International Textbook

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deceptikitty, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Okay, what experience do you guys have concerning international textbooks? I'm a little worried, but one textbook is 135.00 at my school, and online it's like 50-60. It's for my psychology class (Research Methods).

Has anyone bought an international text and it was missing, like, 20 pages? :lol 

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My best advice is to not buy text books. But if you have too, search online and get one from a second hand place. There's a few sites out there that let students put their old books up for sale.

3. Deceptikitty

Yeah, I'm thinking about holding back on the two $100+ ones until class actually starts. I put an ad on Craigslist, so hopefully someone will have them and be willing to sell them for a nice price. I've even had classes where the book was 130 and we only needed 2/500 pages of it for graphs. :banghead: 

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I've bought a few internationally. Never had any problems with them, but the shipping and sometimes the time it takes to receive them can be a deciding factor.

If i were you, i'd look into earlier editions of the book. Since they basicly come out with a new edition every year, not much is changed from edition to edition. Though I'd talk about it with your professor beforehand.

5. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Of the few international textbooks I've had, only one was kinda bad - it had mis-cut pages, crooked printing and smelled like perfume. No missing pages from what I remember.

I usually stick to half.com or amazon for my textbooks needs unless I waited too late or the price difference compared to the campus bookstore is negligible. The nice thing about the online places is that reselling them usually gets nearly all my funds back and in rare cases a tiny profit.

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Amazon is a great resource for very reasonably priced used textbooks. Best way to search it (and bamm.com, bn.com, ebay, and hell, just Google in general) is to use the ISBN. Really gets you an accurate search.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Abe.com is another used bookstore. Between those three I've never had trouble getting cheap books. Of Course, I'm a historian so I mostly buy paperbacks and not textbooks.

8. Deceptikitty

Thanks guys! :) 

9. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I go with the 'Don't Buy the Book' theory. Borrow a copy from classmates occasionally and read what you have to. Most professors will tell you the parts they think are important. If you do buy it, and aren't going to need it afterwards, sell it before the semester/ grading period is out, before the prof has a chance to change what book they're using for the course, and your book becomes a nice paperweight.

-Tony!

10. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have bought international textbooks whenever I could, and they are fantastic and just like the more expensive US versions. I would definitely suggest them - thsi is coming from buying about 12 of these.