International Purchase help

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Envy52295, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Envy52295

Envy52295 Decepticon Muscle Bot

Ebay:
    Hey guys i wanted to know if any of you could help me. I ordered Am 17 Swerve from Robot Kingdom and this is the first time that i ordered a figure overseas. I recently checked the tracking and it says that my figure is "Inbound to Customs"? I dont really know what that means and its obviously the first time this happened to me. Have any of you gotten that before? If so what does it mean. Thank you guys for any imput!

2. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Every foreign shipment goes through customs office for a checkup, to see if you're not receiving illegal goods, or to have it evaluated in price.

That is regular practice everywhere in the world. Every imported artical has to go through customs. If it's value is above a certain limit, the buyer will have to pay a customs fee (+ tax in certain cases) if he wants to import/pick up the package.

The tracking message in your case means that the shipment has arrived to your country, but it still hasn't been through a customs control. After customs control it is sent to a national post hub (or a nearest one, depending on the organization of your postal service network), where it will be sorted and sent to your postal office, or your city's postal hub, where it will be sorted again and then sent to your local post office. Expect somewhere between 2-5 working days to receive your package.

3. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    You sound like a kid. Calm down and don't worry. It sounds like the figures have arrived and are going through customs. You should get it in a week or less. Generally you'll receive it in a few days.

4. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

News Credits:
    No need to be a douche about it...a perfectly reasonable question for a new collector.

Its totally normal my friend. Your figure will be with you shortly.

5. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    ^ New or not, it comes across like he's panicking. I'm simply pointing out there's no need.

6. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:

1) Don't panic.
    2) You'll probably have it about a week after Robotkingdom ship it.

7. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait, so even though you paid the seller via paypal already, but if it's reached above the limit, the post office (or whoever), will ask you to pay the extra?

Good man. I have been a collector since 2001 years and even I don't do international purchasing, hehe. So ordering MP12, MP13 from RK will also be my first international ordering.

8. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Almost exactly that. Your domestic carrier will ask you to pay extra, but in fact is customs who will charge the extra import duties (usually sales tax + extra import tax). Your carrier will also most probably charge you an extra fee for paying up front those import duties to customs.
    And in case you are wondering, NONE of that extra charge goes to the seller: it goes to the state! That's why many sellers have an extra disclaimer warning about those extra costs for international transactions.

9. Razorclaw

Some states determine a limit on value of items that are imported from abroad. Everything bellow or at the limit is imported without any aditional fees. Every item whose value is above the limit incures a customs fee (+ tax in case of some countries).

We can take my country for example. Limit on ordered items is 50 euros. If an item costs more than 50 euros, I will have to pay 20% customs fee (or was it 30%?) + 18% VAT on the total (calculate 18% on (50+(50x0.2)) ) to pick up the package at my local post office.

Lucky me, I never payed customs and taxes, as I always ask sellers to mark down the value of the package, when I order from abroad.

I'm even luckier as I hear from other people that they calculate customs fees and VAT not only on the value of the item in package, but they add the value and the SHIPPING FEE paid, and calculate customs fee and VAT on that.

And you people complain about $16.99 prices on deluxes.

10. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:

For the sake of the original poster, US customs don't much care about a thing like that.

Esp for a 50 dollar toy.

11. Razorclaw

Yeah, free market and all. Now, think how much money custom fees and VAT would add to USA budget. Considering the size of the market, it would be a hefty sum.

12. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

No customs fees in the States. Not all packages go through customs.

13. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

people will just start doing what collectors in other countries been doing, have the seller declare lower value/nature of the item to avoid custom taxes. unless the custom is going to open up every single package and have professional appraisers on item value, how are they going to enforce it for sells between individuals marked as 'gifts' , obviously stores like hlj that prominently display their commercial nature on the boxes have to be more honest about it, but how can the custom prove i didn't sent a package to buhtan to a internet friend as a birthday gift instead of just a ebay sells if i don't bother including a sales/packing slip?

and about the vat on top of other import taxes, it's like a a real life meme - sup dawg, i hurd you like taxes...