Non-TF: Intensity - The Toughest Girl On The Block

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by GAUGE, Jul 4, 2012.

1. GAUGE

GAUGE Tin Foil Hats = Alternative Facts

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    The is a project I have been wanting to try and tackle for a couple years now. my biggest problem is the fear of messing it up. I suck at customizing of any kind and may need a lot of help from my fellow board members here. :) 

Intensity is a local comic book I created here in Phoenix, Arizona. I just sold out of my first issues at this year's Phoenix Comicon back in May. anyway moving on lol.

So far, I've decided that i want her to be as accurate as possible to my art while also being as poseable as possible. I've decided I'm going to use the upper body (head/arms/torso of Marvel 's Rachel Summers and then from the waist down I'm going to utilize the legs of WWE's Rey Mysterio.

what do you guys think? is this a decent direction?

Any help I can get would be super appreciated. I also need help taking a part both figures at the waist swivel without damaging and destroying them. :( 

Photos can be found: HERE(I got no choice but to link off-site because for some reason the manage photos thing is not working right for me)

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  2. HaZe

HaZe Well-Known Member

3. GAUGE

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    yeah but the Hazard Viper is quite smaller than the Rachel Summers figure as she is 6 inches. ;) 

4. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    The Rey pants are a bold choice, and I think, a good one. Just make sure you're happy with the proportions of how the parts will come together. Those Wrestling guys tend to be tall, leggy especially, I've not had a lot of good luck mixing them with normal 6" figures generally, let alone faking out a gender-swap.

But it all comes down to the particular figures (neither of which I have) and where/how you join the parts. I think you're on the right track.

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I think the leg swap is brilliant, actually. Kind of thinking outside the box. :thumb 

I'm not sure what to suggest though... I've run into this problem before too, since action figures are usually glued tight (or something), as opposed to being held together with convenient screws like Transformers. I'm don't know the best way to get those bodies apart.

Maybe if you put both figures in some boiling (or recently boiled) water and left them in just enough for the plastic to swell just enough to loosen the glue. I doubt they would warp appreciably in that time, and it might do the trick.

zmog

6. GAUGE

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    This is what I got so far...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan on sanding down the waist of the pants to better match where her upper body will meet it.

7. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    Looks like your in the right direction, her hips are maybe a bit wide, but as long as you get the waist down, and grind down the crotch as well you should be in good shape

8. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

You may also want to try using a bit of (insert sculpting material of your choice here) to widen her hips above the waistjoint; if you can do it smoothly enough, it'll also match up to the art-style you're working with, a bit.

May also want to widen the hole in her torso to allow the two parts to sit flush with each other.

9. SMOG

I concur with the above. The size difference between the two figures was quite a bit more than I expected, but it seems like the hips are mostly all one chunk of plastic, so you should be able to cut/grind/sand it down to match the waist more or less.

Another option might even be to cut down the "skirt" hip section from the Marvel Girl figure and use it as intermediate section between the two. It'll give her a longer torso, but I think she could do with a little more length there, to balance the proportions of the wrestler legs. Also, it already has a belt. You might want to do some eyeball measurements to see if that's even an option, but I think it might work.

zmog

10. GAUGE

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    I'm doing it all with very minimal tools. I don't even own a dremel or any other kind of saw or anything.

And I am a super noob when it comes to sculpting anything.

I may have to save some cash up before i can progress any further.

11. HaZe

HaZe Well-Known Member

I'd like to see what the original pelvis with just the legs look like. You may have more luck with adding some scoulpting to that to make it look like pants. And may not have to deal with all that sanding.

12. SMOG

^^This is actually a very good suggestion... though it involves swapping the legs between the two figures, and they may not be compatible. Plus, it may require some disassembly of the hips, which may not be easy.

If they ARE compatible though... I'd try that out!

As for tools... don't worry too much. Until you need to drill a hole, I wouldn't expect you to need a Dremel for this project. It can speed things up a bit, but you should be able to handle most of it with a decent hobby knife (or box cutter) and some sandpaper of varying roughness. And some kind of epoxy/glue maybe.

zmog

13. HaZe

HaZe Well-Known Member

A cheep way to scoulpt is to use super glue and then put baking powder on it whil still wet. Then sand or scrap to your likeing. won't be super duper strong but it's still pritty strong.

14. GAUGE

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Now you can see my primary issue. Mysterio's legs are connected by a some kind of Balljoint.
    Marvel Girl's are totally different. It's why i decided to use Rey's Pelvis. If I can somehow grind it down (a little bit) it may be able to work.
    another problem I'm having is where to buy the putty or....should I use Sculpy? both I have no real experience with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    There is a place called Aves Studios that have sculpty stuff, but you have to order it online. I don't know if that helps any, but good luck on your project.

16. HaZe

HaZe Well-Known Member

Looks to me you could cut a bit out of the bottome of the female pelvis and maybe glue in the top part of the leg joints.

17. SMOG

It's definitely tricky though. Hard to say without having the pieces right in hand. With some cutting, you might actually be able to attach the posts for the Mysterio legs in there. If not, and it all goes badly, you can just go back to the Mysterio hips.

Again, you might be able to use the rubber skirt part to create a belt-line around the waist to smooth the transition between the Marvel Girl torso and the Mysterio hips. It would cover that small gap at the very least.

zmog

18. Ezilla82

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    You know something caught my intention and it may work for your custom maybe get a TNA female wrestler body that has those style of pants that way you don't have to do any cutting, sanding, and etc. Well just take that into consideration.

19. GAUGE

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    you mean i didn't have to destroy 2 perfectly awesome figures?

awww. :( 

well, I've never seen those types of figures anywhere.

20. Ezilla82

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Yes and I wish I could've gave you this link sooner, but hopefully you don't scrap this project. Just take a look at this link of the custom Shinobitron did.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/624145-red-she-hulk.html