Intel or AMD?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rodimus, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

Which cpu brand do you prefer?

I am about to buy a new PC but I am unsure of which brand to go with. I have been a Intel guy since I bought this PC (the only one I ever had) but I also think that AMD derserves a fair chance. That's where every one else comes in. I need reviews and opinions.

My thing with AMD is that I am afriad of their durablitiy. My dad had one a few years ago and it crashed on him. Of coarse the fact that he bought his PC cheap at the Baltimore convention center at a flea market PC type thing might have had something to do with it.

But right now I have a 1.5 Ghz Pentium 4 and I need to do alot of video editing and that's not getting the job done. So I'm looking for an upgrade. Money is also a factor. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. I'll be getting a Duel Core for the time being until later when Quads become more common in software and I can afford it.

I do play some games, but not often and most of the games I do play are several years old. I'm not a hardcore gamer at all. I use PS2 for games. I do alot of media editing. Both video and audio. I'll probably be getting a PC with a TV Tuner also.

So I ask all you guys and girls who have had more PCs than I have, which cpu manufactuer do you prefer and reccomend? AMD or Intel?

Which do you think I should go with?

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've always used AMD. From what I can tell the "balance-of-power" (power meaning quality) seems to shift between the two companies with time. While one may be superior now, in six months time the other company might be producing the better chip. I have no idea what's the best right now.

3. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I personally like Intel. I've not looked into the chip race for a little while now, but I think in terms of price to performance Intel is currently in the lead.

As for specific cpus, a popular one is the E6600. I believe my friend has one of those and is very satisfied with the performance and how cool it runs. The computer Im running now has the quad core Q6600, which apparently is basically two E6600s hyper threaded together. Runs a little warm, but performance is very good so far.

4. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I've always been a fan of AMD.. not sure why. But I use windows, so doesn't really matter what processor I buy, its always gonna run like crap.

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Intel Core 2s are murdering AMD X2s in performance, you should only be buying the latter if you are dirt poor and/or don't need any clout in your machine.

6. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say they are murdering them, but price vs quality Intel chips are the better buy right now. I'm an AMD fan, but they are falling a bit behind at the moment. However you also have to look at the total package. And Intel chipset motherboards tend to be more expensive then the equivalant boards for AMD as well. So the price differenece isn't jsut for the CPU upgrade.

Even with that though I'd have to recommend Intel at the moment E6600 as mentioned above has been getting excellent reviews and the few friends I have that have gotten it highly recommend it.

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I have an Intel in one of my PCs and an AMD in the other.

8. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I perfer Intel and if you're into gaming then Intel is a better choice and their chip uses less power then AMD which cuts down on heat.

9. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Even though I run AMD most of the time, Intel's Core series of CPUs are better value, generally faster in most applications and use less power than equivalent AMD X2 chips.

Frankly, Intel is just waiting for AMD to release their Phenom chips so they can counter with their new CPUs. Intel has apparently been sitting on the Core series for a few years now.

10. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I was just browsing websites and I noticed that some AMD powered PCs have higher ghz and FSB rated specifications but cost less than some Intel Core 2 power PCs that have a less FSB rating. And the highest FSB rating on an intel processor I have come across so far is only 1066 FSB.

What does that observation mean? Are Intel chips more durable or something and that's why they cost more?

11. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

X2 chips are cheaper and easier to manufacture, the main reasons being that they have half as much L2 cache and because they are heavily based on AMDs older models.

AMD have also been slashing prices like OJ to try and gain ground on Intel, nobody with any sense would be buying thier chips if they were similar prices to equivelently clocked Core 2s.

12. anubis

anubis she who lurks in shadows

Personally, I prefer AMD over Intel anytime. why? because the last intel CPU I had didn't even last me a year. I've got AMD processors in both my desktop and Laptop and they run pretty good.

13. MatrixKeeper108

MatrixKeeper108 One With The Matrix

There's really no reason to play favorites. Both companies produce fantastic products (as long as you avoid semprons and celerons).

Right now, Intel is in the lead, and really they are the hottest thing on the market and are absolutely worth any sort of price difference.

What you may want to consider, however, is the fact that AMD's new Phenom line is coming out relatively soon (think end of the year/early 2008). AMD is making big claims about this new product, and truthfully, I'm one to believe them. Technology cycles always work in spurts, but some spurts are bigger than others, and if you buy now you'll be ahead of the curve for only a relatively short time, wheras when Phenom debuts, it'll likely be a while before Intel's response is ready.

If you don't want to wait, Core 2 Duo, all the way.

14. 333HE

333HE HERSHEY'S GONNA EAT JOO.

I don't even know what's in my comp. Some guy built it for me, all I know is it's got enough juice in it to run almost every single game out there. And that's good enough for me! :D 

15. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

I've got a stupid question in the same area as this thread.

Does anyone know if Intel Pentium D 925 3.0GH Dual Core means that the processor has 2 3.0ghz cores or if it means it has 2 1.5 ghz cores that add up to 3.0ghz? I'm new to buying stuff like this.

16. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Personally I was an Intel guy for years until the Athlon Thunderbirds came out. I have never looked back

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    :lolol 

if youre gonna tweak your system, like overclocking and such, go with AMD, theyre more robust.

18. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

2 1.5's. Its the multiplier (ratio) of cpu x FSB speed that gives you your ending Ghz.

Ya, and I see CPU technology will change very quickly here as they are pushing these CPU platform's to the max.

Intel was hurting throughout the celeron period with that hyperthreading crap and whatnot that really didn't help them too much vs. AMD's cpu's
    But Intel sort of regained strength thru the Pentium D's, and now the c2D's are leading the pack. AMD was reporting a slight loss for a while but theyll be trading blows again soon. Ive had experience with both chips although Im more attached to Intel than AMD, however this old XP 2800 I got is pretty fast. Definately able to run Internet Explorer, while playing party poker, windows media player, and burn a disc at the same time is always nice, and AMD gives me that. Realistically any dual core outperforms the single in my book. But some celerons still are in demand.

19. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Too bad too. Seems like a good deal.

20. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Well the Pentium D's 945 and up have been getting cheap, but paying those prices you might as well step up to the e6750's or the E6550 on the cheap. The cheapest C2d crushes the top dogg Pentium D 945-965 any day. dont waste your dough on a Pentium D.