Interested in hearing other people's opinions of the Classics line

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jetstorm, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Well, as surprising and shocking as it may seem, I'm not as much of a Transformers enthusiast as I used to be ( :eek:  ). It's not *MY* fault though, I just wasn't impressed with the Armada, Energon, and Cybertron TV shows, and that's how I base whether or not I collect a toyline- if I like the shows. I tried getting into Armada and I do have a lot of the toys, and I have a handful of Energon toys, and like 2 Cybertron toys (and I got 'em as gifts :rolleyes2  ).

So ANYWAY, on my lunch breaks from work I go out to my car and watch an episode of G1 on my portable DVD player (I just finished the Five Faces of Darkness episodes :rock  ) and I started realizing that since I was born in '88 that meant that I don't have ANY of the original toys (except for some of the Commemorative Series re-issues from a few years ago). That's why I really REALLY like what I've been seeing from the Classics line. I picked up Jetfire today at Toys R Us and it's so so sooooo cool lol.

I'm just interested in hearing what other people think of the Classics line, I'm particularly interested in hearing about what people think about the Devstator set.

I *finally* get a chance to get my favorite G1 characters in great toy forms without paying the high eBay prices of the originals!

2. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

The Cybertron toys were pretty good.

Classics were great. Probably my only real complaint is the lack of faction insignias. This line taught me to hate rub signs. The Prime is probably the best toy incarnation we've ever gotten for him. Great articulation, not nampered by ratcheting joints, and he looks good in both modes. Only a tralier that turns into a battlestation would have made him better. Mirage is possibly one of the best TFs ever made. He makes Bendy Prime look like a brick.

I just wish they'd make more. I wasn't fond of the character selection for the Autobots. I never liked Bumblebee or Grimlock, and my hatred for Hot Rod is almost palpable.

3. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    The only recent toy line besides Alternators that is any good in my opinon. Love this line and wish they weren't killing it off.

4. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I have the two that I really liked: Astro-Train and Mirage. I think the rest are cool but I have other TFs that I would rather spend my money on. Having said that, I think it'd be a great line to continue with, I'd be interested in seeing what else they can do with it as it has been a very good line so far.

5. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I thought it was a decent line, and it did have some pretty cool toys. My only complaints would really be the paint app QC (which was atrocious), and that some of the toys didn't feel as sturdy as much of Energon or Cybertron. However, those are fairly minor complaints.

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was a very enjoyable line. I didn't think it was any better than Armada, Energon, or Cybertron, and certainly not better than Alts, but it was a fun ride.

7. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

I thought Classics was pretty great for a main line. Alt's/Bt's will always be the best, but the Classics were damn great. The engineering was great, and the character selection was mixed well.

The big hold up for me totally embracing it is that it is really small (incomplete in a way), and some of the core pieces are part of a very expensive exclusive set. I love Classics, but I think I'd rather track down a BT Black Convoy than these. Because even with the extra seekers the line seems a bit anemic.

The toys we got were great though, don't get me wrong. It also been fun to mix in the homage characters from previous lines to create a larger universe.

I'd love to see that Cosmos.

8. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Awwww, c'mon it was at least a little better than Armada and Energon...

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alright, I'll give you Armada. :lol 

10. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Classics weren't a main line though, they've been stated to be just a filler line right from the start. That's why it seems to be such a small line, because it was a fun fire-and-forget thing. Make a quick, small run of toys that will make some of the older fans happy.

11. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

I liked the line but felt if, taken more seriously, it could become much greater. You can tell that these were made as filler to appease fans with a direct homage to G1 rather than nudge-nudge\wink-wink homages.

The only thing I'm sad about is that they didn't take this as an opportunity to release more Masterpiece-quality toys. I thought Jetfire could've easily been made to Masterpiece level quality with a few retools.

12. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

the only thing that could make classics better would be red and purple grid packaging

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In relation to recent lines...

Energon >> Classics = Cybertron > Armada

In general, I thought the engineering was excellent on the Classics figures (Grimlock being the notable exception) and the line ran long enough to get a good batch of recognizable characters out there. However, I've gotten sick of G1 homages/rehashes over the past couple of years and I'm glad to see Classics wrapping up and the hope of a new direction (finally) with/after the movie.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Classics > Universe. That was the last shelf filler line and frankly, it was no contest. Hopefully Classics will return every time filler is needed.

15. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Who knows, maybe Classics did do well enough that they might continue it. I certainly hope so. I loved every bit of it.

Well, minus Devastator, Soundwave, and the Minicons.

16. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

come now, the minicons were pretty awesome... expecially the street defense team or whatever (the one with firebot (best name ever! lol ))

17. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Never been a big Minicon fan. I did like the Dirt Digger team. But that was about it.

18. Deathbringer

Deathbringer Banned

i really like the Classics line. I have Ops, Megs, Astrotrain, Rodimus and Mirage.
    i hope they would continue the line. I'd like to see a Shockwave/Shockblast figure along with an official Nemesis Prime repaint.( i cant paint for crap )

19. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

In a line about G1 characters, if they make a Nemesis Prime, I will be very sad.

Hell, I already fear it might be one of the Botcon Exclusives. Classics is one line I hope they just don't make a Nem Prime in.

20. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Be seeing you...

Basically Classics is the line I've been waiting for since I got back into Transformers in 1999. Although I learned to love the Beast Era, I was always hoping they would do something to update G1 toys the same way the Power of the Force 2 line was an update for the original Star Wars figures.

It's nice to finally have a well articulated Prime based on his original form, and a gun based Megatron to boot. Plus, I never really had any of the 1984-85 Autobot Cars, so it's nice to have Mirage, Bumblebee, and Hot Rod.

Classics are now the "core" of my collection with suitable molds from Armada to Cybertron attached to fill out the ranks. I can settle with picking and choosing from future lines again, but I would like to see Classics continue.