Integrated Weapons-Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Torque, May 18, 2011.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Specifically in alt mode. I'm not talking about weapons like Gen. Blurr or Leader Sentinel Prime where the weapons have places to go, but more like Classics Optimus Prime or DOTM Megatron and Shockwave. Cause I like it sometimes, like how it has the PERFECT place in alt mode, but if you lose one, your alt mode is screwed. Kup has it down pretty well, but his rifle doesnt transform like the others. So I'm kinda in the middle. How bout you?

EDIT:: Dangit, forgot the poll

2. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

I'll be happy enough if the alt mode has ANY kind of storage for the weapons.

I have a drawer full of loose accessories.

3. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

quoted for great justice! I had 2 full gallon sized ziplock of guns and junk before I sold my pre-classics pieces.

4. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I frankly love the idea and have thought about it. It'd be hard to incorporate it into a lot of figures though. But something like the Triggercons (although done better, and less obviously) would be sweet. And would totally cut down on missing guns.

5. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Like the idea but don't always like the execution. DotM Megatron is a fantastic toy, but I really wish his cannon weren't required for the alt mode. The least they could have done was have the whole tank become the cannon.

You lose his weapon, hes a tanker with half a tank being carried.

6. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    well the tarp kinda covers it lol

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think this is a case-by-case basis for me. If it's done well, I like it.

8. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I like bits of the alt-mode that TF into weapons. The perfect way to do it? Have a logging truck TF, and the various logs can turn into weapons for him!

9. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wants 3rd Party Knock Out

I agree.

10. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I keep hoping down this line we will have some figures with Stealth Force that still transforms from vehicle to robot.

11. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

My favorite type of "integrated" weapon is actually a halfway point between what you propose. I don't like weapons that just snap onto the alt mode for no discernible purpose, e.g. Animated Sentinel Prime's truck-with-a-sword-on-top, or Classic Grimlock's T-Rex-with-a-gun-on-top. I prefer integrated weapons like Classics Prime's windvane and smokestacks, or Animated Megatron's swords. However, Animated Megatron is an example of how integrated weapons can be really bad. Lose his swords or his fusion cannon, and you don't have a helicopter anymore. For this reason, although integrated weapons are better than "car with a gun on top," it still has its flaws.

My favorite type integrates the weapons into a non-essential but structurally-important piece of the alternate mode. An example is Classics Hot Rod. The gun becomes his car's jet engine. Sucks if you lose the gun, but you'd still have a fully functional car. Other examples include Generations Blurr, the Alternators, and ROTF Bludgeon. If you lose Alternator Smokescreen's gun, you still have a car but without an engine. If you lose Bludgeon's sword, you still have a tank toy but with a somewhat shorter turret.

12. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I agree with SQ7, but in general I like it best when it's done like with Generations Drift, where the weapons store completely hidden away in alt mode - unless the weapons are equally useful in robot and alt more, like the Classics Seekers.

13. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

I'm more of a fan of pop-out, fully integrated weaponry. It just makes more sense for a bunch of robots. The only problem is that if they get past a certain size the rest of the toy has to work around them, which on;y leads to sadness.

But things like Alternator Tracks's slide-out wrist-cannons, or Cybertron Crosswise's springloaded missile batteries, work well.

That said, hand-held weaponry does make for good action poses. I still prefer it when it can be clipped or placed somewhere in altmode it doesn't absolutely have to detach from when transforming. For example, if it ends up deployed on a shoulder, or forearm, or slung across the back, or in an interior compartment. It's just neater, more elegant, and doesn't lead to cheaty cartoon transformations like Galvatron's, where his arm cannon vanishes during transformation, then magically extrudes front the front of the cannon mode. Or, during the other way around, pops off the cannon front, bounces into the air, and is caught by the mount on his arm.

So sue me, I like toyetic (or at least non-shapeshifting Euclidian 3D) transformations which don't involve partsforming, subspace, or bits flying through the air.

Hmm. I wonder how long it will be before we get gimmicks where you can push a button, the robot hand opens, a weapon springs out of the forearm and into the hand, and the hand closes (at least partially) around the handle? Or maybe it'll be more like the TF:p rime models, where the weapon springs out to replace or cover the hand entirely...