Interview - ILM on Transformers Effects at IGN.com

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by ams, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Um.....they're animators, OF COURSE THEY CHEATED! They wouldn't be very good animators if they didn't 'cheat'. Cheating is part of the game of being an animator.
    The guy even said it in the interview.

'QUESTION: Do you ever cut corners in terms of the stuff that people aren't looking directly at? Do you use camera tricks to dissuade people from looking at certain effects?

FARRAR: Absolutely. Cheating, slight-of-hand, tom-follery, whatever…Once again, Michael has a very sophisticated eye; he's a very talented cameraman, as well. And every time you frame a shot, you have to ask yourself where the eye will go within the frame. Composition, lighting - it's not unlike a Rembrandt…Color, density, depth of field; like a photograph, you try to get the eye to look at the proper place within the frame. With that said, however, there's no reason not to go in and polish the rest.'

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

At one point Hollywood seemed to be pretty good at finding a balance between the needs of the brand spanking new fan and the old estabished fans. But lately it seems like almost everything is about the new fan and the heck with the people that helped something remain pop culture enough to be movie worthy in the first.

I'm not just blaming Transformers because it seems far too many films are getting to be new folks only and old fans can shove off. Spiderman got less and less wise cracking as those films went on with each film having more Spidey unmasked time or the must kill the villain each movie idea instead of the comic book friendly bad guy gets away to return another day. X-Men 3 couldn't take one minute to explain Juggie is not a mutant, because after 2 movies of people with amazing powers Joe Six Pack is not going to accept the concept of magic.

I don't think any sane person is saying the movie should only be for us and let's exclude all the new people, but it would be nice to have a better balance between old fan and new fan than just we put in some easter eggs and in-jokes so you old geeks should be happy with the bone we threw to you.

3. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Was this in one of the deleted scenes? Because the Nokiabot I remember was pretty damn small. If you want to argue about the Nokiabot, then you'd have a much better time demanding to know how a cellphone could possibly have the parts to make a chaingun or a missile launcher. But no, people have to keep grasping at straws and claiming that the movie was loaded with mass-shifting, apparently by a different definition than the rest of the TF world uses. Find me a scene in the movie where Frenzy turns into a robot the size of a house, and THEN you can start bitching about the "rampant mass-shifting".

You are a very confused fellow. The people "defending" the cheating are the ones who know that DAMN NEAR EVERY ANIMATION STUDIO USES CHEATS. There is no bushido code that states that animation cheats are dishonorable, so quit feigning outrage.

4. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I couldn't agree more, this was one of my only complaints with the film. During my third viewing of the movie, the girl I was with said "when did Jazz die?" She didn't even realize he was ripped in half! My point is he had such little screen time the average person who knows nothing about T-formers isn't impacted at the death of an autobot, I feel he should've had more screen time so the public would feel as I did when he was ripped, it felt pretty crappy.

Oh and the lips, I took it as Prime wouldn't be able to show emotion, well they dropped the ball there. V for Vendetta as well as every damn Star Wars movie has characters with full masks and no moving parts, and we like them the most. When Vader is dying in ROTJ you can feel the emotion there and guess what his mask didn't have lips, or any moving expressions at all! I did get over the lips but in a way I am like most everyone a little confused. One more thing If Soundwave has lips I will not be ok.

5. Ash from Carolina

Nokiabot was tiny, if anything it seemed smaller in bot mode than phone mode. Although it's also sad that Nokiabot showed more character than several of the Decepticons.

So maybe they are talking about how Frenzy gets his head cut off and he becomes phone bot. After Frenzy touches the All Spark though we go from tiny cell phone Frenzy back to a full size Frenzy that fights the human at the dam, with no scene to show how he ended up with a full body again.

6. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Damn dudes. This movie rocked. Everybody needs to chill out.

7. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Except for the scene right before that of the Allspark regenerating his body.

8. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    Well said.

9. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

Since when is that an objective statement?

Do you know this thing called subjectivity? Because you're using it.

It sucked ass. IMO. It didn't from your pov. This is a discussion forum where people post THEIR OPINIONS. It was exactly what I predicted and expected and exactly why I knew it'd suck for me.

'Chill out' about other people expressing their concerns and critique about the movie already and stop trying to induce censoring of opinions that aren't yours. ie. if people want to get agitated about a movie you liked. LET THEM. What is it to you?

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We get that you didn't like the movie... but it just made a bazillion dollars and secured the future of Transformers for the next 10+ years. That's good news to me, no matter how you look at it.

You seem to have a lot of anger toward those that enjoyed the movie... can you talk more about why that's the case? Not liking the movie is fine... but categorizing those who DID as being "stupid" not only negates any valid argument you may have had, but it means people will have a tendancy to respond very aggressively when you post.

As far as the topic at hand, I'll just quote myself from your thread on why you didn't like the movie.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=151960

11. Quintesson #1

You should read his post again.

READ WHO HE CALLS STUPID. You say he calls people that enjoyed the movie stupid. That's absolutely not the case.

He's in fact ONLY calling those that say the movie wouldn't cheat stupid, as they bought Bay's claim it wouldn't cheat while they clearly did (and OF COURSE they did, they even did it way more than would be needed, for example when changing complete altmodes, it was a mass orgy of morphing parts, take Frenzy, Prime and Bumblebee who 'transmorphed' in 2 seconds for example).

Is something entirely different, particularly in context, than the stuff YOU bolded:

And it's even more different from:

Reading comprehension ftw. Work on it. You also might want to stop putting words into people's mouths.

12. Quintesson #1

Btw, the above is a prime example of how a lot of forum people post ignorantly about what other people mean.

Being ignorant about an opinion of someone else means you read something fast, didn't understand what that person meant, drew conclusions that are completely false and then create an ignorant post in response.

The above also doesn't mean you're a complete ignorant person. Ignorance can be applied to very selective things. But somehow, most people who are being called ignorant on a matter somehow translate this through the same procedure to mean they're being called ignorant in general.

Ironically showing how ignorant they are with respect to reading someone elses post and in comprehending that person's point. :/

13. fastballspecial

fastballspecial Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This guy pwned this thread. You rule, man. :rock 

14. fastballspecial

fastballspecial Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:

While reading that, I said 'ignorant' to myself so many times it doesn't even sound like a word anymore.

ignorant. ignorant. ignorant. ignorant. ignorant. ignorant. ignorant. ignorant. ignorant. ignorant.

see?

15. Quintesson #1

Woot.

+1 as well.

16. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

I didn't notice when I read the article yesterday, but there's a link at the bottom to a gallery which includes some snazzy new stills from the film: A close-up of Megatron, the first full body shot of Bumblebee in the movie, and a great close-up of Prime from right after his fight with Bonecrusher. Gorgeous stuff, can't wait for the HD DVD release two weeks from now :p 

17. PunkyBrew

PunkyBrew Active Member

When Vader is dying Luke takes his helmet off, so yes lips, yes eyes, yes burned up bald head.

I guess alot of people just don't understand visual storytelling or how to connect with a large audience anymore.

It's why you guys ain't movie makers.

But this thread has gone from almost interesting conversation to the 6th pit of hell. All because of you haters, stand up and take a bow for being a bunch of whiney 10 year old bitches.

For the record V was a steaming pile, read the graphic novel.

18. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, that's a very passive aggressive response. First, I DID read the post thoroughly, completely comprehended it, and in context with other posts by that board member (and yourself), I personally sense a underlying hostility toward those who express enjoyment of the movie, and I'd like to know why. You've made my point by choosing to attack me personally in your responses. I'm not mad, I'm trying to understand your perspective, which is why I will continue to be polite in spite of your decision not to be. Again, I'd like to understand why those who do not like the movie feel so strongly about it that they choose to rail on those who enjoyed themselves.

On a side note, part of my job is writing test questions for copy writer and instructional design candidates, so suggesting I can't comprehend a post on an internet message board about the Transformers movie is somewhat flawed. You do, however, remain entitled to your view.

19. Ash from Carolina

Oh good whatever you worship are we ever EVER EVER going to get past name calling back forth.

Instead of I liked the film for the following reasons or I disliked the film for the following reason it seems like far too much Transformers talk falls into this insane mess of someone is defective for liking the movie or someone is defective for disliking the movie.

20. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I'll snip your post here because I have my own version of a "simple answer" that doesn't involve hurling insults. They wanted us to believe the Decepticons were evil monsters and didn't want us to connect with them.

I'll leave this whole thing here because I agree 100%. However, it's easy to understand how we came to this point. At some point the folks in Hollyweird realized that the hardcore will spend the money on it regardless of whether they make the movie really fit the long-term property or not. It's the newbs that matter, because that's always going to be the larger audience. Especially when you're talking about comic book or cartoon to live-action. Go for the guys who don't give a crap about it right now. The ones who do will show up anyway.

I really think the war of words over the cheating thing got blown way out of proportion at some point in time, and have no idea how or why. Bay made a statement early on that he didn't want any mass-shifting or cheating. He's not the animation person, he doesn't fully understand how it all works. There was "cheating," as there had to be. Some group latched onto the no-cheating mantra, some other group decided to beat them over the head with the fact that there was, and here we are, using another nit to pick at each other with.

Will there ever be a time when we can have a rational discussion of the movie where we can discuss the good and the bad without degenerating into a bunch of pre-schoolers that all need to have their diaper changed? I'm truly beginning to doubt it.

Both the full-fledged lovers and the full-fledged haters disturb me enough I'm afraid to post my real thoughts on either side of the line. I liked it more than I disliked it, and saying more than that seems like stepping into a minefield.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.