Isn't Continuum labeled as the "Definitive Chronology"?
    Don't the words "slave" and "laborer" have different meanings?

So, the non-intellectual fourth grader that Andy Schmidt is making this "change" for is going to read Continuum and think that the Autobots had Megatron and his future Decepticons enslaved? It wasn't that Megatron was, perhaps, oppressed and went crazy?
    Wouldn't the fact that the Autobots kept slaves make them the bad guys?
    Are they not two completely different stories?

I would like to add this and the Skywatch\Machination business to the list of mistakes that I have to ignore -but that is a long list.

I'll be getting this in trade form -maybe.

11. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I understand the reasoning behind changing little things for such a book to quickly get new readers up to speed..but I wonder why he made some pretty drastic changes?..

12. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    One bad book isn't enough to drive me away. I don't particularly care about the behind the scene decision making, it's the product that will either keep me as a customer or convince me to drop the book. If a few issues or more end up with mangled continuity or character issues, then yeah, I might walk. But not over one book, no.

Agreed on all counts. Again, it's one book. Does it really nullify any enjoyment of all other Transformers fiction from IDW?

13. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I'd suggest that if that is the editors veiw of things it certenly doesn't look good for the quality of the on going, its not the reason I'm quitting but I can see why it would make a lot of people go "if thats there attitude why should I bother reading"

14. Boo

Ebay:
    Yeah, except it's been a long while since I've liked the direction IDW is going. So, like I said, this isn't a one'off this is the straw that broke my back as an IDW-Transformers collector/reader.

15. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I didn't like that interview. I've done a number of interviews in my day (from Dreamwave to Voice Actors to Hasbro) and that interview had one major problem with it - an almost intolerable sense of fan-gushing from the interviewee. I mean, there's taking an interview and "warping it" so that it sounds like it's a transcript, and then there's going over-the-top and creating something that just screams goofy.

*wink*

Ugh. No offense, just my own personal opinion. I didn't even read the answers Andy gave because I cringed at the way questions were asked by First Gen.