International travel questions and advice.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Midnight, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I will be going to Singapore sometime in the future and I need to know whats what on everything because iv'e never traveled outside of the country nor have I ever been on a plane.

I'm still in the very early stages of planning and more than anything I need to know what the travel expenses will be, just for the plane ride.

Keep in mind i'm trying to be as frugal as possible.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give me.

I'll check back in whenever I get the chance today or tomorrow.

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Pack a carry on bag not to exceed 45 linear inches (L+W+H), no liquids, foams, or gels that exceed 3.4 fl oz., and make sure that you don't have anything sharp. For security, don't wear a belt, take any change and keys you may have out of your pockets and put it in your carry on. Also, wear loose shoes. This helps with security, and some people's feet tend to swell when they fly. It'll make for a more comfortable flight.

Expenses include the plane ticket, taxis, food, lodging, and whatever souvenirs you decide to pick up. Though airport souvenirs are very high-priced. I'd suggest using online search engines like travelocity or expedia to get a travel package instead of going through a travel agency. They always charge a considerable fee.

Make sure you have a credit card or three. You never know when you'll have an emergency. Get about $200-300 worth of the local currency before you get there.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I believe that cost of living etc in Singapore is pretty high for Asia.

You will need a passport but probably not a visa as I believe there would be some kind of visa waiver agreement between the USA and Singapore but you would need to check with the appropriate embassies (their websites should have the info).

For flights... if you're departing form the West Coast (i.e. LAX) you'd be looking at $1000 +/- $200. Expedia.com is a good way to quickly search flights etc.

Transport within Singapore is cheap and easy. The train system is linked to the airport and that will take you to anywhere (as a tourist) that you would want to go. You can get tourist train passes that are valid for a few days and cost maybe $5 - $10, I can't remember exactly. Accommodation you'll be looking at $50 - $100 a night depending on location and room type. You could do it for less if you want to just bunk with some backpackers, depends on your personal preference. I can't remember the exact area but certain locations are primarily for ladyboys and prostitutes so do your research before you book.

Credit cards as mentioned are a good idea to have. Your standard Maestro / Cirrus debit card should work in most ATMs and you can extract cash in Singaporean dollars, you'll get hit for a few bucks (transaction fee) but the exchange rates are generally ok, certainly no worse than carrying US dollars and exchanging at booths.

There's a good group of Singaporeans on this board I'm sure they can answer any questions you have.

Lah.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  4. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Thanks for the info guys.

I don't have anything to worry about as far as a place to stay goes, and I dont plan on buying any keepsakes really.

I'm meeting with some friends and I won't be there for longer than 2 weeks if I can help it but it may drag out to 1 month depending on certain things.

Those are my 2 time frames and thats one thing i'm concerned about.

The other thing is ticket prices and the whole plane trip and all.

Whats the deal with carry on luggage? I dont plan on bringing much, just some clothes and a few other things.Nothing big.

What kind of bags should I bring if I want to carry everything on the plane with me?

5. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Most airlines will tell you what their limits are, but it's usually this and shouldn't be heavier than about 14 lb. One bag. Plus a laptop or camera or handbag. If you want to take more you need to check it in, the majority of airlines give you a set size/mass for check-in baggage as part of your ticket.

6. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Aside from all the good advice already given above, do plenty of research about the places you want to visit before you go. Since you're meeting friends there I'm assuming they know where to take you.

But if this is a first time for everyone, I'd suggest going to a Barnes & Noble/Borders and pick up the best travel book you can find on S'pore. I forgot the company that wrote the one for Tokyo that I bought but it was a wonderful guide.

One of the most important things for my wife and I when we travel abroad is cuisine. We always research the net for all the good places that exhibit the best of what the culture has to offer. But if you're not into the foodie scene you can skip this.

Most importantly, remember that you're a guest in their country. Their customs and laws will be very different from yours. When I was in Italy this summer there was an incident on the train from Milan to Florence involving an American family. The dad was simply being the "obnoxious American." It was quite embarassing knowing I came from the same country he did. Hell even his kids and wife were embarassed.

Luckily for you, a lot of the public in S'pore speak English so at least you won't have much of a language barrier to deal with.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  7. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I'll be traveling by myself and I know some people that live there so i'll be in good hands I know.I'll probably have to take a tour whether I like it or not.lol

And yes, i'm very respectful of things like customs and culture so I think i'll be cool.

I'm liking all the advice, it sounds very helpful.I'll be using this thread a lot for references in the near future.

8. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You may want to check on any customs fees they might have. I remember when leaving China about 10 years back we had to pay an extra fee just to leave the country- this was on top of plane tickets, passports, and visas.

All the above advice is good, as well.

Can you pick me up some awesome KOs?

9. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  10. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Don't take spray paint with you.

Chuck

11. solitudinal

solitudinal /B/anned