Insecticons Eating ability

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MenasorMaster, Jun 29, 2010.

1. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

Do you like their ability ?? They can at organic and inorganic material to power themselves and dont need energon. All transformers should have this abilite, because if they are super advanced robots why are they only powered by a single Energy source ?? Wouldnt it be better if they can be powered with nearly everthing ??

2. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

well i'd just point out that transformers don't just rely on one energy source. if you look at the g1 cartoon, a number of energy sources (oil, minerals, water and solar power, etc) can be converted into a usable substance (energon). so to say they only rely on "a single energy source" is a bit misleading.

that said, maybe the insecticons do that conversion in their stomachs? they were certainly an anomaly in the g1 cartoon.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've always seen it as where Soundwave has to produce the energon cubes from his chest and then they're externally filled with oil or whatever to become proper energon, the Insecticons do that process internally. Perhaps they produce internal empty energon shells and whatever they eat is injected into those and then converted to proper energon for their personal use.

Does that make sense?
    Heh - I wrote my post and I didn't even see this. ^

4. MenasorMaster

5. MrByatis

MrByatis Questioning Rumble

News Credits:
    Go talk to Vangelus he may have some ideas about that

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Not so fast. While they did display the ability to eat pretty much anything, they still got bribed into helping Megatron a number of times because he offered them Energon. While Megatron usually only gave them small amounts of Energon (compared to the usual stockpiple of large Energon cubes he was keeping for his main army), the Insecticons still agreed to help out the 'Cons for a while. This implies that even though the Insecticons could get energy from pretty much anything and everything, Energon was still something they desired, so the energy they got from non-Energon sources must have been enough only to keep them functioning whereas Energon could keep them going for a while longer.

And while Energon itself is the singular fuel source for all Cybertronians, it's been shown that it can be made from various energy sources by simply placing an empty Energon cube next to any viable energy source, from which the energy is presumably drained from the machine and into the cube for later use by a Cybertronian. I'm guessing Energon is a sort of liqufied form of Energy, the derived power a TF can get from it dependent on where the Energon came from (in the show, it was stated that the oil in everybody's favorite Middle Eastern country; Carbombya, could be used to make super-empowering Energon), but the percentage of energy gained from consumption is at least near, if not at, 100%. Also, considering that the Cybertronian race comes from a planet totally made out of metal and can't support any organic life whatsoever, what the Hell could they consume other than liqufied energy? Of course, this is coming from a fiction that was started in the mid-80's to sell a line of transforming action figures, so as long as it sold toys (which it did, since it's still around 25 years later) it didn't need to make actual sense, just sound like it did.

Also, the consumption of Energon, being a form of energy directly from an energy source, actually is more efficent than being able to simply eat anything in sight ala Insecticons. This is related with the way energy is transfered through a food chain. In a typical food chain (Energy source/Sun -> Grass/Primary producer -> herbivore/Primary consumer -> 1st tier carnivore/secondary consumer ->2nd tier carnivore/tertiary), with the rays of the Sun being 1000 units of energy, the amount of energy transfered through each step is only about 1/10th of what came before it. So if Shrapnel ate, let's say a 2nd tier carnivore, he's only getting .1 unit of energy from what was 1000 units, where as if he ate an equivelent amount of Energon that had come directly from the sun, that's at least 100 units of energy following the way energy moves through a system (it's probably closer to a total 1000 since Sharpnel, being a robot, doesn't need to convert any energy into biomass). Therefore, since Energon can only be produced from other forms of energy (like oil apparently, ala MTMTE pts 1 and 2), it will always have more energy than what anything else could possibly provide for giant robots.

And that's not even getting into the fact they'd need organic digestive systems to actually consume anything other than Energon.

EDIT: Didn't see that it's been stated the Insecticons do have some sort of stomach, but it seems exclusive to them anyways.

7. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    So the real question is do Insecticons need to take a hefty dump after eating to make energy?

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Funny as that is, its unlikely. They probably just convert matter into energy similar to how they can shunt mass.

I always figured it was because energon was a denser power source than the other mediums, so it was more efficient for the cybertronians to work with than to chug oil or tie themselves into solar panels on a daily basis.

9. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    'Shunting mass' sounds like a term the Insecticons may use to describe dumping waste matter after making energon:
    "I'm just gonna kick back and mass shunt a bombshell. Hopefully not the spiky kind which feels like shrapnel."

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i just never understood how Soundwave was the only TF (that i know of, anyway) to lactate geometry...
    he was standing around, pumping out empty energon cubes and having em filled.

would it make sense that Octane or possibly Astrotrain could do that?

at any rate, i think it was fascinating that the insecticons could actually eat and convert it to fuel. explaining how it works, i never lost sleep over, lol.

11. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's probably why they were always eating. Non-Energon might give them energy but they run through it fast before getting more. Energon is much more efficient & will last longer.

12. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

So the Insections basically ate organic matter such as grass and trees and converted the energy into a type of bio fuel. I believe being on earth for millions of years not deactivated like the other decepticons on the Ark made them adapt to an environment lacking in energon.

13. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

Megatron bribing them with energon isn't the same as them not having the ability to create energon. To use an analogy-you want a pizza, when suddenly your friend offers you a pizza. You are gonna take your friend's pizza before you get up and cook your own-are you not?

14. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Not totally made of metal. Cybertron has lakes rivers also pretty much like Coruscant a planet cocooned by cities. Cybertron isn't an artificial planet but a planet with a layers of cities built around it.

Also during the Golden Age the planetary infrastructure itself contained the energy. Nine million years of constant warfare rained all that which forced both the Autobots and Decepticons to look for other sources of energy.

15. MenasorMaster

isnt there already a robot who can eat plants, barks etc. to refuel himself ??

16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Oh, right, I frogot about the fact Cybertron was retconed into being an organic planet totally covered in metal in G1.

Not that I know of. I once heard of an experimental robot that was built to see if a digestive system could be replicated, but that was years ago so I don't think much ever came out of that.