Insecticons- What's in a Face?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Stygian360, May 21, 2012.

1. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

I have a question for the more astute among you. How is it that one of the myriad Insecticons on Prime (all of whom look exactly alike and are based on the same CGI model) now has a name and voice separate from the herd? Aren't they all essentially 'Hardshell' when you come down to it? Why go so far as to name one of them and have it speak when there doesn't appear to be any individuality amongst the group? Kind of the same thing as calling out one specific Vehicon and giving it a name (and Steve doesn't count) to differentiate it. Virtually meaningless when you consider their life expectancy.

In the G1 cartoon Kickback, Bombshell, and Shrapnel obviously all had separate bot/insect modes and personalities, but the current Insecticons seem much more amalgamous, so why the need to call out Hardshell specifically, and ultimately... what makes him so special as to be his own guy?

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How about we wait for the episode to see what earned him a name and the tattoos?

3. NexusPrime99

NexusPrime99 Rising Radicon

Ebay:
    he has tattoos. also, he can speak, and more then likely can think for himself like any normal bot. rather then the simple minded drone insecticons who strictly do what their told. the insecticons would be so much more powerful if they had a mind and personality of their own, able to take in a situation, and make decisions based on whats going on. thats what hardshell can do.

4. UTF

UTF Manifestation of /toy/

News Credits:
    Because he has tattoos.

5. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Judging by how easily he catches he catches Bulkhead's punch, the fact he actually talked to his foe and has those markings upon him, it seems Hardshell is stronger and more intelligent than his brethren. If Insecticons are the elite troops to regular Decepticons, then he is the elite trooper to Insections.

Considering how powerful regular Insecticons are, this is highly ominous.

6. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We still don't know that much about Insecticons. Vehicons may be generic, but they aren't that dumb and they aren't completely mindless. The Insecticons spent most of their time under Airachnid's control. They aren't talkative and Megatron does refer to Knock Out's new pal by just the generic term, but it's entirely possible that getting a name and tattoos just results from having a little more chutzpah and initiative!

7. Stygian360

Wow... I guess everyone has much better eagle-eyed peepers than I do because I totally missed the fact that he has tattoos. Anyone have a quick screen grab of this? I can of course check the preview for Toxicity later to see it for myself, but a screen grab would be helpful!

It is interesting how, when the Insecticons attempted their coupe under the guidance of Airrachnid and that whole thing went bust, the Insecticons just calmly folded into Megatron's army without much of a peep after. Those troops could have been in-fighting for dominance in the chain of command and working their way into various roles of prominance during interim... perhaps like Hardshell?

And normally I would agree with the person who pointed out that we should just wait for the episode to have these things answered, but based on many of the comments after the preview for Toxicity went up, people seem to know much more about Hardshell than I do. Thought perhaps he had some kind of history in the lore which explained why he's being called out as separate and special from the other Insecticons.

8. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Because even Stormtroopers have names. The one who gets a tattoo on his armor is just hardcore.

9. Steve2477

Steve2477 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well one of those Insecticons had to lead the rest to Earth from Cybertron. That one is the alpha dog.

10. Stygian360

Well... if in fact there was a leader amongst them to begin with, why were they so easily manipulated by Airrachnid? If they share a sympathetic attachment to whatever 'control' Airrachnid is able to exert I'm surprised that Hardshell didn't step forward during that time and have his number counted, if even for a moment even if he eventually fell back into line just like the rest.

I guess where I'm going with all of this is Hardshell seems to have come completely out of nowhere. The Insecticons went from a nameless horde to all of a sudden one of their number is an individual... all in the space of a few episodes.

Again, I'm sure we'll learn all in next weeks episode and this discussion has been fun as speculation if nothing else.

11. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Blasphemy!

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hardshell is Hasbro's "new" name for Bombshell. However, I doubt this character will have that much in common with Bombshell. It's still a shout-out to a very important Insecticon in the lore.

13. Flexx Ark

Flexx Ark Cyberverse Completionist

News Credits:
    So this is "bugging" you too?:confused: ;) 

14. Chaplain

Chaplain Well-Known Member

Hardshell to the Insecticons is most probably like Thrust to the Motorcycle Drones. More intelligent, stronger and has decals to set him aside from the cannon fodder.

15. Drunk-Wheeljack

Drunk-Wheeljack MrTomo

Wall Photos | Facebook

Here you go
    According to this, HARDSHELL is "Bombshell" but with a different name, and he appears in FOC, that is an in-game screenshot of him from the FOC game, which I believe was connected (very loosely) to Prime

16. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Remember Beast Machines with the Vehicon Generals, how they looks exactly like their drones only bigger and with yellow on them?
    Same thing. Now I'm not complaining when I say, I just hope they don't do the same thing with Shockwave.

17. Drunk-Wheeljack

Drunk-Wheeljack MrTomo

I so hope they don't do this

at least with Hardshell he has those awesome tattoo's and what seems to be a sweet voice

18. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    ever thought maybe the hoard of insecticons are hardshells mindless clones? thats why he can speak and they can't

19. Kilowog

Kilowog ORA ORA ORA

Ebay:
    Figured I'd ask this in this thread instead of making a new one, but does anyone remember or have a screen on hand of the Insecticon that Megatron fought? I don't remember if it had tattoos or not, just that he actually gave Megatron a fight and lasted a hell of a lot longer than any of the insecticons we've seen since

20. Drunk-Wheeljack

Drunk-Wheeljack MrTomo

he also killed that Insecticon, so doubtful that there would be any connection between Hardshell and the one from that episode