Interview - ILM on Transformers Effects at IGN.com

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by ams, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IGN.com has posted the following interview, including a couple of work-in-progress pics of Prime and Scorponok:
    http://dvd.ign.com/articles/825/825256p1.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I disagree, the one scene where Prime talked with the mouth plate in place totally worked, they could have just left it up all the time.

3. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Funny, I remember a lot of fanboys were saying there was absolutely no cheating in the movie. :D 

4. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've always had a problem with the "This way/that way isn't real enough, audiences wouldn't relate" method of thought. Say they DID just leave Prime with a mouth plate that moved up and down. I sincerely believe that If people went to the movie knowing it's about sentient, talking robots from outer space that can change their form into anything they want and the one thing that pulls them out of the experience, thinking "wow this is so unrealistic!" is one robot not having a fucking mouth, then something is wrong with them.

It's fantasy, science fiction. Why the need to restrict it to "believability"? I just don't get how this or that thing, like mass shifting, or whatever, would be too far into the unrealistic field when the whole concept itself is already soooooooo far out. It's fantasy, science fiction. There shouldn't be any stupid restrictions.

"Once again, Michael has a very sophisticated eye; he's a very talented cameraman, as well. And every time you frame a shot, you have to ask yourself where the eye will go within the frame. Composition, lighting - it's not unlike a Rembrandt…Color, density, depth of field; like a photograph, you try to get the eye to look at the proper place within the frame."

Looks they really succeeded in that respect given how many people have said they couldn't tell what the hell was going on in most of the action scenes

Haha I come off like a bitchy hater here, but I did like the movie overall, but I'm not without my gripes

Such as -

"It was more a stand-off of Optimus vs. Megatron - which wasn't really impactful"

...yeah. Their fight pissed me off, especially the last part, it was in the back ground. You barely saw them fighting in the corner of the background as the film focused on the humans vs. Black Out, a grunt Decepticon, awesome! Then the "One shall stand" line was delivered....on a close up of Sam! And Sam gets to kill Megatron! Ehhhhh it just feels like they totally didn't give any respect to the actual Transformer characters in that whole sequence to me. That's always been my hugest complaint, from the first time I saw it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  5. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Very insightful interview. Can't wait to see what they've got in store for TF2.

6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "FARRAR: Actually, yes. the motivation of Sam killing Megatraon was not there in the first cut. It was more a stand-off of Optimus vs. Megatron - which wasn't really impactful - so we added the bits with Sam on Megatron's chest and added some additional dialogue…We made it into an act of heroism and bravery and Sam protecting his friend, even though he'd been commanded to do otherwise. Trying to make it a bit more heartfelt."

Wow- possibly the worst decision made, in my opinion. I think it completely had the opposite effect they wanted. I liked the movie a lot, but this particular scene at the end ALMOST made me turn on the movie and just write it off as crap. I came a bit to my senses and "got over it", but that is still probably my least liked thing in the movie- even the hackers didn't downplay a Megatron vs Prime finale like this did.

7. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

I agree with you on the way Megs vs. Prime was handled. i really liked the movie but for them to say that Megatron vs. Prime wouldn't be impactful is like WTF? Megs vs. Prime in the 86 TF movie is STILL "impactful" and very awesome.

Why wouldn't a final brawl between the two leaders of the robot factions be impactful if done in full CGI glory? I think they way they portrayed the final battle with Sam putting the cube in Megs chest felt forced, rushed and very lackluster IMHO.

But other then that gripe this was a cool interview. I like the fact that Michael Bay had a certain vision as to how he wanted the bots to move...like ninja warriors! Awesome. I kept thinking to myself, after Bumblee beat down Barricade and he walked back toward Sam and Mikaela, Bumblebee had this sorta Bruce Lee Strut and he just moved awesomely. From an aesthetic point of view giving the bots ninja/ martial art movement was a hell of an idea and really helped give the bots character, even without having to say one word.

Thanks for posting!

8. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I hope Bay stops putting his camera crew on those coin-operated mechanical bulls for TF 2.

I've always thought Bay, the producers, the writers and ILM should really just... shut up and stop digging a hole for themselves, figuratively. They could have gotten fans angry in a different way (though not lessening anger) if they simply said things are the way they are because they wanted it that way. And in a way, that's fine because they're the ones who are putting time and money into making the film.

Giving an explanation to nerds on the internet , explanations that don't pan out is asking for trouble.

9. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. Even worse is that Farrar didn't even seem to understand the question.

IGN seemed to ask why Prime received lips in the first place, and Farrar explained why he gave Prime those lips. In either case, I'm sure the lips were Michael Bay's decision. Farrar was probably just instructed to give Prime some lips and make it look good. After all, this is just a job to Farrar, and for all we know, Farrar doesn't even know Prime is supposed to have a mouth plate.

His response shouldn't even include, "We showed Michael different mouths"...it should sound something more like, "Michael wanted Prime to have a mouth."

It's kinda like Bryan Singer with those Superman questions. He'd answer a different question that deflects the original one.

And yeah, the one time Prime speaks with the mouth plate looked just fine.

10. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I don't believe they made any comment in regards to leaving the faceplate. The decision was made before it came to them that Prime needed lips. What they were discussing was what TYPE of lips they were giving him.

Personally, that flows both ways for me. I don't see how Prime having a mouth really detracts from the character. Sure, it could have worked with the mouthplate, but making the mouthplate retractable gave Bay and/or production in general what they wanted, and gave one good scene of Prime with the classic look.

I'm in full agreement on the Prime and Megs battle being a colossal let-down though. I kept wondering if it was because of budget, or if it was because they wanted to save that battle for one of the sequels, knowing full well ahead of time the sequel was about as sure a bet as any. Here's to hoping the battle takes place in TF2.

11. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I sure hope BONECRUSHER will be in T2. Doubtful though.

12. Randomus Prime

Randomus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I read in an article that Bay didn't want to cheat the transformations and wanted things "realistic". He didn't want any of the metal to bend or morph and all that and that's why they are so segmented with so many pieces... well, this whole "trying to explain everything" and "give excuses" for why they did the things they did reaffirms they are full of it. Even the human drama wasn't believable, how's that realistic? They cheat the transformations, there it is in print. So who is telling the truth, Bay or the effects people? Whatever.

And Prime should've kicked Megatron's ass. What a let down! Freakin' Sam. The Transformers were a cameo in a teen human movie.

13. briggs

briggs Member

"You gave Optimus lips, which many of the fans objected to. Where did that decision come from?"

I was unaware that most of the fans of Transformers were interviewed and it was determined most of the Transformers fans in the world were against prime having lips. I don't recall being interviewed about this..

14. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

he said MANY not most. and many fans did object

15. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    wow guys it was a great movie and the sequal will be better i think the whole movie was incredible i was a little disappointed by the end battle but overall i enjoyed it and i am sure i will love the sequel if not more the then first and i kinda like prime with lips i mean he has had them in the past few shows!

16. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I'd settle for a nice high quality picture of him like we got of every other robot in the whole movie.

17. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    oooo the sequel has a deep story! thank god.

18. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

You didn't get the memo?

19. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Naa, Bonecrusher blew his chance if you ask me. He went down like a sack of potatos. The Decepticons would have been better off if Little Red Riding Hood was on their team.

20. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The point was that it looked like it was a believable exchange of mass and parts between bot and alt mode. The fact that it was actually cheated isn't the point, it's what the viewer sees and believes.

Very doubtful. Leaving him dead gives an opportunity for new characters, which more importantly means new toys ($$$$).

Personally I'm fine with it. Outside of Prime, all the bots had so little dialogue that I really felt no connection to any of them, especially the Decepticons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.