Internet and English - Quarrels and Quacks.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Haelionis, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Haelionis

Haelionis The New New Zealander.

Hi my name is Alex, I currently live in New Zealand, I'm born here and bred here, I am of Chinese descent, don't mistake me, I speak perfect English, I'm only 14, but don't think I'm stupid, rap and hip hop is my choice of music and yeah :X

--

This topic is indeed about English.

Being born and bred in New Zealand has set in a list of words that should be spelt a certain way, of course New Zealand used to be a colony of the United Kingdom, we are now independent, with our own culture, government, traditions, and of course dialect of English.

I fully back anything British, call me an Anglophile, but I don't really care, I'm sure you've all heard of British English and American English?

Well, I don't like how American English is quickly taking over the world, through the internet, it is fuelling the foreign people with what I consider incorrect English, British English is barely making a dent, even the British are converting!

The American English is simplified, you Americans spell what should be colour, color
    and what should be centre, center, frankly it doesn't look too correct to me

I do recognise other people's point of view. But hell, what can I say? The world is becoming Americanised.

Through the internet people in New Zealand are starting to spell American, let me remind everyone, we are not American, for the last 150 years, New Zealand has been spelling British, but I guess every country is becoming Americanised, especially in high density areas like Japan and China.

So what do you guys think eh?

2. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Those kinds of things don't look right to you because you are used to the British- English spelling of those words. Most Americans believe that that particular spelling looks odd because they are only used to American- English spelling. It is merely ethnocentrism which is not entirely unavoidable in many cases.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Not all of us.
    And welcome to the boards. :) 

4. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There used to be outrage about Sesame Street showing in Australia because it taught all the kiddies the incorrect pronunciations of words and letters. The biggest culprit these days is people having their spell-checkers still defaulted to American English.

5. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    I stick to British English only because I'm used to it, but even then I still get confused at times.

Doesn't really matter to me.

An another note, you're rather articulate for someone your age. :) 

Welcome to the boards.

6. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

It was a well written post, but you seem very upset about this. I'm American, but I do feel that British English is correct. However, you'd better learn to accept that all versions of English will converge into one. This has happened in many countries will the spread of television and now the Internet.

Italy used to have many different dialects in the different regions that were commonly spoken. Now there is basically one Italian language even though the different dialects are still spoken by the older people.

Frankly, I think this is probably a good thing in some ways. Fewer languages means that people will be able to more clearly communicate with each other. This will help the people of Earth to understand each other better and hopefully avoid conflict and war.

7. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    English is not my native language but I prefer British/English spelling since there are some grammar rules that are easier to adapt to from a foreign language.
    The Americanisation of language is happening everywhere. In danish we have (had) perfectly sensible terms, but now everything has to be foreign language to be more "exclusive/important", eventhough it's ridiculous in my opinion.

8. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

when coding html i often use the british spelling of 'colour' and i spend ages wondering why the text is still in black. damn it!

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Someday in the far-flung future, we will all speak the same language. This is just a tiny step in that process - it's really nothing you should fret about, because you can't fight or correct it.

10. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

MegaMoonMan speaks the truth.

I grew up learning British English, but with globalism and TV, have let American slang in (hence I use an odd mix-mash of both types). It's unavoidable, as a specie that naturally adapts--as well as individuals who adopt behaviour. Language reflects culture. Can we say that any the British culture is un-'tainted' by American? Or vice-versa? We aren't we speaking the way our ancestors did? Why do so many words that were harmless before have odd sexual meanings now? Culture.

People who insist I spell it as 'color', not 'colour' though, annoy me. Go nitpick on misspellings first! >_<

11. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Truthfully, this has me concerned. Why are there 14 year-old New Zealanders out there learning American English, when most American kids are only learning Txt Nglsh? We mst all use th sam wds! :) 

-Tony!

12. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Japanese, most likely, now that they're putting money into developing giant robots. :wink: 

13. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

I have students that write 'Mum' as 'Mom'.

I mark them down on crap like that.

:D 

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    US eng/UK eng, doesnt matter. i give 10 years down the road till y'all speak/type fluent KAese.

15. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    As a web designer by trade, this pisses me off royally(pun not intended, but included at no cost to you!). As smang said, there is not way to get around the 'Americanised' spelling when you're giving instructions to a computer. I have to spell words wrong to get them to work!

And don't even get me started on Firefox. If you want the spellcheck to work now, you have to install the British version, and then all your quick search links go to the co.uk sites! I can't use those!

16. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    I usually just right-click on any British spelled words I happen to use and add it to the dictionary. Problem solved.

Though I can sympathize with you as far as programming goes.

17. Haelionis

Haelionis The New New Zealander.

^^

Well, I never expect so many to respond, I would of thought "Oh that kid's a fool, wtf is going on about English" ^^;

I am not angry about this, since I do recognise other languages, but I'm a little upset about how Americanisation is teaching Kids from their home countries another way to spell, if you grew up in say a British commonwealth country or Britain itself, I think you should stay true to what you were taught, Although I'm not saying every kid in Britain spells American, because the older generation still spell properly, thus teaching it to another generation, not to mention the advertising of local products are still in favour of their localised English

For me, I'm in A British Commonwealth country, why I complain? because I have an American ex-pat for a Form 3 English teacher, he teaches us to use humor instead of humour, I keep on getting marked down for 'incorrect English'

Of course, formal situations still use British English, I would have to say, New Zealand needs to re-adapt to what we know as New Zealand English.
    New Zealand is mid-way between British and American, American influence heavily from their adverts here like the carebears "Comes in all sorts of colors!" or Barbie "Stylish new colors for your barbie!" etc.

The last thing to say really is.... American English is simpler, foreign countries that do not have English as a first language, struggle to learn it, the Americans make words shorter, so they're easier to learn, however the British spell it with more letters, and 'funny pronunciation' of words like, they'll be questioning... 'Why is centre pronounced cent-er but not Cent-re like it's spelt' and I guess some of them find it confusing adding an A before an E on some words like Archaeology.

I hope you guys don't find me intrusive on matters that don't concern me ^^;

Yet I hope people can learn from what I'm trying to say.

18. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I (living in the US) tend to use some "American" spellings and some "Brittish" spellings. It really depends on the word. Or if I'm programming or not... Java doesn't recognize the "British" spellings (at least the compilers I've used don't).

Why you are even bringing up the -er vs. -re stuff is beyond me... That isn't laziness or anything worth fighting about. Same letters, different order...

I'm going to leave with this conclusion. Language evolves. Some places let it go one way, some let it go another. That's just how things work.

19. Herbz

Herbz Bleh~

If you've ever read "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson has a theory that all languages will continue to diverge, just like in the story of the tower of Babel. Something you can kind of see in the use of idiolects on blogs and stuff where different people use different slang words, different abbreviations (who but TF fans know what FIBRIR means?), different acronyms, different (possibly non-standard) sentence constructions, etc. So one might argue that English is actually diverging into a ton of different socialects that one day may become different languages all together.

20. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

To me, both "colour" and "centre" are phonetically incorrect. "Our"is pronounced the same as "hour" not "or." "Re sounds like "tree" without the T.

Also, it's not a metre, it's a yard. :p