2D Artwork: Inspired By All The Animated ! (Sketches)

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Tom-1, May 31, 2010.

1. Tom-1

Tom-1 Well-Known Member

Animated Inspired! (Newer Sketches)

I should be studying for my math final... but why break with a consistent streak of putting my childish pursuits before my academic success? XD

I'm going out of my mind with all the GREAT Animated artwork floating around (MwK, Digi, RodimusZero) so I had to give it a go. I'm not very good at the Animated style, but I never really tried so I can't be TOO hard on myself. XD

So, here's Onslaught! I figured with his British accent in the cartoon and his penchant for proper planning, I'd give him a stuffy knight look. All the Combaticons have an element of real world military (Onslaught = knight, Brawl = soldier, Blast Off = Napoleon, Vortex = Helicopter pilot, Swindle = Profiteer? XD ) He's also got a Germanic/Roman sort of feel, with the mohawk and studs.

Brawl! His head is modeled after Master Chief from Halo. He turns into a Warhammer stlye tank - all brutish and blocky, just grinding things under it's treads. I wanted to give him claw hands, but I figured Animated has tons of those guys already, so settled for a set of "brawlin' " gloves.

Blast Off - the aristocratic, aloof, literally and figuratively distant member of the Combaticons is based on the old-world regal officer look, with buttons, white gloves(with those little ribbings on the back of the hand), a sword, cape, shoulder adornments, and admiral's cap. The idea would be for his feet to be very small, and for him to almost never touch the ground. And yes, he has a moustache. He's fancy XD

Thanks for looking - but more importantly, thanks to the artists who drove me to do this despite other obligations! X)

Tom

Attached Files:

• ONS.jpg
      ONS.jpg
      File size:
      93.5 KB
      Views:
    • brawls.jpg
      brawls.jpg
      File size:
      196.7 KB
      Views:
    • BO1.jpg
      BO1.jpg
      File size:
      282.5 KB
      Views:
    • Bo22.jpg
      Bo22.jpg
      File size:
      248.1 KB
      Views:
  2. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Well-Known Member

Very nice sketches. Studying is overrated. Some of my best work is done when I should be acting responsibly

3. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Sweet stuff man, especially for a first try! Think there are some really good design elements in there like the bolts/screws looking like a buttoned uniform! :) 

Oh, and good luck on your math final!

4. Tom-1

Tom-1 Well-Known Member

Thanks Ted! Thanks Digilaut!

I certainly agree that I'm usually doing my best creatively when I should be doing something that has the term 'responcibility' attached to it. XD

And thanks so much for the kind words, Digi! It means alot coming from you! : )

Tom

5. TedimusPrime

Hahahahaha. Yes, by thursday I will upload all the transformers pictures I drew during the school year when I should have been paying attention. It's quite a gallery.

6. TedimusPrime

By the way, your art does look very animated.

7. Optimus-wave

Optimus-wave A.K.A. Omega-Wave

i REALLY dig the napoleon blast off, very animated design on him. Brawl looks less like a brawlster and more of a diplomat (stance wise i'm speaking about not his uber weapons lol). I would suggest making him a little wider above the waist and making him arms a little buff-er (???) but yeah. Love the design of blast off to an abnormal degree.

8. Tom-1

Tom-1 Well-Known Member

Thank you SO much, Op! : D

I actually thought Blast Off was TOO MUCH of a departure from his original look, at first. But since all the Combaticons look so annoyingly identical (Everyone but Swindle essentially has the same face XP ) I had to set him apart. He's a fancy gentleman, after all! XD

I take any and all suggestions to heart, and I agree that when the end comes around, Brawl will be a bit 'beefier'. : )

Also, I did some more sketching this afternoon. I now have the foundation for Vortex! I wanted to make him an Osprey, but I forgot Megatron was essentially one already. X( So, he may undergo a vehicle change.

His mouth is hidden unless he speaks, then it appears like the beak of a bird or turtle.

And I decided to change my intentions for Onslaught - I decided to go full-blown German theme by giving him a 'hat' and not a mohawk haha - He's essentially a wierd Striker APC/ICBM launcher hybrid. In between half-track mode and six wheels... Half track is more German-y, but six wheels is more modern. Hmm!

Tom

Attached Files:

9. TedimusPrime

Please keep on updating. These are nice sketches.

10. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    yeah, that's really well thought out. thanks for the shout out by the way :D . I must say, it gives the characters real personality when you have a nice, common theme like human military garb translated through to the bot mode. :thumbs2: 

11. Tom-1

Tom-1 Well-Known Member

Hey guys!

With a little spare time available, I drew some other Animated-y things. I have something special in mind, but I'd prefer to make that a 'finished' item rather than sketches. : )

Allright!

Nightbeat - Cybertron's Private Eye! Gave him a robo-fedora (or best attempt) and the beginnings of a trenchcoat. He's pondering!

Trailbreaker - With any of those 'original' 'bots (Wheeljack, Sunstreaker, Optimus) if you mess with their look, you're never going to hear the end of it. Thus, I kept most of Trailbreaker's primary features and added some other elements (Cybermanish head handles) to make him a little different.

Any opinions - good or bad - are welcome!

Tom

Attached Files:

• NB.jpg
      NB.jpg
      File size:
      270.6 KB
      Views:
    • TB1.jpg
      TB1.jpg
      File size:
      175.9 KB
      Views:
  12. Optimus-wave

Optimus-wave A.K.A. Omega-Wave

hmm, i'm rather put off by Vortex. It seems more gundam-y(?) you know the propellers look a bit too angular. I like the idea of Onslaught being a German military leader, kinda befitting. Although, the stance he's taking looks more heroic than evil might. I don't know, i'll just wait until the finished peice! (oh btw, really liking nightbeat, even the little magnifying glass lol)

13. Tom-1

Tom-1 Well-Known Member

Hey guys!

A colored sketch of the new Onslaught look:
    [​IMG]

And a favorite of mine (though, it's not hard to get that status) is the Autobot double agent: Punch!
    [​IMG]

I figure once the Autobots caught wind of Shockwave's time as Longarm Prime, they'd send out their own sneaky little guy to inform on the Decepticons.

As always, I'd love to hear your opinions : )

Tom