Internet Fraud Frustration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jourdo, Apr 26, 2007.

1. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm sure most of you are somewhat familiar with the ol' Nigeria cheque scam. If not, it is basically when I (the scammer) over-pay you (the seller) for an item with a fraudulant cheque, and you follow up by giving me back the difference. By the time you have done this, I now have your cash and your bank realizes the funds will not clear and you are out X dollars. That is the scam in a nutshell.

Now, why do I bring this up? We are in the process of moving and have had some items up for sale on various sites to sell items locally. I've received one of these "overpayments" from one person. I verified the cheque was a fraud, and wanted to know what I could do to help bust these these people (who do manage to rip people off... somehow). I contacted phonebusters (a hotline to report these kinds of things) to tell them I had one of these cheques, and wanted to know if they could direct me to someone who could maybe look at catching this guy. Never ever heard back from them. This was about a month ago.

I've gotten an insane amount of emails from similar scammers. For the most part, I've just had some fun with these guys. Stringing them along, seeing how long they will keep talking to me before they realize I'm not falling for it. Then I sign up their emails for all sorts of spammy goodness.

Fast forward to today. FedEx shows up at my door today, with another of these scam cheques from another "buyer". Now, the only one of these guys who has my address was the first one I dealt with. The SAME guy is trying to do the same thing AGAIN, using a different name!?!?! WTF? I emailed him back and basically told him where to go.

The frustration I had, was not with the scammers, but the "watchdogs" who are looking out for the common person here. I wanted to try and help, but never received any advice from them as to how to go about it. Here we are again, the same guy, pulling the same crap. I am hoping the fact he used FedEx makes it somewhat traceable.

What do you do with this kind of thing? Can you go to the police? Just pisses me off that people like this pull this kind of crap, and actually get away with it.

2. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Funny how you play these guys, but it is sad to say that I have seen some people loose a lot of money on these types of scams. From a banks perspective the person who is cashing the cheque (you) is held fully liable for the lost money, thus you get screwed while the "real" Nigerian prince has your money...(by you, I mean the general you)

I would talk to your bank and let them know what is happening. I can't say that bank that I work at would do too much, but there is a big risk to any bank and they would be smart to investigate further.

I think problem lies with the politics of it all...it would be hard to prove an Internet scamer, let alone bring him to Canada to face charges.

I think that the best offense against these people is a good defence...Consumers should not fall for this crap...educate people on the dangers of the Internet, money is never free, if it sounds too good to be true it prob is and your penis will not grown in girth and length...common sense people...

3. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    And every time I hear about $100 wind-up laptops going to Nigeria I cringe a little inside...

4. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dammit. That ex-Nigerian official still hasn't deposited that 50 grand in m account, and I gave him the number 2 months ago. In fact, it seems liek I'm losing mone now, but how could that be?

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A coupla months ago, I was paying a traffic ticket and walked outside and saw my truck being put up on the tow truck. Missed the "No Parking Between X PM And Y PM" sign. Talked the guy into cutting me a break 'cause I was there, and felt the karmic need to give the woman whose car had been towed before mine a ride to the impound yard.

Anyways, she was there for a hearing about check fraud--she'd fallen for one of those scams. She was so obviously just a naive, innocent person who was trying to make a little extra scratch without hurting anybody. But the system treated her like a criminal, and (from what she said) never showed any interest in the actual scammer.

Long story short, no, I don't think there's anything you can do. I don't believe the government is going to go after guys like this, period. But I do believe they'll probably burn the hell out of anyone unlikely enough to fall for it.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
  7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  9. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got scammed by Nigeria.

Thankfully it was only a PSP.

10. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Unfortunately, that means you're no longer the smartest 15 y/o I know.

Still in the top three, though. Your grammar and spelling--impeccable!

11. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :D  I try.

But this was a while ago. There's a thread in the Toyark about it.

12. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

Jourdo, report it to the RCMP

They just had a report on tv about this type of scam. And the RCMp is usually in charge of the investigations for these things

13. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I cant think how many of these idiots tried to get ahold of me no myspace or yahoo. Funny thing, the ones on myspace claim they're from Oklahoma but can't speak a lick of coherent english, I seriously don't know how or why anyone would fall for this, when people start asking for money you know there's something wrong.