"Inside Geisel's World Of Wonder"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grimmjow, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

Before I begin, allow me to explain some things for anyone not in the know. First off, as many of you may already know, I'm a member of my high school marching band. Ok, now on to the title. Anyone not in the know is probably confused by it. Honestly, I was too when I first heard it announced as this year's marching band show. In case you don't know, Theodor Geisel is someone we are all probably quite familiar with...Dr Suess! This initially may sound too childish or simple or whatnot for a marching band show, especially for a competition band such as ours, but it's actually quite the opposite.

Ok, now that I've explained the title & everything, time to explain this show. An important piece of trivia for ya'll is that the writer intended for this show to be a Tim Burton type of take on Dr Suess stories. No, that doesn't mean it's a creepy show.

Our show is broken down into 4 parts or "movements".
    1st movement is "We're off And Away". This is where you - the audience - enters into the "World Of Wonder". We'll visualize this through our formations & by using props such as gates. This movement is based off of "Oh, The Places You'll Go".
    2nd movement is "The Cat In The Hat". This movement is kinda composed of 2 distinct parts, which I will refer to as part A & part B. Part A is about the Cat In The Hat himself. Part B however, is about Thing 1 & Thing 2...and yes, Part B is crazy & intense, & in a very fun way. Don't worry, you'll be able to tell where it becomes about Thing 1 & Thing 2, we have voice-overs & a lot of cool visual effects.
    3rd movement is "How The Grinch Stole Christmas". This movement is a bit simpler, but the music & the field formations for this do a good job of conveying the story of The Grinch.
    4th movement - the final movement - is "Horton Hears A Who". The music & drill both portray the important moments in the story. For example, the part where the Whos are about to be killed is a tense part, & it shows in the drill & music.
    Put all 4 of those together, & you get what will ultimately be one awesome show. For those wondering how long it lasts, the show clocks in at a total of 9 minutes & 15 seconds. Yeah, it's a long show, but we already had to cut a lot of ideas, & if we had cut anything else, the show wouldn't make sense, & our score at competitions would drop.

I will post a video at the end of the season so everyone can see this - AMAZING - show. If you wish to see this in person, I will put up a list of competition dates & locations soon just in case any are near you or you'll be in the area at that time or anything like that. I know this is quite lengthy, & I apologize for that, but it had to be in order for me to properly explain the show. This post is just like the show itself - any shorter & it wouldn't make sense. Anyways, please leave comments, I'd REALLY love to see everyone's thoughts on this.

2. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

UPDATE: Got drill for 4th movement, started putting first few sets on the field last night. Putting on more tomorrow night, & the rest on Saturday.

3. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ok now as most people know I'm a high school music teacher of 11 years. I ahve taught field show marching bands (though in CA, I understand that mid western and southern field show bands are a bit different)
    I would love to see your show as I enjoy watching stuff like this and have been to my fair share of competitions. I will see if any of mine are on youtube as well. My Moulin Rouge show is my favorite.
    It sounds like a great show and I wish you luck!

4. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    here it is
    Leigh High School Marching Band - Moulin Rouge - 2001 - YouTube
    THis was my first year of teeaching and I was the assistant director and writer to this show. The school I was teaching at Branham high school was starting a field show program and we didn't have enough so as an 8th period they were allwoed to particiapte with Leigh High School.
    The most difficult part about this? Moulin ROugh had JUST come out that summer so there was NO music written and no DVD out yet, Rich and I took a tape recorder into the movie theater and wrote all this by ear.
    THis isn't our best presentation of the show and it looks like our windmill in the background isn't even working, lol.
    We won all top awards at this competition though.
    My favorite part is at 6:15 with the trick flash cubes

5. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

6. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

We finally used our props & sound effects & colorguard costumes & flags in our performance last night. Don't have all the costumes & flags done yet, & I'm fairly certain there's more props we'll be getting. Since it was at a football game, we only had time for the first 2 movements, but at the county band Exhibition on Tuesday(it got postponed a week due to weather), we'll perform all 4. Can't wait to put up a video of this show for everyone to see. But I must say, the lack of responses in this is very depressing.

7. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think if the title were different like Field show marching badn then people might know what it is, Giesel's World of Wonder people don't know what that is so they don't look

8. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

I thought such an odd title would make people look to see what it is. Besides, I checked & noticed there's actually a decent amount of views, just barely any responses. However, I'm glad you've followed this thread. Did you watch the video I posted of last year's show?

9. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

We had our exhibition today, & I can hardly believe I was ever nervous about it, our run-through of the show was absolutely AMAZING!! Yeah, the 4 bands who went on before us were good & people liked them, but when we went on, we had the crowd going completely wild, even the other bands! It was possibly the best run of the show we've ever had. Not sure if there'll be a video from tonight, but if there is, I'll definitely post it!

10. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

Had our first competition today! There was a total of 8 bands there, we got 4th place overall, our percussion got 2nd place, our colorguard got 1st place, & we also won fan-favorite! Best we've ever done this early in the season, so I'm feeling pretty dang good about our next 3 competitions...especially our final one, the Bands Of America Super Regional at the Georgia Dome on October 27th.

11. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

Competed at the Bands Of America Regional at Jacksonville State University in Alabama yesterday & made finals! In the preliminaries, we placed 4th out of 26 bands. In finals, we placed 10th out of 10 bands. Both runs were good, our finals run just wasn't quite as good. Either way, the fact we made finals is amazing!

12. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

Had the McEachern High School Marching Invitational yesterday, got 2nd in our class! Our percussion & our colorguard got 1st. BTW, just a bit of trivia here, McEachern High School used to be a college...not sure how long ago that was though.

13. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

Had the Bands Of America Super Regional at the Georgia Dome yesterday! Our run-through was the best we've ever done, yet somehow, for some odd reason...we didn't make finals. After watching the bands who did make it into finals, I'm completely confused as to how some of them got in instead of us, especially when I consider how clean our run-through was. But oh well, nothing to be upset over. Yeah, making finals is awesome, but it's ok that we didn't make it this time because we did the best we could & more importantly, put our hearts & souls into that run-through. While I would've loved making finals, the fact that we gave it our all means a lot more to me.

14. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wait to make a judgement like that until you see a video of your performance. You are too involved in the performance and aren't watching it from a far you are on the field in the middle of everything to judge how formations looked and everything.

Even as a choir director I don't make those assessments until I hear a recording of the choir or see a video becuase as I am conducting I'm too involved and too in the middloe of things.

Take a step back view it from afar then make a judgement.

15. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

I could tell from dressing the forms & from how we sounded & from everyone's attitudes that everyone gave it their all & that we did great. Not sure what our placement was, but we'll know tomorrow.

16. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thats not something you can tell while inside formation actually playing the song

17. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

Well, I do suppose you can't tell how the entire form looks...but what I could see looked mostly correct. A few lines were wrong, but again, this is only what I could see. I'll see the video tomorrow & then I'll be able to determine what kept us out of finals...and if the video doesn't tell me, the judge tapes sure will. And yes, I will post a video after our final competition next weekend.

18. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    remember you are also biased (its not an offensive thing i have to tell myself the same thing) try to look objectively look more like a judge doesm they are looking for mistakes more than they are looking for what you did well so look for as many mistakes as possible with your set and maybe that might help

19. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

None of the band parents said they saw anything major that should've kept us out, but they're also biased. One thing I'm guessing is our poor acting. Most other bands showed emotion & if they had a a character to portray, they made it believable. Unfortunately, most of my fellow band members aren't too fond of our visuals, & just kinda go through the motions. But I get to hear a few judge tapes today, & hopefully see the video, so I'll know the true cause.

20. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

Got the placements & everything from Saturday for ya'll! There were 34 bands there, 12 went to finals. We were 17th place. We got a score of 75.95 & a superior rating.