Instructions or No Instructions?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Red Hope, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Red Hope

Red Hope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    How many of y'all transform more modern TFs (CHUG, Animated, RtS, RotF, etc) without instructions for the very first time of owning them?

I'm using the instructions the first time I transform any new modern TF. With the G1s and G2s, I could transform them without instructions the first time. Even if I buy a "new-used" G1/G2 for my collection, I can easily transform 'em without needing the instructions.

2. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Instructions? Yeah I dont use that old tech, I watch youtube videos when I cant remember something.

Alot of times I just get them free and transform them when I get home. Back in the Beast Wars days, I probably could close my eyes and transform them. A line like Animated was pretty easy the first time around. It's just I kept goofing on robot to vehicle mode with the SS figure.

3. xeno

xeno xeno

News Credits:
    Always. The only toy I have ever looked at the instructions was Masterpiece Prime cause I did not want to accidentally stress any one piece of that guy.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I do, mostly to make sure I catch many of the more subtle nuances and because otherwise I'd spend a week figuring out how to transform figures like WFC Optimus.

5. Red Hope

Ebay:
    Yeah the BWs were fairly straight forward. Most of the Animated hasn't been too complex. I did get a little hung up on Blurr. I'm not use to small "connection" tabs to lock stuff in place. There wasn't much of that in G1/G2.

So far, my major user-malfunction was on Generations Skullgrin. lol

6. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

No matter what I do I try to do it first without reading the instructions. Well, unless I'm building one of my RC helicopters than the instructions are vital.
    But that said, just today while visiting my friends house we were opening up a couple of his Classics and started transforming them.

With Kup, I had the instructions sheet in front of me, and could not figure out step two at all. I looked at the pitiful drawings, looked at the toy, and saw no way of doing it without using super-human strength. Since it wasn't my toy, I didn't want to use brute force and risk breaking it. Then I took Perceptor, and he was easy as pie. I didn't even look at the instructions once and figured him out, and same with Wreck-Gar. Only looked at the picture of the card for reference.

Basically I like to figure things out on my own, then follow instructions.

7. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

I don't use the instructions. I've only had to use them as a last resort on a couple of figures. I get a kick out of figuring it out by myself. Same reason I don't look at the picture when I do jigsaw puzzles. More fun for me that way.

8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't used them in 15 years, why should I start now? And the more challenging the transformation is, the more fun it is.

9. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

If I feel like I'm breaking something on the toy, I go to the instructions. Other than that, nope.

10. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    A lot of transformations have been pretty simple. I managed to get Breacher and BB Optimus Prime without instructions and no Youtube vids of them. I managed to figure them out. Woot.

11. AMG

AMG Old School

I use instructions for modern TFs, especially movie bots.

12. Red Hope

Ebay:
    I know right? The instructions are so lousy! I'm surprised they just work off of drawings. I think the old G1/G2 instructions were far better. I can't remember how the BWs were. Some of those drawings, I stare at for a good minute. I start to wonder if I'm better off without 'em when they get fugly.

It's a good thing the Gundam model kit instructions don't use Hasbro's drawings. lol!

13. Jimmy88

Jimmy88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude back in the day I never used the instructions and I always succeeded, from Beast Wars, to Robots in Disguise, any ones I grew up with. It was like I always challenged myself to see if I could. Now the current ones especially the movie ones are a completely different story. Even with the instructions I had issues. So yeah now I always use them. I thought that I was losing my touch but its just that the toys are getting more advanced. I still succeed at transforming them though, there has never been one TF that I couldnt transform......

14. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I invariably use instructions the first time round. Don't want to risk breaking anything.

15. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Problem solving and deduction are two great skills learned by transforming Transformers without instructions. Never use them.

16. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This. I always "print" the transformation sequence in my head just by transforming the figure once but I don't wanna risk to break something the first time, especially when the figures has some not well thought engineered parts that require to apply force on the plastic or to "bend" parts to make them fit or move...

Then I threw them in a plastic bag, never to be read again, just in case I should resell the figures.

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I collect instructions. :D 

I'm infamously known within our local group in NC for not using instructions. I only use on rare occassions. MP Megs would be one.

18. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always use the instructions. Not worth the risk, plus I like to see what features I might've missed and which weren't listed.

19. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

LOL "Risk." It should be easy enough to see where a joint can and cannot go. I've never broken a single transforming figure in my life.

How much force is necessary to tucking away or unfolding an arm or leg, seriously?

20. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I use instructions the first time around because I'm slow when it comes to this sort of thing :p