Instead of Rebirth, would an American dub of Headmasters have been better?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Using the music and voices from Rebirth.

Now yeah, there were some kinda lame scenes in Headmasters too but I think this is just because of the audio and that a good official dub and scripting would have made the episodes more entertaining to watch.

Now the problem lies that Headmasters featured the characters in a different setting - no Nebulans or Nebulos for example. So if they had dubbed Headmasters instead, just make it so that Nebulans never existed in any of the fiction and that the American characters are altered to be more like the Japanese characters.

2. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    No.

Rebirth was a fitting (debatable) end for the Transformers. The return to the Golden Age, the vanquishing of the Decepticons, it was a good way to end the story of the Transformers until Beast Wars picked it back up some 7 years later.

Headmasters didn't really "end" the Transformers ... it just turned in to a new series with new continuity every year after it.

3. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Having not seen Headmasters, I can't really say, but I don't see what the problem with the Rebirth. Not high art, certainly, but still a fun story that introduced cool concepts with great characters.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't think so. Headmasters had a bunch of stuff that was just too... Japanese for American audiences. Sort of like how a lot of adaptation was required for RiD, I think American audiences simply wouldn't be ready for that big a shift in what transformers cartoons would be.

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I agree with this. Headmasters started the trend or restarting the continuity with every new series.

6. Bass X0

News Credits:
    Its easy to find episodes of it on YouTube. I don't like it that much mainly because of the audio. Neither the Japanese original or Star TV dub are enjoyable to listen to. In both versions the voices didn't quite suit the characters and the music was dull, quiet and generic.

7. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    The power of friendship defeats evil!

8. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would have rather had a dub of Headmasters. Simply because I dislike the American concept of Headmasters.

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, they should have had SOMETHING longer than Rebirth to promote the next year of toys. The lack of promotion certainly hampered sales of Fort Max, Scorponok, Sixshot etc., and saw the flagship big toys killed outside of Japan for nearly a decade. Nothing as large as Powermaster Optimus Prime was released, excepting MM/AM playsets, until Generation 2 Megatron.

As soon as Hasbro stopped promoting the toys on a TV show the line started to die. If they had been involved in Headmasters maybe it would have had better writing, or at least a more Western-friendly focus. Penny wise and pound foolish.

10. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
  11. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
  12. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Nebulos was in the comics, so losing the TV incarnation would not have been the end for that world.

13. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i keep nebulans for headmasters, targetmasters, powermasters - i keep japanese fort maximus too

14. Bass X0

News Credits:
    I was thinking the Japanese version for the Headmasters would be the only version in America too and that the comics would have been written differently to match the Headmasters cartoon.

15. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    But Nebulos was a different type of world in the comics anyway - I'm not sure how much of that was just their take on the core concept, or cooked up from whole cloth in the first place.

Their lord Zarak was a character I'd rather not see airbrushed out - more interesting than the mwahahaha one in Rebirth.

16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Pluss there would have been the character change in Arcee, and Danial was even more annoying in Headmasters then he was in season 3.

Well I sure if they would have brought those over they would have thought up some way to fix those issues with dialog.

You do know its not an American dub right????

Hence the name of this thread...."Instead of Rebirth, would an American dub of Headmasters have been better?"

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think one of the bigger issues (from Hasbro's point of view anyway) would be after all they went through which made them bring Optimus Prime back into the series, all a Headmasters dub would give them is taking Op out again - and Galvatron - and Cybertron - and sending Rodimus and buddies away - and a few more guys, leaving us with the roving adventures of Fort Max and the Headmaster bunch. After their previous experience, I doubt Hasbro would've wanted to shake everything up so soon after the backlash from their previous shakeup attempt.

Then again, Battle Beasts cross-promotion! :) 

I do kinda prefer the Japanese Headmaster concept of little robots making heads for big bodies though, but then they went Masterforce and reversed it.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  18. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I actually really like Rebirth. I would have loved to have seen a whole season 5 carry on with all the new characters too, but oh well.

I've got the Headmasters boxset and I've trying to get through it but it really is hard work.

Darn you Soundwave.

19. Bass X0

News Credits:
    Why do you think that is? Do you think if it had Rebirth quality scripting, voices and music that it would be more enjoyable to watch?

20. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

No, that wouldn't help much. You can't get round some of the bizarre aspects of the show. Mindwipe putting Slag to sleep? The Autobot Headmasters winning through the power of friendship? Just ain't gonna fly in the West.