Internet Explorer 7; Final release available

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shaun_C, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/about/default.mspx

I didn't even know that there was an upgrade underway.

And I don't know how reliable this is but, I saw on another board that on 11/01 IE 7 will be a required download. And that it will be automaticaly downloaded much like how when Firefox updated that it requires you to d/l the update before you can use the program

And apparantly a vulnerability has already been found

2. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Nah it's not going to be one of those mandatory updates. MS will still support IE 6 for a couple more years at least. I mean 7 is still in beta form and it would be foolish for them to rush a product/update like that.

3. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Definitely will NOT be a mandatory update. At my organization I have software dependent (as many others do) to the IE6 infrastructure and does not support IE7 screwed up settings. One of them is even a Microsoft product. MS CRM 3.0.

So no worries, not mandatory.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Its definatly optional and IE6 is going to stay supported for as long as the OSs that have shipped with it (namely XP, FLP and Server 2003).

5. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Firefox, FTW!

6. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I think my computer does automatic updates. because I woke up one day with my browser looking like IE7.

7. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

I"m using IE 7 RC2 and I like it. The only thing I don't like is that the tools/menu bar keeps fliking on and off when you don't have it automatically set to on, it's really annoying.

8. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

ie7 is actually rather good, it displays HTML to a higher degree of standards compliance. I urge anyone who runs IE over Firefox to upgrade immediately.

Of course, being a web designer, I can't, as I need to see what it looks like in ie6 and 7. This forces me to have two separate machines, as you can't have both installed at once. Whoop.

9. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IE7 is marked as a "high-priority" update so it will be automatically downloaded and/or show up on your update list, depending on how you have your computer configured. According to MS though, it will prompt you for input before it is installed.

I've been using IE7 since beta 1 and while its had its share of issues, the RC and now the final build are great. I think a lot of you Firefox users are going to be coming back to IE. :) 

10. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Eh, I'll still use Firefox. 2.0 is in release 3 now and the finished product should be up soon.

11. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Funny, one of my work mates has been using the IE7 Betas right along and he claims that while the HTML rendering is vastly improved over IE6, the user interface really, REALLY blows compared to Mozilla OR IE6, and he's a big-time Microsoft supporter who only has Mozilla around to test out web development. So for him to say that Mozilla has a better interface is a major condemnation in my eyes.

I'll be looking forward to MS auto-updating my computer and me trying to fight it so I can keep testing for IE6 on my home machine. I don't have a second machine to run Windows on around so I guess I'll just wait for saturation and switch over.

12. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i had IE7 Beta going on when my FF was acting up...a day later (after updating FF), i went back to FF....

i just dont like where the Refresh, Back, Foward, Stop button on IE7 is at now...i like it on my upper left side.

13. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, it uses Microsoft's ribbon interface, the same one used in Office 2007. It is a bit hard to get used to but there is an option to re-enable the drop down menu's again.

14. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've been using both the IE7 and Office '07 Betas for awhile now, and have really gotten use to the new interface. It's pretty handy when you finally learn where everything is located.

15. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Wait... people still use IE? :p 

16. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

The locked-down UI is my only major gripe with IE7.

[​IMG]

That's how I have IE6 set up on one of my machines. (Had to resize the window so it didn't rape your h-scroll.) I know it looks like something from the '90s, but that's how I roll. IE7 chucks that out a window, and won't let me move all my icons and toolbars wherever I please. I know very well why they did it - guarding against malware - but that ability has been a hallmark of well-written Windows apps for over a decade, and having it taken away feels like a step backward.

My ever-informative friends at Microsoft, though, tell me that they have a module in the works that will preserve the IE7 sandbox while restoring UI customizability.

17. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

*hugs firefox*

18. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Which I'm sure will be released as source code through MSDN so that we don't let the riff-raff get ahold of it and screw up their computer by making it usable.

Woops. Too long of a night fixing computer problems I guess.

19. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I used IE7 in Vista and really enjoyed it. I hope its as nice and slick in XP as it is in Vista.

20. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

*pats Firefox*